HostGator Shuts down sites with no warning and no alert and they have no clue

Hi All,

I signed up for a HG "BabyGator" plan and paid for a couple of years in advance. I moved my site from APlus in the hopes of upgrading the technical support a little bit - due to some issues with ftp support despite the fact that APlus was really quite good in most matters - just prior to doing an email launch of my site.

Since that time it has been nothing but grief with HG shutting down my site due to "processes" hitting my site based upon the fact that i have a handful of email addresses as well as a laptop, desktop and iPhone. After a TON OF GRIEF - in part caused by some well-meaning but extremely poorly informed frontline support - i am back to square one.

In short i have tried to reconfigure my email accounts so that they would immediately get forwarded to a GMail account from HG so that my email clients wouldn't leave 25 "processes" on the server and promptly shut down my site. Of course i would not know it was shut down until i went online to upgrade my site at which point i find i cannot log in due to the fact that it was shut down.

While this lasted for awhile i have concluded that this is just absolutely unworkable because i cannot tell where my email is coming from. This workaround is like asking me to keep all my paper records in one file cabinet in one folder or something. I mean, i did this in an absolute panic because i had just launched an email only to find out my site was shut down and after about fifteen tech support calls i finally figured out there were no settings in Mac Mail that would prevent this and that moving back to Thunderbird was a ridiculous solution. In fact i believe using Sparrow also shut down the site irrespective of "helpful suggestions" and "helpful white papers" on this topic from HG.

Sorry for the lengthy post but i definitely feel like i got the bait and switch from this host and rather than starting a flame war i was hoping that longtime users could suggest another host that i can sign up for and/or recommend moving back to APlus.

TIA and apologies if that sounded like a complaint since i really want to move FORWARD by posting this.

- jayz

Quick free solution for your mail would be to sign up at www.outlook.com , and forward your domains MX records towards the microsoft live service.
    they give you 50free inboxes, with a nice web interface.
    that will offload all mail activity from your hosting server.

Host Gator is great brand with good servers past year. But It seem they have difference management since it changes ownership.

I believe they have process limit for shared or reseller clients since last several years:

http://support.hostgator.com/article...rocesses-limit
    || Web Hosting Blog - Web Hosting security & latest web hosting industry Announcements
    || Web Hosting Discussion - A Web Hosting community

Quote Originally Posted by beastserv View Post
    Quick free solution for your mail would be to sign up at www.outlook.com , and forward your domains MX records towards the microsoft live service.
    they give you 50free inboxes, with a nice web interface.
    that will offload all mail activity from your hosting server.
    I agree, this would be the most efficient solution for you. I'd take it one step further and use an external DNS server pointing your MX records to your email server and your A records to the site server, which will keep your email live even if the site is shut down.
    -----------------------------------
    AmeriWeb Hosting
    One Stop Business Solutions
    AmeriWeb Hosting

they may have process limit , but if they suspend ur site without warning its not fair.
    LankaPartnerHost.Com
    Canada Anti DDOS Webhosting, Reseller Hosting, WHMsonic, WHMsonic Resellers

Most low cost shared hosting providers have similar limits. If you aren't interested in using external MX, then you'll need to go with a VPS, semi-dedicated, or a shared host that acts more like a semi-dedicated service (where they don't limit you to such a low number of simultaneous connections).
    BannerView.com - Energize your Business Online, powered by BannerOS, the platform that turns your website into a powerful business tool.
    Build your own website powered by BannerOS with our DIY service.

Unfortunately this is another example of the additional restrictions imposed by many "unlimited" hosting offers -- also known as "limits".

mis·lead·ing
    misˈlēdiNG/
    adjective
    adjective: misleading

giving the wrong idea or impression.
    "your article contains a number of misleading statements"
    synonyms: deceptive, confusing, deceiving, equivocal, ambiguous, fallacious, specious, spurious, false

OP: Sorry to hear about your situation. There are many respectable managed hosting providers here at WHT who don't impose these additional restrictions and provide top-notch shared and reseller hosting packages, just keep in mind that it's going to cost a bit more than those "BlueGatorMonster" providers. From a "provider-to-provider" standpoint, while I've not been a customer, I have a great deal of respect for MDDHosting. Stable, straightforward, and probably one of the most honest providers you'll come across. You might check their packages out. Keep in mind it's always a good idea to really comb through a provider's ToS. There may be some limitations, but in those cases, you'll find that a lot of providers are willing to work with you about this, before suspending service without warning. It really depends on the resource usage vs. their ToS, but in many cases they'll try to. Hope everything works out for you.

There are many, many complaints about Hostgator since the buyout last year.
    Just use a better host, and the problems almost always go away.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Their Mail policy seems weird

------------

"Per our mail policy, most of our servers have a limit of 30 POP3/IMAP checks per hour per IP address.

Once the limit is reached, the server stores the check as a process to be handled after the 30 checks reset; however, more requests from your mail client keep coming. Therefore, more and more processes are stored until the 25 process limit is reached, bringing your site down with a 500 error message."

-------------

I pop my emails every minute , that could be the reason why i find it wierd

Too OCD.

No need to really check more than every 5 minutes unless expecting something urgent.
    Do you really just stare at email all day?

I have email on a dedicated server, and don't do more than that unless needed.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    Too OCD.
    Lol .

Our business depends a lot on response and resolution times .

Yeah, I didn't even notice your sig. Oops! Yeah, I'd want a quick response too.

But I'd still do like every 2-3 minutes at most.
    || Need a good host?
    ||

Hostgator used to a good hosting company before.now after EIG buy out ,they are not what they used to be.I even have to wait like 30 min to talk in live chat

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    Yeah, I didn't even notice your sig. Oops! Yeah, I'd want a quick response too.
    no worries