Hybrid View

HostTheName review + Need your advice on choosing a better host for low traffic blogs

I'm using a shared hosting plan on hostthename.com for 2 years. Page load time has been very slow for more than a year now. The blogs run on WordPress and get about 50 uniques/day. Every time I contact the tech support about my blogs loading for 10 seconds or more, I've been told that the plugins are causing it. Then I disable all plugins and load time decreases with just 1 second. The tech support then replies that I need to contact my web developer because there is nothing wrong on their end.
    This scenario has been repeating over and over again for the past 2 years.

Recently, hostthename moved my account to a new hardware platform without letting me know prior to that. After the transfer, everything got even worse. Along with other new technical issues, now the CPU usage is near or at 100% every time someone loads a single page on any of my blogs. I had a developer looking into the issue, but he didn't find anything wrong. The tech support says that there is nothing wrong with their server, and that I should either switch to their $55/mo VPS plan or contact my web developer to limit the usage of resources.

I'm in a desperate need to find another hosting provider. I'm really tired of spending more time dealing with hosting issues than spending on developing the blogs.

Any advises are greatly appreciated.

First thing to do is look at your raw log file. Do you see a bunch of POST /wp-login.php hits? If you, then you are getting hit with a brute force login attack, and you need to install a security plugin like Better WP Security.
    No Support Linux Hosting Bargain cPanel Hosting Experts Only
    We IGNORE the support questions, and pass the SAVINGS on to YOU!
    We also ignore questions about VPS Hosting

@NoSupportLinuxHostin
    Thank you for your suggestion. However, I've checked, and it doesn't appear that to be the problem.

review hostthename

Regarding hostthename review:
    Even my account is still paid for more than a year, Iīm leaving them right now and may my account go to hell or anywhere.
    Canīt bear their lousy service anymore: downtime of 12 hours up to some days per month, their uptime warranty of 99,99% must be a joke. And when their servers IP gets blacklisted your in a big mess: you canīt send any e-mails anymore and they need days to fix, This time Iīm waiting for a week now and until now nada, nothing.

Good suggestions, but I think the OP is past the point of return with HostTheName:

Quote Originally Posted by gessler View Post
    Canīt bear their lousy service anymore: downtime of 12 hours up to some days per month, their uptime warranty of 99,99% must be a joke.

Sorry to hear about your problems with Hostthename.

I can personally recommend EZPZHosting. They run a tight ship.

Also, you might want to check the offers section. If you act soon, you should still be able to score some savings from the remaining black friday (not to mention upcoming cyber monday sales).

Are you using any type of caching or php accelerator? Perhaps their servers are just slow or overloaded? Have you checked the server status via cPanel to see if this is the case or not?

But those suggestions are important all the same. If the way the site is set up contributes to the slowness, they risk moving to a new host and finding that things are a bit better but that the problem hasn't ever really gone away.
    Not as active on WHT as I used to be, but still drop in and receive email notifications from here.
    My personal blog site: https://www.oakleys.org.uk/blog

To test the speed of the server i would reccomend to ping the server address to see if it is really your site content or the server itself.

Use your ip given to you it should be in your hosting control panel ping this and not your domain name to see server response times.

I hope this helps. and good luck finding your ideal host.
    www.avrixe.com
    Shared Hosting Provider

Unfortunate.

Make sure you check the reviews of the new host before signing up.

Quote Originally Posted by creativeweb1 View Post
    To test the speed of the server i would reccomend to ping the server address to see if it is really your site content or the server itself.

Use your ip given to you it should be in your hosting control panel ping this and not your domain name to see server response times.

I hope this helps. and good luck finding your ideal host.
    Most slow sites that are caused by a slow server are because the database / PHP / web server are overloaded and run slowly; the ping time is rarely going to be the issue.
    Not as active on WHT as I used to be, but still drop in and receive email notifications from here.
    My personal blog site: https://www.oakleys.org.uk/blog

It was just a thought as this can help determine slow connection to server. maybe test by creating subdomain with simple html file and connect to it to see if it runs slow. If so then it is the server. 9 times out of 10 thought it is wordpress that causes the issue and overbloated mysql.
    www.avrixe.com
    Shared Hosting Provider

It sounds like a bit of both here to me. I would certainly say that there is possibly 1 or more plugins contributing to the poor performance issues, and possibly a lack of tuning of the Server on the hosts side as well.

OP - since you are moving, it might be a good idea to ask your new (prospective) host if they tune the mysql and Apache configuration on their shared hosting servers.

It only takes 1 bad plugin to really affect the Performance, what performance profiling have you done of your Wordpress installation? As a minimum, Install the P3 Plugin and verify that you are "squeaky-clean" yourself before changing to a new host.
    CPanel Shared and Reseller Hosting, OpenVZ VPS Hosting. West Coast (LA) Servers and Nodes
    Running Linux since 1.0.8 Kernel!
    Providing Internet Services since 1995 and Hosting Since 2004

My hostthename account is still paid for a year, but I left them for good. I was thinkng to move to crocweb since they use SSDs but ended up moving to hawkhost, and now my blogs are noticeably faster. I should've done this much earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by kaleco View Post
    My hostthename account is still paid for a year, but I left them for good.
    This -- You should never pay for a long time in advance! If a host is "bad" then you are stuck with whatever sort of service they do or do not provide. It sounded like a bargain to pay for X years and get y% discount, but because you have now abandoned them (really hope you cancelled the service as well so you don't get charged again in 12 months time) they were in fact probably more expensive than paying for a reputable/decent host up-front!

Anyway, best of luck with your new host.
    CPanel Shared and Reseller Hosting, OpenVZ VPS Hosting. West Coast (LA) Servers and Nodes
    Running Linux since 1.0.8 Kernel!
    Providing Internet Services since 1995 and Hosting Since 2004

@RRWH you are absolutely correct. I learned my lesson and hope less people make such mistake of signing up with a new hosting company for multiple years.