Flexible Webhost for Photographer / Writer / Artist

Hej,

I am looking for a webhost that offers a good bit of flexibility to grow a site into.

What I need:

* At the beginning: just a bit of webspace 100-200 mb should easily be enough. But - I'd want to increase [or, if necessary, reduce] the available storage fairly easily.

* I'd like to run koken (see google; can't add links, yet) as a base, so PHP 5.2.0 / MySQL 5 / ImageMagick or GD or newer are base requirements.

*I'd like to host a good number of different websites on the same server ... i.e. be able to have a few urls with different content sit next to each other [registering domain names separately]: As I am doing a lot of long-term art works and curate them online these would have their own individual domain, each. This is another aspect that'll grow and I'd rather not be limited here.

* Multiple (MySQL) databases; unlikely I'll need hundreds, but room to grow and keep different projects separate would be great.

* UK or EU based. Reliable. Would pay a bit of a premium for good, responsive customer service, but am on a budget for now (which, again, might grow alongside the website(s)). Cheap at the beginning (two / three websites next to each other, a couple hundred MB storage space) - the flexibility to grow is, as said, a key aspect.

* Am an advanced user so having a reasonable amount of control over settings on the server would be good - or at least to be able to discuss altering things to suit my projects when necessary. (Edit: It rarely is a problem; one or two cases where a server site setting limited what I could do, though.)

* Being able to run OwnCloud - or a propriety cloud storage with a linux client - would be a plus, but not a must.

Any suggestions?

Best,
    -C.
    Last edited by Mnemon; 10-22-2013 at 01:16 PM.

for what you need I think a cheap vps (in the uk) would be the best bet.

Quote Originally Posted by criminalspeed View Post
    for what you need I think a cheap vps (in the uk) would be the best bet.
    A VPS for his requirements will be an overkill at this point. Getting multiple shared hosting accounts or a reseller account for his various sites re the best routes to go.

I disagree. With VPS being so cheap now (you can get ssd cached from Ramnode for 2 dollars a month). There is very little case for choosing shared hosting over a vps unless your knowledge is limited. If offers far more control and flexibility.

Quote Originally Posted by JFSG View Post
    A VPS for his requirements will be an overkill at this point. Getting multiple shared hosting accounts or a reseller account for his various sites re the best routes to go.
    I agree. A decent shared plan should suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by criminalspeed View Post
    I disagree. With VPS being so cheap now (you can get ssd cached from Ramnode for 2 dollars a month). There is very little case for choosing shared hosting over a vps unless your knowledge is limited. If offers far more control and flexibility.
    As the saying goes, you get what you paid for.

Does that $2 come with:
    - cPanel
    - secured and optimised server
    - LiteSpeed
    - Managed support
    - Reliability

I don't know about Ramnode but I can't imagine decent uptime at such budget level.

If you are an experienced sys admin and comfortable with doing everything using SSH then go ahead but the average Joe can't.

Ye; I don't want / need a VPS at this point. Later on, maybe, but that comes back to wanting a hosting company that offers that flexibility - where moving on to something else isn't a major pain, when - and if - I want/need to. The few exceptions where I need something a bit out of the ordinary are likely to be the exception - some creative projects may involve a bit of web trickery though. I can't plan ahead for that long term - it depends what projects I come up with and what is / will be funded. I do have the ability to control / manage a server if I'd need to, but would rather not spend the time and effort doing so (have tasks of far higher priority for what I do for a living!).

I want to be with a _sensible_ responsive webhost more than anything else, really. I don't need the newest bells and whistles or latest buzzwords covered, but rather someone that I can work with and a company that understands that needs change. Flexibility / reliability / quality of hosting are what matters to me.

Note that I am not unreasonable, at that, of course. I know things take time, people are busy. But - there's some really inflexible webhosts out there that are very much set on what they offer and what not; and others that are hard to communicate and work with; and others, still, that fall in both camps. Those are the ones I'd want to avoid. [I do have a run-of-the mill style webhost that offers standardised packages and nothing else aside - which is cheap and fine for what I do with that site; this, however, requires a bit more ]

-C.
    Last edited by Mnemon; 10-22-2013 at 10:09 PM.

That proverb is not always true. Take cars, for example: Sometimes you'll buy a vehicle that gives you nothing but trouble (even if it's very expensive) but some cars that cost less are a lot more reliable.

Since we are using cliche proverbs how about "a fool and his money are easily parted".

You can get whms and cpanel included with a vps. My point still stands a VPS is a better solution almost every time to shared hosting provided you have some basic linux knowledge.

"I don't know about Ramnode but I can't imagine decent uptime at such budget level."
    Instead of dispensing advice without actually knowing you should educate yourself.

ramnode is rated #1 on lowendbox. They are pretty much the darlings of SSD/cached affordable vps providers right now. They are just one example. The difference in bandwidth and disk I/O from like your dreamhost and a good vps is night and day. There are plenty of quality vps providers now a days for under 5 bucks a month that are rock solid look them up. Like anything you can get a bad vps provider to if you don't do your homework.

Like a lot of us here I started on awful shared hosting 1and1, and dreamhost etc. It's not a better choice to a vps ever, if you have even a modicum of desire to learn and pay less. You don't have to be a sys admin either there are a ton of straightforward guides on howtoforge.
    Last edited by criminalspeed; 10-22-2013 at 10:23 PM.

Thanks criminalspeed! JFSG - there are plenty of hosts who offer more than us for less (in terms of resources), but I think we're at a good spot to be reliable and affordable while also being sustainable.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick A View Post
    Thanks criminalspeed! JFSG - there are plenty of hosts who offer more than us for less (in terms of resources), but I think we're at a good spot to be reliable and affordable while also being sustainable.
    I just checked out your site and your prices seem to be profitable in the unmanaged business. I thought criminalspeed meant that he can get a VPS capable of running a site smoothly (I'll look at minimally 512MB and that is pushing it) for just $2 a month and that sounded absurd to me. No offence intended.

I've had a small photo/portfolio site at Stablehost in the past. It worked great. (Site is offline right now, for a redesign.)

They have EU (Amsterdam) servers. It's been fine for 4+ years now. So that's my recommendation for this.

You don't need a VPS. Stablehost has semi-dedicated plans. And if ever you do get a VPS, you want one that's managed with cPanel, most likely. Ignore those that say " get a cheap VPS!" because they're not telling you the whole story. That's a nightmare waiting to happen if you're not very skilled the servers. (Most of the people that suggest that are not skilled either. They just follow blogs via Google, and simply know enough to be dangerous.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mnemon View Post
    Ye; I don't want / need a VPS at this point.-C.
    Agreed, a VPS would be more than you need. I'm sure you already know that the extent to which a host will customise a shared server for your project is limited. As long as you realise that, you just need to find someone who will do their best to work with you. I doubt you'd find anyone who'd make promises about as-yet unspecified configuration changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mnemon View Post
    Being able to run OwnCloud - or a propriety cloud storage with a linux client - would be a plus, but not a must.
    Now that's one to ask them about before signing up. Most shared hosts can run OwnCloud without any difficulty. However not all shared hosts would allow you to do so - in that some hosts have a clause in their TOC that prohibit storing files for backup or archive purposes, saying that all files in your webspace must be directly accessible via your website.

Which is why I say you should ask about this before choosing.

Even I would suggest you to buy multiple shared hosting plans according to your requirements/projects. The other option can also be reseller package, wherein you can customize your own package.

Check out the offers forum.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesOakley View Post
    Which is why I say you should ask about this before choosing.
    Ye - I'd hoped to get some recommendations and tap into past experiences / suggestions of communication friendly hosts from others here, rather than having to go for a scatter gun approach. Helps with short listing .

Did pick up the one or the other I am interested in though, from discussions elsewhere on the forum.

Thank you all.

-C.