Talk to me about Interworx

We're looking into Interworx's clustering ability. I'd love to hear feedback from anyone who currently has this deployed in a production environment. How is stability? Does it work as advertised? Have you experimented with setting up a failover controller node? What do your users think of the interface? How does it stand up to a major surge in traffic?

I was reading through their documentation, and I only see the round robin method of server rotation listed. What other methods are in there?

Thanks.
    Fresh Roasted Hosting :: High-performance Harrisburg web hosting since 2012!
    "The only thing better than the world's best customer service is never needing them in the first place."
    Shared :: VPS :: Reseller :: Dedicated :: Co-Location :: SSL Certificates

I got a demo license from Brett to try it out and get to know it more, and I like it, it's easier to set-up and configure. If your customers want their mates or colleagues to use their SiteWorx, they can make accounts and set limits. You need the Unlimited domain license for clustering that I understand from Brett.

They separate the reseller accounts to the main accounts which I think makes life easier, and they have some nice themes to choose from and you can make your own theme.
    Licensecart - We only sell High Quality licenses
    Visit us @ Licensecart.com ~ sales(➾)licensecart.com ~ webhostbundle.com
    WHT isn't what it used to be… power changes people :]

Quote Originally Posted by CW Mike View Post
    I got a demo license from Brett to try it out and get to know it more, and I like it, it's easier to set-up and configure. If your customers want their mates or colleagues to use their SiteWorx, they can make accounts and set limits. You need the Unlimited domain license for clustering that I understand from Brett.

They separate the reseller accounts to the main accounts which I think makes life easier, and they have some nice themes to choose from and you can make your own theme.
    So far I like the overall look and feel of it. The built-in cPanel / DA / Plesk / SSH importers are a nice touch, too. I'm standing up a few servers to play around with the clustering just as soon as these memory prices come back down / 32 GB ECC unregistered becomes available again.

I know that for each product that features clustering, load balancing, or anything else that even resembles HA, there tends to be a lot of "well yeah, technically it does work, but it only supports Debian 3.0 and then only on the second Thursday of each month" reported on WHT. I was wondering if anybody has seen that on Interworx.
    "The only thing better than the world's best customer service is never needing them in the first place."

The interworx clustering works pretty good on any OS they support. True HA-Redundancy is coming soon too.

Plus side is they take security pretty serious aswell.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    The interworx clustering works pretty good on any OS they support. True HA-Redundancy is coming soon too.

Plus side is they take security pretty serious aswell.
    Good to hear. HA will be very, very welcome. Does the load balancing hold up well when a node suddenly drops out?

I love the feel of Interworx. We prefer Interworx over cPanel and will eventually move our internal stuff over to it.
    ColoInSeattle - From 1U to cage space colocation in Seattle
    ServerStadium - Affordable Dedicated Servers
    Come visit our 18k sq ft. facility in Seattle!
    Managed Private Cloud | Colocation | Disaster Recovery | Dedicated Servers

Does interworx have something like cPanel dns?

Quote Originally Posted by slyjackal View Post
    Does interworx have something like cPanel dns?
    DNS Only?

No. I do not believe so.
    Patrick William | RACK911 Labs | Software Security Auditing
    400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com

www.HostingSecList.com - Security notices for the hosting community.

@FRH Lisa - Thanks for your interest in our clustering! We're updating our documentation to better explain the load-balancing rules, but you can find a quick-rundown here:

http://forums.interworx.com/showthre...ancer-Policies

@slyjackel - by cPanel DNS, do you mean a free DNS-only license? We don't at present, but it's something we're considering. Incidentally, it is possible to use an external DNS server with InterWorx, so you could keep using your free cPanel DNS license if you like

Quote Originally Posted by IWorx-Brett View Post
    @FRH Lisa - Thanks for your interest in our clustering! We're updating our documentation to better explain the load-balancing rules, but you can find a quick-rundown here:

http://forums.interworx.com/showthre...ancer-Policies

@slyjackel - by cPanel DNS, do you mean a free DNS-only license? We don't at present, but it's something we're considering. Incidentally, it is possible to use an external DNS server with InterWorx, so you could keep using your free cPanel DNS license if you like
    I would be interested in seeing a InterWorx DNS-only product so that one can stand up a copy of the DNS-only instance outside of the datacenter for true redundancy and HA.

I intend to evaluate InterWorx, myself. The fact that Blesta works with InterWorx out of the box with a module is pretty awesome and means less work for me to link the two together.

I did notice one of the features with regards to clustering — the ability to stand up a stand-alone InterWorx instance and later expand it into a clustered set-up. This I find really interesting.

Can you explain a bit more on that? Additionally, it'd be nice if you could include documentation on that, as well as provide an example use-case for that.

(And if it's already in the documentation, please kindly point me to it, as I didn't see anything about that... or maybe my search-fu is made of fail.)
    ★ Ramon Reyes @ EidolonHost
    ★ Blesta and InterWorx Reseller. See WebHost Licenses for details.
    ★ We have Let's Encrypt Support

Incidentally, it is possible to use an external DNS server with InterWorx, so you could keep using your free cPanel DNS license if you like
    What's appealing about the cPanel solution is that it's as "out of the box" as they come. DNS replication just works. Is it that easy with Interworx -- just give it a list of slaves to update?

@Keiro - Yes, it's certainly possible to start a cluster from an existing single server. Our clustering is done in a simple Master/Node setup, so in the case where you're building out a cluster from a single server, you'd set that up as the cluster manager and then add nodes as needed. Nodes are basically interchangeable in our setup, making it possible to drop them in and out without disrupting the cluster as a whole.

The most common use-case is if someone is on a dedicated server but needs more resources that it can provide -- turning it into a cluster and adding nodes gives them more horsepower without having to redeploy/rework everything. That being said, there have been some instances where things prevented servers from becoming a Cluster Manager, usually due to non-standard setups. However, that's what our support team is there to help with

Here's the documentation for how to setup the Manager and Nodes: http://docs.interworx.com/interworx/...oc-Section-4.2

@FRH Lisa - Setting up DNS replication between InterWorx servers is pretty straightforward -- it's just a matter of adding listening servers. The procedure is spelled out here: http://www.interworx.com/support/faq...n-in-nodeworx/

There's also a CLI method for syncing with non-InterWorx boxes -- details here: http://www.interworx.com/support/faq...rx-dns-server/

The most common use-case is if someone is on a dedicated server but needs more resources that it can provide -- turning it into a cluster and adding nodes gives them more horsepower without having to redeploy/rework everything. That being said, there have been some instances where things prevented servers from becoming a Cluster Manager, usually due to non-standard setups. However, that's what our support team is there to help with

Here's the documentation for how to setup the Manager and Nodes: http://docs.interworx.com/interworx/...oc-Section-4.2
    That's pretty win, right there. However, this raises a question:

"Verify that you have sufficient space on the /home partition as listed on the Cluster Manager setup page. This will be the single storage device for all nodes in your cluster."

This implies that the Master server will be serving out space to the server(s). If so, I suspect that means I'll need to set up a SAN or something of the sort. Or am I misunderstanding this?

DNS setup — that is pretty straight-forward. Actually, far more straight-forward than cPanel's own set-up, I believe.

There's also a CLI method for syncing with non-InterWorx boxes -- details here: http://www.interworx.com/support/faq...rx-dns-server/
    Awesome, this is perfect. However, you don't say what DNS server is compatible with the most.

For example, bind* (whatever current version. AFAIK, 9), PowerDNS, etc and so on have slightly different ways of how AXFRs work. Does InterWorx's DNS setup account for this?

@Keiro - That's correct -- the nodes basically just mount to the CM. A lot of our cluster clients end up mounting to an external NFS -- more details on that here: http://docs.interworx.com/interworx/...oc-Section-3.4

About DNS, the method in the previously posted article will only work with bind. It's been a while since working with other services -- I'll have to look into that more and get back to you

@Keiro - That's correct -- the nodes basically just mount to the CM. A lot of our cluster clients end up mounting to an external NFS -- more details on that here: http://docs.interworx.com/interworx/...oc-Section-3.4

About DNS, the method in the previously posted article will only work with bind. It's been a while since working with other services -- I'll have to look into that more and get back to you
    Very nice, clean and clear-cut easy documentation. Kudos on that one.

I see that this pretty much answers my questions with regards to the clustering setup.

cPanel does not work in this way, I think. That is their failing, in my opinion.

A second question with regards to clustering, now that I've read how the clustering systems are set up.

... Wait a minute, I see it's been answered in the What is Clustering? section.

I was going to ask if it was possible to set up 2x Masters and other servers as slaves. Your documentation notes that it's not quite possible to do that just yet by saying that there isn't a method for high-availability. It does, however note that it's being worked on, so there's that.

re: DNS — Awesome. Glad to hear you're looking into whether or not DNS software other than bind would work with regards to AXFRs.

I don't think I've got any questions, right now. Your documentation seems pretty thorough, and I'm taking my time in reading through it.

Man, I have a tough choice — focus on InterWorx or focus on VestaCP. I'm kinda leaning towards both, to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Keiro View Post
    Man, I have a tough choice — focus on InterWorx or focus on VestaCP. I'm kinda leaning towards both, to be honest.
    What are you planning on doing? Do you need a control panel for a hobby site or do you plan on selling services?
    Patrick William | RACK911 Labs | Software Security Auditing
    400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com

www.HostingSecList.com - Security notices for the hosting community.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    What are you planning on doing? Do you need a control panel for a hobby site or do you plan on selling services?
    Planning on selling services. cPanel and InterWorx, SolusVM. And VestaCP, probably.

I've been considering setting up a second brand based off of VestaCP. Mostly, at this point though, I'm still working out how we'll be handling things with the new billing system, which is Blesta.

VestaCP as a hobby site setup thing works great. I haven't tried InterWorx as an enduser, though.

VespaCP looks intriguing.

Are there any plans for built-in nginx support in Interworx?

Quote Originally Posted by FRH Lisa View Post
    VespaCP looks intriguing.

Are there any plans for built-in nginx support in Interworx?
    nginx can be setup in front of apache, but we can’t provide support for that configuration. Source: http://www.interworx.com/support/faq/tag/nginx/

So there IS some method of getting nginx to work with InterWorx.

I wonder if I could get a working nginx/apache2 config... I'll have to test this on my testing environment. Only problem though, is I don't have a copy of InterWorx to mess with.

I'll deal with that as the time comes, I guess.