OVH - SSD problem

Hey,

I have a server at OVH with 2x300GB SSD. One of those 2 are failing (I think?). In logs I can see this error:

[509951.960496] ata1.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x1 SErr 0x0 action 0x6 frozen
    [509951.968597] ata1.00: failed command: READ FPDMA QUEUED
    [509951.976471] ata1.00: cmd 60/08:00:c0:ae:29/00:00:01:00:00/40 tag 0 ncq 4096 in
    [509951.976471] res 40/00:00:00:4f:c2/00:00:00:00:00/00 Emask 0x4 (timeout)
    [509952.008721] ata1.00: status: { DRDY }
    [509952.016791] ata1: hard resetting link
    [509952.336592] ata1: SATA link up 3.0 Gbps (SStatus 123 SControl 300)
    [509952.337353] ata1.00: configured for UDMA/133
    [509952.337359] ata1.00: device reported invalid CHS sector 0
    [509952.337368] ata1: EH complete

When this happens the raid goes oos, the whole system slows down, etc.

Now the problem is I couldn't make OVH to at least look at the cable or something, they insist there is no problem with the ssd if their hw check panel not showing it.

Any idea how to get them look at the cable and/or replace the ssd with a good one?

Did you provide them the error? I am sure they will change the cable as it seems that is the issue there.
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

Of course I did. :/ The only message I get back every time is to reboot the system in rescue mode, check the ssd's there if theres a problem and then send a screenshot... But there is no error there so they don't really give a f*ck :/

OVH is out of money now and will soon close their business. Why you don't care about this rather than asking something like SSD?

It's deffinately a problem with the disk connectivy. Could be SATA or power cable, from experience it's a SATA cable issue.
    www.InstantDedicated.com - Online in no time
    Dedicated Servers in [EU] Netherlands with DAILY support, also on weekends
    DDOS Protected network - 100% Money Back if it doesn't work for you
    Streaming / IPTV allowed | Up to 10 Gbit ports | 100% Network Uptime

Quote Originally Posted by zatoach View Post
    OVH is out of money now and will soon close their business. Why you don't care about this rather than asking something like SSD?
    As far as I'm aware they slowed down sales while looking for a way to deal with the high turnover and customers canceling the old servers and going for their newer offerings.

Where have you read or verified that they are out of money and will soon close down? They are still deploying new servers just not really openly selling them at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by techjr View Post
    As far as I'm aware they slowed down sales while looking for a way to deal with the high turnover and customers canceling the old servers and going for their newer offerings.

Where have you read or verified that they are out of money and will soon close down? They are still deploying new servers just not really openly selling them at the moment.
    If they really only have turnover issue, they should have solved it within some days only, not some months or even years. I've never seen a company act like this before. Because they just can't stop the current servers so they must continue dealing with current customers and wait until all servers are expired. Then they can close their business completely.It means they have no more money to deal with new customers. But I guest in this mean time, they're trying to borrow money from somewhere to rescue their business. And if they can't borrow that money then the game is over.

Have you tried opening an incident ticket? You can find this option in OVH manager.
    Woktron Web Hosting
    Web Hosting Reseller Hosting
    Virtual Private Servers Dedicated Servers

Are you able to check the SSD model name and firmware number? I know there was/is a bug not too long ago that would cause this issue with certain SSD's.

If they really only have turnover issue, they should have solved it within some days only, not some months or even years. I've never seen a company act like this before. Because they just can't stop the current servers so they must continue dealing with current customers and wait until all servers are expired. Then they can close their business completely.It means they have no more money to deal with new customers. But I guest in this mean time, they're trying to borrow money from somewhere to rescue their business. And if they can't borrow that money then the game is over.
    So what you are saying it is an assumption and you don't actually know at all.

Quote Originally Posted by woktron View Post
    Have you tried opening an incident ticket? You can find this option in OVH manager.
    Sometimes OVH needs a little push to deal with hardware replacements. Sometimes an extra ticket helps.

Model=INTEL SSDSA2CW300G3, FwRev=4PC10302, SerialNo=CVPR125500T8300EGN

For now I'm trying with GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="libata.force=noncq" config, we'll see how it goes.

It would be a lot easier if you had the ability to see the server, since you cannot. I would suggest to contact OVH, they will most likely check on your server and replace the parts if needed.

Suppport tickets won't get you far. What you can do is call them and request a hardware check from their technicians. Also, you can boot in the rescue mode and then run the web interface and run the hardware check maybe an error will show up.

Do you have OVH's RTM running on your server? If not, start it, and it will let them see the errors when they happen. They should try to debug and replace the hardware then.

I believe they have stopped accepting new dedicated servers order only. You can still purchase the VPS, Cloud or shared hosting service.
    || Web Hosting Blog - Web Hosting security & latest web hosting industry Announcements
    || Web Hosting Discussion - A Web Hosting community

Sometimes OVH needs a little push to deal with hardware replacements. Sometimes an extra ticket helps.
    Perhaps surprisingly, but they actually have a pretty good track record in my book.

All (3) drive replacements we've needed in the past were completed in less than 15 minutes time. No questions asked. We provided them with a SMART report or logs and that was that.

From my experience, it is indeed a rather useless exercise to deal with technical support or if you're trying to get support over the phone.

However, if you use incident tickets you'll be talking to the guys at the data center where your server is located. As there is a fee involved of 20 Euro, I believe (which will be waived in case they do find a hardware fault), they will physically go and have a look, as opposed to do a check on some status panel.
    Woktron Web Hosting
    Web Hosting Reseller Hosting
    Virtual Private Servers Dedicated Servers

Ever thought about changing to a different hoster? Seriously, if my hosting company would ignore my support requests then I would be gone at the end of the month.

But just like zatoach said they are out of money and probably they will be gone in a short period of time.

Thanks for the help guys.
    @techmaniax: There was even a network outage last night (some switch updating, which ofc didn't go well only in 2 networks, and I'm in one of them... Lately their network is kinda **** to be honest. I'm hosting with several other companies, it's just a proxy server there. At the time I bought the server BW wasn't really 'cheap' at other EU hosts.

I'm starting to think about moving this one to Hetzner though since they've upgraded their default BW limit and speed.

will soon close their business.
    And your source is?

Quote Originally Posted by gingir View Post
    And your source is?
    There is no source for this. Its my analytics

There is no source for this. Its my analytics
    which you can keep to yourself because they will present their new offers next week.