Thread: WHR Forum

WHR Forum

Hello,

As a host trying to improve this board, I have a small request for the Web Hosting Request Forum.

I believe that users posting in the Forum should be bound by a set of rules, just like the hosts are.

1) Subject/Title of post should reflect the request. Like, in a Forum I run, we have a points system which we use to reward good posters/good reviews. For reviews and such, in order to get the points, you need to have a Subject title sortof like:
    [Review] Product Company - Product Description
    so a Maxtor 80 GB 7200 RPM HDD review would be like:
    [Review] Maxtor - 80GB 7200 RPM HD

I think users should do something similar, sortof like:

[Shared|Dedicated|Managed|etc] Simple Description - Price

Simple Description should include CP(If any is required), Space and Transfer

2) No Unlimited Space/Transfer kill them please!!!

Also, a ammendment to the host rules would also be nice:

For the features, I think the "Must match 100%" is stupid because YAP offers his special Control Panel, and that basically automatically kills him right off in the forum, even though the Control Panel offers everything except the Auto-Installer. And also, if someone asks for phpBB2, what if you supply vB with your package instead? This is just sort of a useless rule.

Also, the vB code and HTML code thing is really making me mad, because when you use the Quick Reply it automatically converts URLS and Emails into vB code. Is there not a hack that lets you strip out the code in specific Forums?

Anyways, this is my list of what I think

TTYL,

Dan
    Dan Sheppard ~ Freelance whatever

I'd agree with the first request - it's just plain annoying seeing a page of "Hosting needed" and "Dedi wanted", without any hint of, say, windows or unix or a rough price (<$10, >$20 etc.etc).

Good idea Sheps

It works really well for our board, where the mods need to look at the reviews before they can sit down and chat...

It would also make our lives alot easier... And possibly remove some junk posts(I am even sometimes guilty of these)

Hi Dan,

Do what I do. Report the user. I could care a less who it is. If they violate the rules, they violate the rules...
    What does one host say to the other? "(HostA) Want to go see a movie?" "(HostB) Sure, can your parents drive?"

I'm premium, and no, I did not have to pay $6 a month to figure that out.

I say ditch the request forum. End of problems. (In that forum.)

Originally posted by FTPguy
    I say ditch the request forum. End of problems. (In that forum.)
    Well, that would be a good idea, but for the fact, this is a Web Hosting forum... that is like cutting off your foot, because your hand hurts.

Leave the foot, fix the hand!

Well,

The problem is, in the Web Hosting Requests forum, there are no rules for people looking for hosting, which is kind of what I was suggesting...

Plus, it would make it easier for hosts to find offers if they implemented something like I suggested.

Dan, I agree that some sort of rules (guidelines) should be set, for people posting a request for webhosting.

I was speaking directly to FTP Guy's comment about closing the hosting request forum all together.... which is what I quoted his comment.

I would suggest, PMing a mod to get their direct views on your suggestion, getting a dialogue going with them about it... as well as keeping this thread alive every now and then.

Eventually perhaps, it will get noticed by the ones who make the decisions around here.

Closing forums all together, disabling the post counting towards a members post count in the Ad forums, and things of this sort... does nothing for solving the problems this board has. It's a cheap bandaid that is just causing descension in the rank and file members here.

If the problems are going to be resolved (and it won't happen over night) some definitative proactive measures are going to have to be set in place, current rules are going to need modified, and the dedicated mods we have now... are going to need a little more help. It's just to much for a few folks to handle. Day by day, it gets increasingly harder to control as well.

I know that akash and SWR are doing their best to get a grip on the situation... and the others do also, when their schedule permits.

Time will tell, I suppose.

Guess I best *hush my mouth* for now... have better things to do than make suggestions and comments that aren't valued...

I am going to mail the mods, and admins.

We will see what happens...