Thread: Which CPU

Which CPU

I'm gona to buy a Dedicated server for VPS Hosting. I'm confused with these CPUs.

Dual Quad-Core 5520 2.26GHz Intel Nehalem Xeon w/ HT & Turbo Boost

Intel Core i7-920Quadcore

Please advice me to select a good processor. which one is good for me.

Both are very old processors, but go with the Dual Xeon, it will allow you to use ECC RAM.
    ReliableSite.Net LLC - Offering Enterprise Grade Dedicated Servers Since 2006 [New York City metro / Miami, FL]
    Customers are our #1 priority - Read Our Reviews
    Looking to switch providers? We have amazing deals and a 10 minute setup time! Click here to view incredible deals.

If you're looking at providing VPS service and you're not super worried about CPU performance, I would suggest looking at the maximum RAM supported by the mother board. With Xen/KVM, you can't share RAM and even with OpenVZ, you're limited in the amount of active processes you can have. By having a lot of RAM, you can provide reasonably sized instances from a RAM perspective. Loads are not likely to be CPU-bound.

Dual Quad-Core 5520 will provide you 8 cores , so its better
    Openvz SolusVm VPS DDOS Protected Canada & Romania
    Dedicated Servers And Satellite Dish Colocation with 1Gbps For IPTV
    Canada Anti DDOS Webhosting, Reseller Hosting, WHMsonic, WHMsonic Resellers

Quad-Core 5520 is best for you, but don't worry with the CPU, your problem is the disk, you need Fast disk

Both are old. Shoot for some of the new Intel generation. They are not expensive.
    If you cannot Intel Xeon 5520 is the better choice. - Web Hosting with DDoS Protection | Shared & Reseller in Europe/North America
    Linux/Windows RDP VPS 13 Locations : UK, US (5 states), Mexico, Canada, Bulgaria, Lithuania,
    Italy, France, Germany,Netherlands, Switzerland, Rissia, Singapore | OpenVPN/PPTP Enabled
    INSTANT | PayPal, Skrill, Payza, Bitcoin, WebMoney, Perfect Money, Ukash, CashU, paysafecard

LankapartnerHost is right - more than CPU or RAM, disk performance is what really can drag you down.

Old doesn't always mean bad... But I also wouldn't focus on just the CPU like others have suggested.
    Maybe this will help too:
    Hosting And Designs L.L.C. Since 2002 -->
    Tech Blog:
    Sales: Lars A Jensen. Direct: 503-999-7518 9am-5+pm

Another link that may help you in CPU comparisons:
    Amanah Tech Inc. | Always On.
    100TB Dedicated Servers & 100TB Colocation.