Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

* What kind of website can I host with these limitations?

These are the limits:

CPU limit:20%
    RAM limit:128 MB
    FTP logins limit 7000 connections in a year
    Email sending limit: 20 per minute
    Users can create 1 addon domain per 1 hour
    IP Connections Limit - 1200 per 5 min per IP
    Number of files(inode)limit is 20000 per domain/account
    Max. execution time - 30 seconds
    Post upload limit: 8 MB
    Email sending limit: 20 per minute
    max_updates limit is 25000 queries per hour
    Maximum 1 master domain

Are these limits the same as given by famous hosts?

Is it possible to host a site getting moderate traffic from a cms with plugins in these limits?

What kind of website can be hosted with these limits?

What kind of website can I host with these limitations?

First of all, what are you planning to host?
    ★★★★★
    HostSlim Europe - Premium Managed Hosting Solutions
    Dedicated & Premium Hosting - Premium Network - 800Gbps DDoS Protection Available - OWN AS/NETWORK/EQUIPMENT
    Resell Whitelabel Dedicated Servers - Twitter: @HostSlim - www.HostSlim.eu - Facebook: @HostSlimBV

Quote Originally Posted by host-slim View Post
    First of all, what are you planning to host?
    I am not planning anything yet.Just trying to find out if I provide hosting with these limitations what kind of websites will users be able host?

I stopped reading at CPU limit: 20%

With that kind of information I doubt that anyone here would be able to answer your question, as 20% is not something we could pick some information out of. What is the total CPU power? Let us know that before we read any further.

Quote Originally Posted by JDR Hosting View Post
    I stopped reading at CPU limit: 20%

With that kind of information I doubt that anyone here would be able to answer your question, as 20% is not something we could pick some information out of. What is the total CPU power? Let us know that before we read any further.
    The server has 2 x Intel quad Core processors,12GB ram and 1000Mbps Internet connection.

With these specs run any simply websites (like online store, online photo album, simply blog)can run. Issue is your RAM. Normaly 128MB Ram not enough to run some CPanel cron jobs. If you running CPanel with softaculous, i dont think this 128MB ram will enough.

Quote Originally Posted by hosting901 View Post
    With these specs run any simply websites (like online store, online photo album, simply blog)can run. Issue is your RAM. Normaly 128MB Ram not enough to run some CPanel cron jobs. If you running CPanel with softaculous, i dont think this 128MB ram will enough.
    The control panel is not cpanel its custom made and looks more simple than cpanel and the script installer is fantastico.Are these okay for 128MB?

Any more thoughts anyone?

128MB sounds a little low to me if you're using a control panel. If you're running a website that's written in PHP with a relatively minimal overhead, you could probably run something interactive. You could run a database but it would have to be minimal. If you run php-fpm and nginx, you can handle a few simultanious users in about 10-20MB. According to mysqlcalculator.com, I was able to get 5 concurrent connections in 25MB with a very minimal configuration. That'd give you around 90MB for your PHP scripts as the execute.

Based on that, I'd think you could have up to maybe five simultanious users of a site that's running php/mysql. It'd take some work tuning the configuration and your site couldn't be too complex. Think of a small photo gallary or shopping cart. You could run a very small twitter-like service.

What I'm wondering is this. If they are limiting FTP and things like that, you're probably looking at something where you don't get the sort of access you'd need to adjust the parameters for MySQL or install nginx. It's hard to say how they count your RAM usage in that case which makes saying what you can run very difficult.

If you're intersted in setting your own thing up, you could look at VPS hosting. There are plenty of companies that will give you more than 128MB for $5/month. If you don't feel comfortable setting that up then you should probably look elsewhere for your shared hosting. Offers at places like Sitelutions, Host Gator and 1and1 are all more full featuered then the one you mentioned here and have reasonable prices. In other words, it is more restrictive than the famous hosts.

Quote Originally Posted by AJosh View Post
    128MB sounds a little low to me if you're using a control panel. If you're running a website that's written in PHP with a relatively minimal overhead, you could probably run something interactive. You could run a database but it would have to be minimal. If you run php-fpm and nginx, you can handle a few simultanious users in about 10-20MB. According to mysqlcalculator.com, I was able to get 5 concurrent connections in 25MB with a very minimal configuration. That'd give you around 90MB for your PHP scripts as the execute.

Based on that, I'd think you could have up to maybe five simultanious users of a site that's running php/mysql. It'd take some work tuning the configuration and your site couldn't be too complex. Think of a small photo gallary or shopping cart. You could run a very small twitter-like service.

What I'm wondering is this. If they are limiting FTP and things like that, you're probably looking at something where you don't get the sort of access you'd need to adjust the parameters for MySQL or install nginx. It's hard to say how they count your RAM usage in that case which makes saying what you can run very difficult.

If you're intersted in setting your own thing up, you could look at VPS hosting. There are plenty of companies that will give you more than 128MB for $5/month. If you don't feel comfortable setting that up then you should probably look elsewhere for your shared hosting. Offers at places like Sitelutions, Host Gator and 1and1 are all more full featuered then the one you mentioned here and have reasonable prices. In other words, it is more restrictive than the famous hosts.
    Actually the matter is,I am going to get a reseller package with these limitations for free.I was thinking if it was possible to provide shared hosting package with this.

Can we host websites under cms like the following 2 with these limitations?

www.roadtoblogging.com
    www.ajantrik.com

People are getting confused over your 128MB limit because you haven't explained what it applies to. Is it the PHP memory limit? Or a memory limit for the whole account?

One thought that occurred to me: Why are you limiting FTP connections per year? What happens if someone has used up their quota in 9 months? Account suspension? No more FTP?
    James

Interested in which hosts I'd recommend? Unmanaged VPS Reviews | Managed VPS Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by JamesOakley View Post
    People are getting confused over your 128MB limit because you haven't explained what it applies to. Is it the PHP memory limit? Or a memory limit for the whole account?

One thought that occurred to me: Why are you limiting FTP connections per year? What happens if someone has used up their quota in 9 months? Account suspension? No more FTP?
    Its memory limit for each clients account.

I also don't understand why they are limiting the ftp.But its like is says,if limit is crossed before 1 year he won't be able to use ftp for that year.

Memory for the whole client account: 128 MB is way too low. If you had the PHP memory limit at 128 MB (which I'd recommend), you'd only be able to run one pageload at a time within that (if that pageload needed all of the memory allowed to PHP).

As for the FTP limit - I'd never sign up for a plan that had a limit like that. What if I wanted to upload a security-level fix to a script I'm using, and then can't use FTP. If it was me, I'd find another way to do it. But if I was a user who only wanted to learn how to use FTP and do everything that way, I'd be left with a site I can't patch.
    James

Interested in which hosts I'd recommend? Unmanaged VPS Reviews | Managed VPS Reviews

I agree with James, 128MB is way too low for a whole client account.
    The websites would end up crashing and it would only reflect badly on you as a provider.

This is too low for a reseller account. You could make 128MB work but it won't be full featured and it won't work well. I've done that kind of thing before but mostly when I'm tyring to see how much I can do with a low-end system for fun. I wouldn't use that kind of package for any serious system.

Memory for the whole client account: 128 MB is way too low. If you had the PHP memory limit at 128 MB (which I'd recommend), you'd only be able to run one pageload at a time within that (if that pageload needed all of the memory allowed to PHP).

As for the FTP limit - I'd never sign up for a plan that had a limit like that. What if I wanted to upload a security-level fix to a script I'm using, and then can't use FTP. If it was me, I'd find another way to do it. But if I was a user who only wanted to learn how to use FTP and do everything that way, I'd be left with a site I can't patch.
    What should I do with this than,offer free hosting?What would you do?

There are lots of options other than a plan with the limits you outline and free hosting!

How did you arrive at these figures in the first place? Go through each limit you've just listed, and work out why you think that metric needs limiting in the first place. That will help you reach the necessary figure.

A lot of these are unnecessary if you put careful limits on the amount of disk space and bandwidth clients can use.

Perhaps explain what you're trying to do? Let's go back a step. What kind of host are you looking to set up? Using what hardware? For what kinds of clients? In what price bracket?

Asking what I would do is immaterial. I could tell you what I do do, but I'm not you and we won't be doing the same thing. Tell us more about the whole project.
    James

I highly doubt any good hosting provider would limit your FTP logins. I mean maximum concurrent connections, sure. But logins per YEAR? That's simply unacceptable. Despite it being a high number, there should be no limit in the first place.
    TaleHost | Quality Web Hosting | US / Asia
    LiteSpeed | Pure SSD | Softacolous | Automated Backups

JamesOakley has a great point. Get hosting to match what you want to do; don't match what you want to do to your hosting.

If I had that same option right now and I wanted to blog, I'd probably put up a simple blog. Otherwise, I'd probably let it go. Not taking free stuff can be hard but if you have no use, you have no use.

I've never seen a shared host offer anything less than 1 GB (hell, we seem to hover at about 250 mb). So 128 is no something I think most people can run on unless you have only pure html pages only with little traffic.

▲ ▲

WoltLab Dev

128MB of RAM is more than enough. If you need more than that you're overgrown shared hosting capabilities and need to consider a virtual server. I don't know what people consider as shared hosting and why they expect to run heavy websites for nearly free of charge...

EDIT: Also, a big problem here on WHT and life in general is when people who don't know what they're talking about give advice to other people. People don't even distinguish between virtual and physical memory and yet they find themselves competent to advise others on the subject.
    Last edited by bsdunix; 10-23-2013 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bsdpowa View Post
    128MB of RAM is more than enough. If you need more than that you're overgrown shared hosting capabilities and need to consider a virtual server. I don't know what people consider as shared hosting and why they expect to run heavy websites for nearly free of charge...
    for a single pageload maybe. But not for the maximum memory allocation for the whole account
    James

Do you even realize how enormous 128MB of RAM for a single page load is?

for a single pageload maybe. But not for the maximum memory allocation for the whole account
    Loading up a stock Wordpress admin interface uses around 64MB I believe?

Imagine multiple users running various bits of CMS software on this?

I wouldn't put my neck on the line reselling that personally, far too constricting.
    Clook: Fully Managed UK Based Hosting CloudFlare Optimised Partner!
    Established 12 Years - 24/7/365 Support (<10m Avg. Response Time)
    Shared, Reseller, vServer, Dedicated and Beyond
    0845 867 2550 Sales - Visit our Website

Do you even realize how enormous 128MB of RAM for a single page load is?
    Of course I do.

As Karl has just pointed out, a typical Wordpress admin pageload needs about 64MB.

I use Drupal a lot, and most Drupal sites average around 48-72 MB per pageload.

Either way, an account limit of 128MB would mean only one simultaneous pageload.

The OP was asking whether it would be a good idea for them to resell hosting with that limit. The answer is that I certainly wouldn't buy it, as I'd hit that limit instantly.
    James

OP says nothing about reselling. The question is what kind of website can you run on such specifications.

OP says nothing about reselling. The question is what kind of website can you run on such specifications.
    You totally got it right.

Of course I do.

As Karl has just pointed out, a typical Wordpress admin pageload needs about 64MB.

I use Drupal a lot, and most Drupal sites average around 48-72 MB per pageload.

Either way, an account limit of 128MB would mean only one simultaneous pageload.

The OP was asking whether it would be a good idea for them to resell hosting with that limit. The answer is that I certainly wouldn't buy it, as I'd hit that limit instantly.

By the way,I am not using a vps.The limits I am talking about will be for every shared hosting account individually.

My mistake, sameev29

In post 10 you said you were getting a reseller plan (which is usually for people wanting to resell shared hosting to others), and you were wondering if you could provide hosting like that (which I took to mean you were the provider).

If you're talking about those specs as an end-user, then try it and see. I still think the FTP limit is bizarre, but if you're unlikely to hit it. You do need to press the potential provider on the memory limit, though. 128MB is the kind of limit you'd normally see set for PHP, not for the entire plan. If it's for the entire plan, I do believe you'll have difficulties with a CMS of any sophistication. If it's the PHP memory_limit, then that's a respectable value. It's such a low figure I find it hard to believe it is the first of those.
    James

The question is whether this is a restriction on the whole account or just on max memory for a page load. If it's 128MB total, indluding mysql, apache, php, etc, it's not that much memory without some tuning. If it's PHP's max memory setting, it's probably fine. The thing is, this sounds like it's limits things in ways that normal shared hosting does not. That's why I assume that the 128MB limit isn't just the PHP limit.

The OP did talk about reselling it which really isn't a good idea. You can do a lot with 128MB with the right approach. We've even talked about some of the possibilities.

WRT virtual memory vs physical memory, the OP didn't indicate that the host made the distinction. One would assume that the user can allocate 128MB worth of pages. The server would decide how many are virtual pages and how many are physical pages.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl_CLOOK View Post
    Loading up a stock Wordpress admin interface uses around 64MB I believe?

Imagine multiple users running various bits of CMS software on this?

I wouldn't put my neck on the line reselling that personally, far too constricting.
    The limits are for 1 user and 1 account.Every account will have these limits.

Suppose 1 account will run 1 website,is it okay then?

What kind of website can I host with these limitations?

Normally people choose their host plan according their website requirement not website according host plan
    ServerSub.com - Managed and Unmanaged Virtual & Dedicated Server|XenServer Windows & Linux VPS
    - New York City|Miami|Singapore|Hong Kong|UK|Netherlands|Germany|France|Canada​|Lithuania|Dallas
    - VPS and Dedicated Servers in 11 Global location 100% Pure SSD Reseller & Shared Host
    cPanel NOC| Microsoft SPLA| PayPal, Credit Card, Bitcoin, Skrill, Payza, WebMoney, PerfectMoney Accepted!

Quote Originally Posted by sameev29 View Post
    The limits are for 1 user and 1 account.Every account will have these limits.

Suppose 1 account will run 1 website,is it okay then?
    Well, it really does sound like you're saying that the 128 MB is the total memory available for the whole account.

So, if one pageload was likely to use up those limits all by itself, then it's only okay if there'll never be more than one page loading at once.

So, if one person starts loading a page on the website, anyone else visiting that site would get an error if they hit "go" in their browser before the server has finished serving the first visitor's page.

If that's okay, then those limits are okay.
    James

Quote Originally Posted by AJosh View Post
    The question is whether this is a restriction on the whole account or just on max memory for a page load. If it's 128MB total, indluding mysql, apache, php, etc, it's not that much memory without some tuning. If it's PHP's max memory setting, it's probably fine. The thing is, this sounds like it's limits things in ways that normal shared hosting does not. That's why I assume that the 128MB limit isn't just the PHP limit.

The OP did talk about reselling it which really isn't a good idea. You can do a lot with 128MB with the right approach. We've even talked about some of the possibilities.

WRT virtual memory vs physical memory, the OP didn't indicate that the host made the distinction. One would assume that the user can allocate 128MB worth of pages. The server would decide how many are virtual pages and how many are physical pages.
    By 128MB I meant the servers physical memory.

Well, it really does sound like you're saying that the 128 MB is the total memory available for the whole account.

So, if one pageload was likely to use up those limits all by itself, then it's only okay if there'll never be more than one page loading at once.

So, if one person starts loading a page on the website, anyone else visiting that site would get an error if they hit "go" in their browser before the server has finished serving the first visitor's page.

If that's okay, then those limits are okay.
    You said earlier each page of wordpress built sites take 64MB and Drupal 72MB,is this real?If so how do people hosts hundreds of website with a 4GB ram in a server?

Quote Originally Posted by sameev29 View Post
    You said earlier each page of wordpress built sites take 64MB and Drupal 72MB,is this real?If so how do people hosts hundreds of website with a 4GB ram in a server?
    Hundreds of websites on 4GB of RAM may not be a good idea.

But, yes it's real. That memory is only being used while the page is being served up by the server. Say Apache is processing 50 pages at the same time. Say each page uses 48 MB of RAM. That needs 2.5 GB in total to process. Handling 50 simultaneous requests is fairly busy activity for a server, but even with MySQL and other processes factored in it should fit into 8-16 GB in total.

A web page for a complex CMS takes maybe from half a second to two seconds to generate and return. Then the memory is freed up again.
    James

In a server with 4GB and a few hundred sites, it is very likely that many of the sites get next-to-no traffic on a regular basis. Usually in an environment like that you have a few people's homepages that are mostly dead and a few active or semi-active sites.

Hundreds of websites on 4GB of RAM may not be a good idea.

But, yes it's real. That memory is only being used while the page is being served up by the server. Say Apache is processing 50 pages at the same time. Say each page uses 48 MB of RAM. That needs 2.5 GB in total to process. Handling 50 simultaneous requests is fairly busy activity for a server, but even with MySQL and other processes factored in it should fit into 8-16 GB in total.

A web page for a complex CMS takes maybe from half a second to two seconds to generate and return. Then the memory is freed up again.

Suppose visitor A is accessing a page,this is using 64MB of the ram.At the same time visitor B comes and he is also trying to access the same page.In this case would it require another 64MB of ram to load?

Correct...
    James

Correct...
    How does hosting companies host websites with thousands of visitors?They would need like 50GB ram to host many websites like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast