Thread: Innohosting...

Thumbs down Innohosting...

I've been an IH reseller for almost 2 years now, which IMHO is a LONGGGG time in the hosting world.

I have, admittedly, only a few clients that use my hosting services (I'm a freelancer and provide that for them) but when their sites go down, they can be quite vocal about it. They're used to getting very prompt support from me.

Having said that, I'm usually aware of my customer's sites being down way before they are (and sometimes without them even noticing) because I use a monitoring service that emails me.

I quickly did some troubleshooting on my end and after making sure the problem wasn't just my connection, I created a support ticket, checked the forums, checked the outages section in the forums and when those didn't indicate a known issue, I also hopped on chat. Here is the exchange which took roughly 2 minutes:

16:07 Your Question: Server 54 down? I submitted ticket want more info please..
    16:07 Please wait, an operator will be with you shortly.
    16:07 You are now chatting with Chris W. - General
    16:07 Chris W.: Hi There! Welcome to the InnoHosting Rapid Response Live Chat. How can I help you?
    16:08 Greg D: is server 54 down? None of my sites are available on that server
    16:08 Chris W.: Hello, we were aware of the issue and have already corrected it. In the future, please refrain from making duplicate contact methods of the same issue to prevent confusion or delay in your requests.
    16:09 Greg D: Well interestingly enough, I wouldn't have to contact you at all if there were some type of communication from you regarding outages..you know, like twitter, facebook, your forums, your support page, etc.

I bolded the section that chapped me. I'm sorry but if your lack of statuses on your website (their status page shows me only 2 servers, none of which were my server), your twitter feed (last tweet from Apr), your forums, nothing...causes me to want to know if you're even aware that there's an issue, then perhaps it's time for me to look elsewhere...

I also asked in my ticket for a more technical response as to what the issue was so that I could choose whether or not to share a technical response back to my clients. They ignored that request.
      0 Not allowed!

They should keep that information from you and should defiantly let you know what the issue was with the server. But at least they let you know they are aware of it and are repairing it.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MyDigitalHost View Post
    I've been an IH reseller for almost 2 years now, which IMHO is a LONGGGG time in the hosting world.

I have, admittedly, only a few clients that use my hosting services (I'm a freelancer and provide that for them) but when their sites go down, they can be quite vocal about it. They're used to getting very prompt support from me.

Having said that, I'm usually aware of my customer's sites being down way before they are (and sometimes without them even noticing) because I use a monitoring service that emails me.

I quickly did some troubleshooting on my end and after making sure the problem wasn't just my connection, I created a support ticket, checked the forums, checked the outages section in the forums and when those didn't indicate a known issue, I also hopped on chat. Here is the exchange which took roughly 2 minutes:

16:07 Your Question: Server 54 down? I submitted ticket want more info please..
    16:07 Please wait, an operator will be with you shortly.
    16:07 You are now chatting with Chris W. - General
    16:07 Chris W.: Hi There! Welcome to the InnoHosting Rapid Response Live Chat. How can I help you?
    16:08 Greg D: is server 54 down? None of my sites are available on that server
    16:08 Chris W.: Hello, we were aware of the issue and have already corrected it. In the future, please refrain from making duplicate contact methods of the same issue to prevent confusion or delay in your requests.
    16:09 Greg D: Well interestingly enough, I wouldn't have to contact you at all if there were some type of communication from you regarding outages..you know, like twitter, facebook, your forums, your support page, etc.

I bolded the section that chapped me. I'm sorry but if your lack of statuses on your website (their status page shows me only 2 servers, none of which were my server), your twitter feed (last tweet from Apr), your forums, nothing...causes me to want to know if you're even aware that there's an issue, then perhaps it's time for me to look elsewhere...

I also asked in my ticket for a more technical response as to what the issue was so that I could choose whether or not to share a technical response back to my clients. They ignored that request.
    Hi Greg,

I'm sorry about the issues you have experienced. The downtime for your server lasted a total of 17 minutes but it is still on target to achieve the 99.9% uptime guarantee.

I believe Chris was requesting that only a single contact method be used. When there is an issue, we work on getting that issue resolved as a priority, and understandably during any outage we receive a high volume of support requests. Chris was requesting that instead of opening a ticket and initiating a live chat request, customers choose a single method (either live chat, ticket or phone) as it helps us get to all customer queries quickly.

That aside, I totally take onboard your comments regarding the communication of outages and I will make sure that outages are communicated more promptly to our customers.

If you can please let me know the ticket ID requesting further details, I will chase this up for you and see what happened and also make sure you do receive the technical response.
    InnoHosting, Performance Web Hosting || US: 1-888-522-INNO UK: 0800 612 8075
    Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Managed Servers - Application Hosting
    Reseller Hosting with WHMCS & Preloaded KB | SSL | activGuard | End User Support
    LiteSpeed / CloudLinux / Idera Backups / True 24x7 Support / 10+ Years in Business
      0 Not allowed!

Hi Rameen,

My ticket number is: #IAZ-826-55650

That being said, thank you for hearing me with regard to the outages. I don't have an issue with downtime and I don't have an issue with using only one method of contact. It was the wording of the sentence that bothered me. It felt like a chastisement when I was simply finding out why my sites were down. And I stand by my assertion that I wouldn't have to contact you AT ALL if you had a reliable status page.

You and your technicians have to realize that, while outages are stressful for you, they're also just as stressful for your resellers because I have clients with real needs that depend on me to help them when they need it most. And in a hosting environment, they need me most when their sites are down.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MyDigitalHost View Post
    Hi Rameen,

My ticket number is: #IAZ-826-55650

That being said, thank you for hearing me with regard to the outages. I don't have an issue with downtime and I don't have an issue with using only one method of contact. It was the wording of the sentence that bothered me. It felt like a chastisement when I was simply finding out why my sites were down. And I stand by my assertion that I wouldn't have to contact you AT ALL if you had a reliable status page.
    Hi Greg,

Many thanks for getting back to me regarding the ticket ID. I will chase this up for you to see what happened and to make sure you receive a technical response to that ticket.

Although I'm sure Chris didn't mean anything negative or intended for it to be perceived in a negative way, I will ensure all our technicians are fully aware of proper client etiquette. We're all very polite and friendly people here and working with customers it's a necessity. We want the customer to always feel comfortable contacting us. However, when communicating using text it can sometimes be difficult to convey a certain emotion or tone and I'll be sure that we work on that as well.

You and your technicians have to realize that, while outages are stressful for you, they're also just as stressful for your resellers because I have clients with real needs that depend on me to help them when they need it most. And in a hosting environment, they need me most when their sites are down.
    I 100% agree with you. Any outage, large or small can be a stressful and frustrating moment and it does help to know more regarding the outage so you can also communicate that to your customers.

I will make sure that we improve our communication regarding outages and that should help alleviate the concerns you have raised as well.

If you're unhappy with any aspect of our services then please do not hesitate to get in touch with me personally and I'll make sure things are put right.
    InnoHosting, Performance Web Hosting || US: 1-888-522-INNO UK: 0800 612 8075
    Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Managed Servers - Application Hosting
    Reseller Hosting with WHMCS & Preloaded KB | SSL | activGuard | End User Support
    LiteSpeed / CloudLinux / Idera Backups / True 24x7 Support / 10+ Years in Business
      0 Not allowed!

In the interest of self disclosure, Rameen did follow up with me privately to provide a much more technical explanation of the downtime.

KUDOS!
      0 Not allowed!