Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How did this name get taken so fast??

Hi,

I recently purchased a domain name, after lots of research and work finding a name that wasn't taken.

Let's call my new site name blueandblack.com. I checked blackandblue.com and neither were taken, but I decided to go with blueandblack and registered it.

As I was thinking about it while going to sleep that night, I realized that customers will probably not remember the correct order all the time so I decided first thing in the morning I was going to also purchase blackandblue.

You guessed it. It was already taken. How the HECK did that happen so fast???

Where did you search for this name?

Quote Originally Posted by Techno View Post
    Where did you search for this name?
    I searched and purchased from Moniker. Why? Does it matter where you do your search?

It can matter, yes. There's been a a lot of threads about searches at places like GoDaddy having names of interest snapped up shortly after.
    Was the alternate spelling/order registered between your search and now?
    Your one stop shop for decentralization

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    It can matter, yes. There's been a a lot of threads about searches at places like GoDaddy having names of interest snapped up shortly after.
    Was the alternate spelling/order registered between your search and now?
    The second site I wanted was registered between the time I registered my first site and the next morning when I went online to purchase it. Maybe 12 hours.

Keep in mind that this wasn't a simple site name such as the example I gave. I used an alternate spelling by adding one extra letter to standard words. This wasn't a "traditional" website name. Very aggravating.

When you check the WHOIS what is the registration date on that domain?

I have been hearing about this sort of thing for years now.
    That is obviously not legal but it happens all the time...nice little side business for either the registar or one of the admins.

What I have been doing for some time now is perform a whois directly from the Linux command line.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by mrtonyg View Post
    I have been hearing about this sort of thing for years now.
    That is obviously not legal but it happens all the time...nice little side business for either the registar or one of the admins.

What I have been doing for some time now is perform a whois directly from the Linux command line.

Tony
    Unfortunately, I don't have Linux.

Can anyone suggest a safe way to search to see if the second site becomes available?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobberta View Post
    How the HECK did that happen so fast???
    Maybe "information overlap" happens a lot more than we think.

It's sensible and tempting to think that someone might've looked up our online searches. Various registrars (including Go Daddy who gets this complaint a lot) say they don't register domain names based on people's searches, albeit they can't stop some folks from believing otherwise.

So far, Go Daddy's the only one I know who posted something about this subject:

http://inside.godaddy.com/front-running-debunking-myth/

Moving forward, it helps to register the domain name on the spot. No registrar, after all, guarantees that an available domain name will stay that way by the time one gets around to it.

Can anyone suggest a safe way to search to see if the second site becomes available?
    If you're on Windows, Microsoft has a command-line whois utility here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb897435.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zan View Post
    Moving forward, it helps to register the domain name on the spot. No registrar, after all, guarantees that an available domain name will stay that way by the time one gets around to it.
    Definitely. Some years ago I thought of and registered a great name for this client's business, and got an angry email afterwards from some guy wanting to know how I was spying on his domain searches. Apparently he was thinking of registering, waited too long and I thought of then grabbed it before he got back to register.

See one you like, buy immediately.
    Your one stop shop for decentralization

When you check the WHOIS what is the registration date on that domain? It's possible your initial search gave incorrect 'available' info.

I heard about it before, when you have a "good" name and the register identify its a "good" domain name, their system just take the domain and dont let you register the domain.

Very unfair.
    HyperFilter DDoS Protection Solutions - https://www.hyperfilter.com
    Specializing in DDoS Protected Hosting Services (The Netherlands / Amsterdam) | Libera Chat IRC Sponsors
    Dedicated Servers • Cloud Servers • Colocation • Remote Protection Services • Web Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by Techno View Post
    When you check the WHOIS what is the registration date on that domain? It's possible your initial search gave incorrect 'available' info.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check on that. You could be right.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_P View Post
    If you're on Windows, Microsoft has a command-line whois utility here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb897435.aspx
    Thanks, Steve. I'll use that from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by MrTony View Post
    I heard about it before, when you have a "good" name and the register identify its a "good" domain name, their system just take the domain and dont let you register the domain.

Very unfair.
    That depends how one defines "good" maybe. If you find a verifiable case, though, it helps to document that for others to check, confirm, etc.

On the side, one site I consistently use to search (and have yet to "lose" a domain name after searching) is iwhois.com. Its new owner also says they don't "steal" their users' searches there.

On the side, one site I consistently use to search (and have yet to "lose" a domain name after searching) is iwhois.com. Its new owner also says they don't "steal" their users' searches there.

Are you serious...this sounds like some serious marketing you are doing.

So the new owner states they don't steal names...right!

Are you serious...this sounds like some serious marketing you are doing.

So the new owner states they don't steal names...right!
    One can suggest something without earning anything from that, can’t they? I realize, though, that one's skepticism (if not cynicism) may keep him or her from considering that possibility.

Tell you what, though: you can try Steve P's more technical suggestion, or a (more or less) user-friendly site like the one I suggested. No cost, no obligations.

Whatever works for you. Good luck.

Tell you what, though: you can try Steve P's more technical suggestion, or a (more or less) user-friendly site like the one I suggested. No cost, no obligations.
    Dave, I would have to think that you have not actually read this thread since I was the one who initially advised on using the whois utility from the command line/shell.

I'm not able to use it for some reason! I downloaded it but when I open it, it closes right away. Obviously I have something that's blocking it from opening. I've checked my firewall for Whois and I have it allowed.
    If it's not one thing it's another.

I'm not able to use it for some reason! I downloaded it but when I open it, it closes right away. Obviously I have something that's blocking it from opening. I've checked my firewall for Whois and I have it allowed.
    If it's not one thing it's another.
    You'll need to open a command prompt and run it from the command line - the utility doesn't have a graphical user interface and will close immediately if you're double-clicking on it. You'll probably be better off copying the "whois.exe" file to your "C:\Windows\System32" folder just so it's available to you anytime you bring up a command prompt. Once you've opened a command prompt, just type "whois <domain name>" to get the info you're looking for.

It really annoys me that Microsoft makes their users have to go looking for tools that should be included with the operating system.

You'll need to open a command prompt and run it from the command line - the utility doesn't have a graphical user interface and will close immediately if you're double-clicking on it. You'll probably be better off copying the "whois.exe" file to your "C:\Windows\System32" folder just so it's available to you anytime you bring up a command prompt. Once you've opened a command prompt, just type "whois <domain name>" to get the info you're looking for.

It really annoys me that Microsoft makes their users have to go looking for tools that should be included with the operating system.
    That did it! I was checking all my security software programs to find out which one was blocking this. Thanks!

Dave, I would have to think that you have not actually read this thread since I was the one who initially advised on using the whois utility from the command line/shell.
    Whoops, indeed you have.

Not everyone feels savvy enough to use that, though, which is why I offered that iwhois.com thing as another option. Like I said, whatever works.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-au/s...rnals/bb897435

You can use the command line in windows after installing this app. just drop it in C:\Windows\System32 then "whois example.com" to use.
    I could tell you a joke about UDP. But I'm not sure you would get it!

seriously...if it is infact true that some shaddy thing took place here...i mean how will the person profit? Resell for higher price? Well how many people buy premium domains nowadays?...with all the different TLDs now...i dont see people making any reasonable amount from being jerks snapping domain names to resell later
    Superb Houston/Los Angeles Colocation: LAYERHOST.COM https://www.layerhost.com/colocation
    *not affiliated, just recommendation*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast