Dhaka, Bangladesh.

How to protect servers from ddos

pls reply i am seeing many thread here about ddos attacks on their server. but is there any way to prevent any server from being attacked? is there any protection? and how use that?

There are different types of solutions. One solution is to host in a datacenter which offers DDoS protection. The other solution would be to remotely protect your current server using an anti DDoS proxy or tunnel. There are plenty providers around here who offer the options I mentioned.

If it's only a small attack, you could try something like CSF, DDoS Deflate or BARF, depending on the type of the attack.
    JavaPipe LLC: Global Tomcat Hosting & DDoS Mitigation Solutions
    In business since 2001 | Contact us: salesrequest[at]
    █ Remote Protection | Dedicated Servers | Virtual Servers | Unmetered VPS | Tomcat Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by reldegart View Post
    pls reply i am seeing many thread here about ddos attacks on their server. but is there any way to prevent any server from being attacked? is there any protection? and how use that?
    Best thing is getting server which have hardware protection for ddos attacks.
    Openvz SolusVm VPS DDOS Protected Canada & Romania
    Dedicated Servers And Satellite Dish Colocation with 1Gbps For IPTV
    Canada Anti DDOS Webhosting, Reseller Hosting, WHMsonic, WHMsonic Resellers

Hi, please tell us more about server (protocols used) and protocols used to attack, size of attacks, max ping/latency you can live with, etc. As infinitnet rightly said you have a number of options which, if used appropriately, can diminish the effect of DDoS attacks on your operation and can (hopefully) be within budget.

For big attacks: One way to protect yourself from big DDOS attack is having a huge bandwidth:

"If your Web servers live at a Web hosting company, check in and see just much connectivity they have to major Internet backbones. If they reply on only one or two backbones providers and/or their pipes aren't that big, I'd go looking for another one. When it comes to dealing with DDoS attacks, there's no such thing as enough bandwidth." Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols on this interesting article:

For non-big attacks: There are several other ways as can be seen in this other article by Ron Meyran:
    Amanah Tech Inc. | Always On.
    100TB Dedicated Servers & 100TB Colocation.

South California
    Quote Originally Posted by LankapartnerHost View Post
    Best thing is getting server which have hardware protection for ddos attacks.
    Sure, but you need the network capacity as well. There's also the challenge of having mitigation centers only in one geographic location. Most transit providers don't even have the trans-atlantic and trans-pacific network capacity to carry even 30 Gbps of DDoS. Large attacks these days can exceed 100 Gbps without a problem. The only way to mitigate large attacks is to have equipment in several POPs, in at least two continents. Scrub the DDoS where it originates, backhaul the clean traffic.
    Matt Mahvi
    Staminus, Infrastructure DDoS Protection and Appliances
    @ 200+ Gbps global ddos mitigation network. Local or Remote. Proxy, GRE, and direct cross connects.
    @ Available in Amsterdam, New York, Los Angeles and Orange County. Anycast BGP.

FL, USA
    As has been mentioned, the type of attack is important to understand. Typically an application or server level attack will left be up to you to resolve, but in the case of a large network flood.

Your server provider's terms of service is likely more important than any DDoS measures they provided.

I've dealt with a lot of providers and most - unless they specifically offer DDoS mitigation -- will simply null-route your IP address.

What's "large" varies from vendor to vendor. I've seen systems cut off with as little as 100Mbit inbound flows because the facility had limited connectivity. I've seen other tolerate up to nearly 1Gbit but all will pull the plug.

So, if you are a frequent victim of DDoS, I recommend:

* Understand your providers TOS.
    * Understand the types of attacks you receive.
    * Budget accordingly to mitigate these attacks.
    * Know what tools your provider can offer in case of an attack.
    * If network based, host with a provider or use a dedicated DDoS prevention service.
    * Assure your technical support team knows how to handle such attacks.

In my experience, many providers would rather you cancel your servers and become another vendor's problem than help you with DDoS - especially large network attacks. So be sure your vendor can meet your needs.

We save you time, money, and frustration by handling the server management tasks required to run an online business successfully.
    No prodding required. We just do it right the first time. Red Hat, MySQL, Plesk, and cPanel certified staff.

Walnut, CA
    You would want to check with your provider for DDoS Protection, if they do not offer it, you can check other companies that provide DDoS Mitigation service

you should be able to find plenty in offer section
    :::Psychz Networks:::
    24/7 On-Site Support - Multi-Homed Network -
    ★Los Angeles, CA Premium Network & Dedicated Servers
    ★DDoS Protection Included with every server

You need to identify the attack type. Sometimes the attackers are just like real visitors just overloading your server. - Web Hosting with DDoS Protection | Shared & Reseller in Europe/North America
    Linux/Windows RDP VPS 13 Locations : UK, US (5 states), Mexico, Canada, Bulgaria, Lithuania,
    Italy, France, Germany,Netherlands, Switzerland, Rissia, Singapore | OpenVPN/PPTP Enabled
    INSTANT | PayPal, Skrill, Payza, Bitcoin, WebMoney, Perfect Money, Ukash, CashU, paysafecard

Data center
    The best way to protect servers from ddos is to shut them down. OR.. get DDOS protection from their site...