* New Domain Extensions. What will this mean for dot com?

Wanted to know what all of you think of the new domain extensions that will be soon to release for public registration. Over 700 new extensions (.shop, .love, .adult, .apple, etc) Will all of you still continue to support dot COM?

When will they start allowing registration of the new domain extensions?

Also, what makes an aged domain valuable?

I prefer .com , other extension are just cheap alternatives

.com will always be the King of domains.
    New extensions will always keep showing up, but you can't replace the king of domains
    ElitePixels.net - Web Design / Re-Design Services
    Experts in Web-Hosting Designs
    http://www.twitter.com/elitepixelsnet

Quote Originally Posted by ElitePixels View Post
    .com will always be the King of domains.
    New extensions will always keep showing up, but you can't replace the king of domains
    Amen, ElitePixels!

Especially if its a business oriented website, the .com is a must.
    Many new domain extensions are actually pretty cool, but many, many years will pass until one becomes remotely as popular. Its like making the best homemade burger ever - you are sure in its qualities and taste, but that won't make people stop stuffing themselves in McDonalds
    www.WebHostFace.com where Service always comes with a smiling face!
    Contact us for Shared, VPS, Reseller and Dedicated Hosting Solutions.

Hello silvereagle510,

I think that .com will still remain the first one that everyone thinks of when they check for a domain. Remember long ago they didn't have but a few. The original TLDs were .gov, .edu, .com, .mil,.org, and .net. Even then they were for specific uses. Other TLDs came out, the coutnry codes came out, and even more TLDs came out after that. Still .com, .net, and .org remain the top 3.

While the new TLDs will certainly give a large list of alternative choices, I don't think the top 3 have anything to worry about.

If anything, it just means we will not see domains-like-this-as-often. It could be a decent opportunity for any smart cybersquatters as well.

Check the new list here: http://www.newtldlist.com/

Also, remember that registrars have to pay an annual fee for every TLD they offer to ICANN, so I'm sure many of these will not be widely offered.
    [B]Scott M

Quote Originally Posted by scott_m View Post
    . Other TLDs came out, the coutnry codes came out, and even more TLDs came out after that. Still .com, .net, and .org remain the top 3.
    They are the top three GTLDs, and .com is probably still the top TLD overall, but I believe there are now more domains registered under some ccTLDs than there are under .net and .org

No TLD will ever beat .COM

Quote Originally Posted by Lubeca View Post
    They are the top three GTLDs, and .com is probably still the top TLD overall, but I believe there are now more domains registered under some ccTLDs than there are under .net and .org
    As far as I remember, when I checked that about a couple of months ago, ".org" was still 2nd most popular, and the only ccTLD more popular than the ".net" was ".uk". However I do recall ".ca" being very close, so I won't be too surprised if they surpassed the ".net"

.com will always look more professional

I agree that .com will reign supreme. Think antiques!

New Domain Extensions. What will this mean for dot com?

Long live .com TLD.

.com always will be popular domain.
    And i think .com is better and more possible to rank fast (do SEO)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave - Just199 View Post
    .com will always look more professional

More professional than what?

Here in the UK, and in many other European countries, it's generally the national ccTLD that is seen as being the professional's choice. And consumers tend to trust the local ccTLD more than they trust .com.

Is this really an argument?

yeah, it depends on the region but if we generalize nothing can beat .com for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rado_Ch View Post
    As far as I remember, when I checked that about a couple of months ago, ".org" was still 2nd most popular, and the only ccTLD more popular than the ".net" was ".uk". However I do recall ".ca" being very close, so I won't be too surprised if they surpassed the ".net"
    Where did you check?

I have access to GTLD and European statistics, and according to the latest figures (September 2013) .de was ahead of .net which in turn was ahead of .uk and .org (in that order)

Where did you check?

I have access to GTLD and European statistics, and according to the latest figures (September 2013) .de was ahead of .net which in turn was ahead of .uk and .org (in that order)

Fully possible, I tried to recall some statistics I saw around May 2013. In the TLD business sharp movements are not so unusual, so I can only agree with you, until I find another, more recent stat

Unless you are targeting a specific country, the .com TLD will be King for a long time, regardless of what new TLDs are coming online.

The only way .com will ever diminish in value is if the entire TLD concept is removed or somehow changed. (ie: Instead of having "something.something" you could just have "something".) However, this isn't very likely to happen as it would require an entirely different DNS system.
    Want to sell domain names? Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account from a trusted eNom ETP provider.
    * We provide support and service to over 3245 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

More professional than what?

Here in the UK, and in many other European countries, it's generally the national ccTLD that is seen as being the professional's choice. And consumers tend to trust the local ccTLD more than they trust .com.
    The .com market is, to people who examine such things, not a single market TLD but rather a TLD with a set of country level and trans national markets. In countries where there is a strong ccTLD and a well developed infrastructure, the ccTLD generally tends to have more registrations. The .com/.ccTLD axis in these countries generally represents 80% or more of the domain footprint for that country. The .net and .org percentages are more like legacy registrations as they are very slow growth TLDs. As for .info and .biz, they seem to be declining.

What may happen is that the market leaders will add some of the new gTLDs that they think will sell well but will still focus on their ccTLD/com market share. At a higher level, (registries), there will be a move towards capitalising on the confusion caused by the new gTLDs and a "dotWhat? dotUK!" kind of reaction might occur. It could be similar to how the .eu fiasco in 2006 and domain tasting actually drove ccTLD registration volume.

What worries me is that there are a lot of fanboys and fangirls pushing the new gTLDs and many of these new gTLDs are not going to be the successes that their backers or their fans expect.

Regards...jmcc
    http://www.hosterstats.com
    Domain History Search and Webhoster Statistics.
    Hoster Stats for over 7M hosters and over 467M domains.
    Now with domain hosting history for new gTLDs.

Has .xxx been a success? I don't see .xxx domains being used in the pron industry except perhaps as redirects to the established .com sites. Can anyone name a successful xxx site?

Guys I think you all are missing a point here. You are all taking in general. A fact is that always most popular domain names have been the creative ones and with adding so much new TLDs the space for creativity will be big enough for rising new stars. .com is not a precondition for success, but for being just like millions others...

Quote Originally Posted by Techno View Post
    Has .xxx been a success? I don't see .xxx domains being used in the pron industry except perhaps as redirects to the established .com sites. Can anyone name a successful xxx site?
    Perhaps for the registry but there seems to be very little use of the TLD for anything other than brand protection registrations.

Regards...jmcc

Quote Originally Posted by GreenHornet View Post
    Guys I think you all are missing a point here. You are all taking in general. A fact is that always most popular domain names have been the creative ones and with adding so much new TLDs the space for creativity will be big enough for rising new stars. .com is not a precondition for success, but for being just like millions others...
    I did a count on the number of .com domains dropped and not renewed over the space of about ten years a while ago. It was approximately 140 million. Many of those people probably thought they were being creative. The real killer for new gTLDs will be usage. It doesn't matter if there are a million or a hundred thousand domains registered in a TLD if nobody develops websites on that TLD. And many of the new gTLDs are hoping for brand protection registrations to drive a lot of their volume in the first year of operation. That's where existing domain owners register their equivalent domains in new TLDs. But these brand protection registrations rarely become websites and many are just pointed to the owner's primary brand website in .com or .ccTLD.

Regards...jmcc

Quote Originally Posted by jmccormac View Post
    Perhaps for the registry but there seems to be very little use of the TLD for anything other than brand protection registrations.

Regards...jmcc
    There are actually around 15-20-ish websites with .xxx domain that reside in the top 100 000 domains, according to the Google Rank (tho it hasn't been updated for 10 months now). And as far as I can recall they are all sites with adult content. There is even the site "search.xxx" that is like the Google of such delicate content

.com is the best domain extension to have. It's probably the extension that everybody remembers most.

I like the idea of the new extensions (like .shop, .love etc), but don't think they are strong enough as a main domain name.
    Shane Needs | Founder
    SurfWebs Network ~ Surfing your hosting!
    Shared Hosting | Domain Name Registration | Web Development
    Guranteed Network | Telephone, Ticket and Email Support | 7 Day Money Back

National/local TLDs usually appeal to local customers and businesses. Dot com addresses on the other hand are for companies that provide services intended for the international audience.

So in other words, .com will always remain prominent but it depends on who the business/company is trying to appeal and market to.

Quote Originally Posted by eindustries View Post
    National/local TLDs usually appeal to local customers and businesses. Dot com addresses on the other hand are for companies that provide services intended for the international audience.

So in other words, .com will always remain prominent but it depends on who the business/company is trying to appeal and market to.
    Agreed there! I use .co.uk for local customers/businesses but usually purchase the .com and .eu to redirect - protecting the brand.
    Shane Needs | Founder
    SurfWebs Network ~ Surfing your hosting!
    Shared Hosting | Domain Name Registration | Web Development
    Guranteed Network | Telephone, Ticket and Email Support | 7 Day Money Back

Quote Originally Posted by jmccormac View Post

Regards...jmcc
    I use a couple, one for my personal email which give people a double take when they ask me for an email address, another one is for my gaming servers and http://jesusloves.xxx still developing

+ NOW WE'RE MAKING RECORDS, NOW WE'RE MAKING TAPES

Quote Originally Posted by culthost View Post
    always have .com as the main site and use the other extensions as alternate. redirect other extensions to the .com site.
    Probably good advice for some countries - but terrible advice for others such as the UK.

.com will rule for ever followed by country based domains. Org and .net too will have a small portion.. Other domains might not perform well as those extensions will not get it to the so called " popular domains category " !

For example .co came in but couldn't take much market share.. So it will be same for the rest as well =)

.com stands for commercial and the people for years get used to this domain extension and it look it will stay as the most popular in the coming years.

The gTLD (Generic top-level domain - or the new domains extensions) will become available around 2014-2016. But they are available for Pre-Register in any good domain reseller. Their goal is to make navigation easier (and a way to group categories of new Web Sites). I'm not sure, but I believe that will be cheaper than dot com

.com will always stay on top whatever these new extensions they release. I think those will only make .com domains more valuable.
    >.<

I think that majority of new extensions will be forgotten soon. The .com extension is the best

Its ludicrous to think that any of the new domain extensions will come even close to the .com one. As I read somewhere currently there are many of the new gTLD's without even 1 order, and another good percentage that have 1-2 orders. All in all they will be valuable only for people with specific ideas and businesses, but the mass crowd would not give up on .com's anytime soon