Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Finally gave up on Hostgator

I just couldn't take it anymore. Hostgator has always provided great service to me. But after the "Server Upgrade" my sites load times have been all over the road. At first I contributed it to many migrations going on perhaps causing a large server load. I waited 2 month and nothing improved.

I threw up a 0.3kb html page to test the server response time and according to GTMETRIX.COM, my page load speeds ran from anywhere between. 2 to 58 seconds. I called Hostgator support and told them about the the slow loading and they told me perhaps I needed to optimize my pages and that they would be happy to help. Which is great but then when I told them that the page I was using was a pure 0.3k html page and had an a optimization rating on gtmetrix, they had no answers to that.

Then a tech told me that my php path was wrong and that would cause this problem and he "fixed it". Well my page starting loading in 2s again. BUT, no more than 30 minutes later, it starting taking over 7 seconds to load the same file again. That file only had 2 server requests on it. They did everything they could to deny server issues.

I shopped around and searched here for an alternate host and settled on StableHost. That same 0.3kb page loads every time in under 1 second. All my sites are loading reliably in under 2 seconds.

When I called hostgator's cancellation department, the representative was very nice and proceeded to tell me that hostgator no longer has any control over the server administration and that accounts are being migrated to BlueHosts's data center. She was very apologetic and offered to refund the remaining unused 1 year of service. I paid $200.00 for 3 years and she only gave me. $28.00 back! I used 66% of my service and they only refunded a 14% refund!

So sad to see the dismantling of a perfectly good host for a few extra bucks.

*Note: I have been with StableHost for about 3 weeks and at the moment I am very pleased with the service. Hope they don't sell out....

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us Chip.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Happy you made the right choice and find a better solution.

Please keep us updated and we wish you great success.
    Fully Managed Web Hosting with 24hrs Non Stop Support
    Wordpress Hosting | Socialengine Hosting | phpFox Hosting
    30 Days Money back | 24hrs Non Stop Support | Instant Setup

Thanks for your time. Please keep us updated on your new provider. Good luck
    Looking around for some time
    PM me for Website Design and Web Development Work.

Hostgator has gone way down hill sad to hear another bad review, they need to get their acts together

Appreciate your efforts ChipK. Feel bad at the same time. (However, No offense to anyone)
    Hostpaedia - Affordable, Reliable & Secure Web Hosting
    Web Hosting : Host Unlimited Websites, cPanel, Softaculous, Servers in USA and Germany
    Reseller Hosting : cPanel, Softaculous
    VPS Hosting : KVM VPS powered by Virtualizor

It's crazy seeing all these reviews about HostGator. I remember when it was rare to see them. I used to recommend them all the time.
    █ █ █

Quote Originally Posted by rits View Post
    It's crazy seeing all these reviews about HostGator. I remember when it was rare to see them. I used to recommend them all the time.

Anything EIG touches is a ticking time bomb. Unfortunately we all waited for this downfall to occur.

ChipK,

Hopefully things go smooth and we don't hear from you again with any issues.

Good Luck

Things seem to have really been going downhill for them since the data center move to Utah.
    SimpleSonic - We Make Fast... Easy!
    US/UK/MY - 100% Uptime - Shared - Reseller - cPanel - DirectAdmin - WHMCS Included!
    Blazing Fast NVMe SSD - CloudLinux - Imunify360 - LiteSpeed - MailChannels - JetBackup

It's a shame to see posts like this about HostGator - they used to be so reliable.
    Geekiti - Geeky stuff, for geeky people.

Quote Originally Posted by mmarty View Post
    It's a shame to see posts like this about HostGator - they used to be so reliable.
    I used to hear a lot of good things about them before EIG took over. It is indeed sad to see a previously good company go downhill.

Chad
    Webmasterbabble.com Webmaster Forum
    Come join us at webmasterbabble.com

Let's not get too revisionist. When Brent ran it, there were still some issues.

For example:
    - the shadiness of the affiliate program
    - losing domains
    - slow reseller accounts

It's ALWAYS had some serious issues. Under EIG, it's just so bad that the "good ol' days" seem good. But they really weren't. There were, and are, far better hosts out there.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    Let's not get too revisionist. When Brent ran it, there were still some issues.

For example:
    - the shadiness of the affiliate program
    - losing domains
    - slow reseller accounts

It's ALWAYS had some serious issues. Under EIG, it's just so bad that the "good ol' days" seem good. But they really weren't. There were, and are, far better hosts out there.
    Very true!

I have always had a soft spot for HG for some reason but there are definitely better providers out there, usually smaller and lesser-known hosts are much better - in my experience at least.

I've recently taken a liking to Namecheap and, although not small or lesser-known, they've been fantastic thus far.
    Geekiti - Geeky stuff, for geeky people.

Quote Originally Posted by rits View Post

Same here. When I entered in to web hosting back in 2001, HostGator was the (you know what!) Sad to see them falling so fast.

.. yep, and honestly why we started hosting ourselves - we got sick of trying to find a decent host.

We all know that EIG owned companies are not hosts - they are a source of income for their (EIG) Investors. They do not care about anything other than the almighty $ - so it was always an inevitable outcome that there would be a lot people whom have had enough.

In reality, everything was pretty good until they decided to migrate at which time everything started going downhill with them.
    CPanel Shared and Reseller Hosting, OpenVZ VPS Hosting. West Coast (LA) Servers and Nodes
    Running Linux since 1.0.8 Kernel!
    Providing Internet Services since 1995 and Hosting Since 2004

I hosted with HostGator since 2011 before switching to Limestone Networks because HostGator network banned me because I received a large DDOS attack to my website that i didn't iptable in time. Overall they were good.

A host that banned you was good? REALLY?
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Thumbs up

Hi,

I came to know that Hostgator is one of the best webhosting provider but your post put me into a dilemma whether to opt Hostgator services or not. Could you please tell me how actually are Hostgator services interms of customer support, bandwidth, uptime etc

Will be waiting for your reply.

Regards
    Kristen

Quote Originally Posted by whgenius View Post
    I came to know that Hostgator is one of the best webhosting provider but your post put me into a dilemma
    No it's not. HG hasn't been "best" at anything in nearly two years now.
    Did you miss the memo? It's just another EIG brand now. (ie, a horrible host)
    Pick a better host. There are many.
    You're at the right site to research quality hosts.
    || Need a good host?
    ||

Sorry to hear about your expirence with them.

Thanks for sharing your experience and sorry to hear about your bad experience with HostGator. I hope any hostgator staff will read this thread and will short out these things.
    YagHost - Fast Reliable Hosting Since 2009
    Managed VPS - NVMe DirectAdmin
    Web Hosting - NVMe SSD, AMD EPYC, 10 Gbps (US, Europe, Singapore)

It's what happens when a large company tries to put a "one size fits all" on individual brands. I guess thats good for us that are competing with Hostgator.
    U.S.A. High Resource allocation global cloud hosting serving 310,000 clients since 2008 | Offering both cPanel & DirectAdmin
    WebsitePlex.com | Instant Activation | Alpha, Master, Reseller & Cloud Hosting
    Recurring Affiliate Program Pays 20% of total revenue for life | 30 Day Trial

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with HostGator. Hope you enjoy your services with Stablehost. They are great people.
    HostClearly.com
    HostClearly Web Hosting
    #WeAreYourBussinessPartner
    Shared, Reseller, and VPS Hosting since 2010!

Quote Originally Posted by KeithLatteri View Post
    I hosted with HostGator since 2011 before switching to Limestone Networks because HostGator network banned me because I received a large DDOS attack to my website that i didn't iptable in time. Overall they were good.
    Unbelievable!

Quote Originally Posted by 48-14 View Post
    Anything EIG touches is a ticking time bomb. Unfortunately we all waited for this downfall to occur.

ChipK,

Hopefully things go smooth and we don't hear from you again with any issues.

Good Luck
    Exactly ,EIG should improve their business model and servers to get valuable clients in future else they'll depend on "million dollars advertisement+referrals" for the same .
    Fastest . Reliable . Affordable Web Hosting by MNCHOST.COM

█ Shared | Business | Reseller : 1.Litespeed 2.Cpanel 3.Pure SSDs 4.US Support 5.Hourly Backups
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers | Premium Bandwidth | New SSD-US Servers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast