Bulk Email / Spam Abuse

Hey guys, I have been seeing a very displeasing trend in my VPS customers. I have been getting a LOT of customers using my VPSs for bulk emailing. They buy 2 or 3 servers, let them sit for a few days, then send out MASSIVE amounts of emails. Of course, I get tons of abuse reports from Spam Corp, and suspend the customer, but I do not understand why they use MY company. It's not even like my prices are insanely low, my VPS prices are actually a bit higher than most hosts, due to the DDoS protection. I'm sure there are cheaper hosts, that don't suspend as fast. Am I the only one with this problem?

P.S: This is a weekly thing, I am ALWAYS getting more of these people.

You are getting these people because you allow it. I don't know what you define as "MASSIVE amounts of emails", but if the spammer is able to signup and send their spam list even once... then they are happy.

What you need to do is set very low mail sending default limits for any new account. If the customer wants to increase the limit, then they need to contact you to provide the reason. For example, you could set the default to 200 emails per hour and then decline anything else automatically. (And send you an alert if the limit is exceeded.) This way, you can easily find any new customer who exceeds their limit within a week of signup. The vast majority of server owners will never even come close to this limit, and if they need to.. then asking them to contact you first is easy to explain to them that you are doing it to protect your network and it is for their benefit, etc. (Legitimate customers always like it when you err on the side of looking out for their betterment.)

TL/DR: If you set up a new server and don't set a default limit to the amount of outgoing mail, then you're a spammer's dream provider.

Want to sell domain names? Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account from a trusted eNom ETP provider.
    * We provide support and service to over 3245 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

There is no doubt in my mind that this happens to all hosting companies with reasonable prices unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Seegee View Post
    Hey guys, I have been seeing a very displeasing trend in my VPS customers. I have been getting a LOT of customers using my VPSs for bulk emailing. They buy 2 or 3 servers, let them sit for a few days, then send out MASSIVE amounts of emails. Of course, I get tons of abuse reports from Spam Corp, and suspend the customer, but I do not understand why they use MY company. It's not even like my prices are insanely low, my VPS prices are actually a bit higher than most hosts, due to the DDoS protection. I'm sure there are cheaper hosts, that don't suspend as fast. Am I the only one with this problem?

P.S: This is a weekly thing, I am ALWAYS getting more of these people.
    Please, before anything, start using FraudRecord. It's basically a service where hosts can report clients, and other hosts will see those reports when those same clients try to sign up with them. It's helped to catch a lot of spammers for us, and the more hosts who use it, the better it will be.

Beyond that, we've seen the same thing. Do they usually ask for several IP addresses? That is the case with us, and the solution was to start cracking down on accounts requesting a lot of IPs.