Resource Limit Issues with Stablehost

For years, I was a happy, loyal customer at HostGator, but it all went downhill after the "upgrade" to a new server after the company was sold. I looked here and a few other places, and heard good things about Stablehost, so I moved my site there. The move was quick and easy, but I had some questions about some of the stats listed in the cpanel. I saw that my account had an entry process limit of 20, so I sent in a ticket to tech support to ask about the limit, and they confirmed the entry process limit of 20, and said it shouldn't be an issue.

About a month into my service, I noticed that the entry process limit was decreased to 10. I submitted another ticket to ask why it had been lowered, and was told that my server had been configured incorrectly previously, and 10 was the number it should be. I complained that I should have been told that previously since the other tech gave me the incorrect information and said that the limit was 20. Stablehost was nice enough to honor what the previous tech said and moved me back up to 20.

The past month has gone by without issue until this morning when I looked at my cpanel, and noticed there was another change in my resource usage. The entry process limit got moved back down to 10 again, but that's not all. Other stats, which have been the same since I signed up 2 months ago, have gone down as well:
    Virtual memory usage limit was 4930mb, but is now 1024mb
    Input/Output usage limit was 1096kb/s, but is now 1024kb/s
    There is also a new processes limit that was not there before. The limit for that is 30.

I submitted a ticket as soon as I saw the change. I got a response from the initial tech saying that they would escalate the issue to senior system administrators so they could handle the problem (which is fine because I've found the first level of support there is not particularly helpful). That was at 8:40am EST, and I have yet to hear back from anyone at Stablehost.

I want to know if this kind of limit switch is common. I feel like it's incredibly unprofessional to lead a customer to believe that they're getting one thing, and then months later change it around without any notice or warning. It basically feels like a bait and switch where they lower limits so that they can claim I'm now exhausting my resources and need to move up to enterprise/VPS hosting, even though I was well within my previous limits. If all the settings were incorrect due to a server misconfiguration, I would have thought I would have been informed of this the last time there was a misconfiguration issue.

I'm sorry for the long post, but I wanted to make sure to put all the facts in there. I expected a lot from Stablehost, and am quite disappointed because of this. I feel like for the remainder of my contract with them, I need to watch my resource limits carefully or they'll just change them whenever they feel like it.

Thank you for any insight you can provide.
      0 Not allowed!

I agree, this shouldnt have happened in the first place at least not without any notice...but this could have been a mistake and im sure Stablehost will get this issue settled soon!
      0 Not allowed!

Isn't this a breach of contract ?

It sounds like what you signed up for and are paying for, is no longer what you're getting.
      0 Not allowed!

Sorry to hear about the issues!

What is your ticket number so I can check into your request. We have no tickets older than 90 minutes in any of our queues so I'm not sure if it got closed out by accident or what?

Either way, our process limit for PHP applications is 10 and all processes total is 30. If we gave you incorrect information and told you 20, we'll honor that for your account, not an issue at all.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by hosting-buyer View Post
    Isn't this a breach of contract ?

It sounds like what you signed up for and are paying for, is no longer what you're getting.
    hosting-buyer, it certainly seems like what I paid for isn't what I'm getting. As far as I know, the resource limits aren't posted anywhere on Stablehost's site, so I really have no idea what the actual limits are. I've just been assuming that the information in my cPanel was correct.
    Last edited by srj9920; 11-21-2013 at 03:46 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by stablehost View Post
    Sorry to hear about the issues!

What is your ticket number so I can check into your request. We have no tickets older than 90 minutes in any of our queues so I'm not sure if it got closed out by accident or what?

Either way, our process limit for PHP applications is 10 and all processes total is 30. If we gave you incorrect information and told you 20, we'll honor that for your account, not an issue at all.
    Thank you for your reply. My ticket number is 316969. It was submitted this morning at 8:13am EST.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by srj9920 View Post
    hosting-buyer, it certainly seems like what I paid for isn't what I'm getting. As far as I know, the resource limits aren't posted anywhere on Stablehost's site, so I really have no idea what the actual limits are. I've just been assuming that the information in my cPanel was correct.
    Looks like they are onto this for you, a nice & quick reply above.
    Good luck.
      0 Not allowed!

Thank you for your reply. My ticket number is 316969. It was submitted this morning at 8:13am EST.
    Upon reviewing your account, we had this issue with you last month as well. Sadly you were told incorrect information, but we made it up to you by allowing you to have up to 20 connections, this was changed last month.

Sadly, we run the same configs on all servers, so once and a while, configs will get reset to the default config which is what happened and you were set back at 10.

I've gone ahead and changed it back to 20, but I can't promise it won't get auto-reset to 10 again in the future during upgrades or what not. If you do see it back at 10 for your account, you can reply to your ticket and we'll adjust it.
      1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by stablehost View Post
    Upon reviewing your account, we had this issue with you last month as well. Sadly you were told incorrect information, but we made it up to you by allowing you to have up to 20 connections, this was changed last month.

Sadly, we run the same configs on all servers, so once and a while, configs will get reset to the default config which is what happened and you were set back at 10.

I've gone ahead and changed it back to 20, but I can't promise it won't get auto-reset to 10 again in the future during upgrades or what not. If you do see it back at 10 for your account, you can reply to your ticket and we'll adjust it.
    Yes, I referenced the previous incident in my initial post (and in my support ticket). I see in my cPanel that you did indeed move the entry process limit back to 20, but my virtual memory and input/output limits are still at the new lower limits. I would like those changed back to the limits that they have been for the last 2 months. Thank you.
      0 Not allowed!

Please reply back to our support ticket and we'll be glad to assist you going further.

Thank you!
      0 Not allowed!

I can happily report that Stablehost has resolved this issue. My virtual memory and I/O usage limits were indeed misconfigured, which I'm not thrilled about, but I should still be within the limits. They offered to refund my entire account for my troubles, but for now I am willing to stick with them and give them another chance.
      1 Not allowed!

I can happily report that Stablehost has resolved this issue. My virtual memory and I/O usage limits were indeed misconfigured, which I'm not thrilled about, but I should still be within the limits. They offered to refund my entire account for my troubles, but for now I am willing to stick with them and give them another chance.
    Good to see.

It is always best to contact them first directly as I am sure they are willing to help.

/closed.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx
      1 Not allowed!