Living in North America vs. UK?

If you had the choice where would you live? In North America or the UK? What are your reasons?

I'm torn between the two. I'm in Canada now, but have the ability to live in the UK.

i currently live in the USA would love to move to UK , the way the country is being ran is starting to get very bad and i need new place to explore

Re: Living in North America vs. UK?

I wouldn't jump ship just yet, I wouldn't say that the UK is ran that well to be honest, Our energy prices are absolutely ridiculous and living costs are rising tenfold! People can't afford to drive anymore due to the prices of fuel and pensioners are struggling to keep themselves warm in the winter. Its not all its cracked up to be.
    █ • North Hosts Limited - Company Number 8808995 Affordable UK Web Hosting
    █ • Shared • Reseller • VPS • Dedicated • 24/7/365 Support • Instant Activation
    █ • Trendy Site Builder • CloudFlare • Softaculous • Seo Tools • cPanel

If you can afford to purchase your house outright, then the UK is worth it

However, if you have a mortgage then take into account that interest rates may go up in the near future
    The mortgage may be cheap just now (starting from 0.5%) but this increase will vastly reduce any monies used for other household outgoings

Living costs always go up, and quite rightly too
    However, the fuel price accelerator (applied by previous governments) has not helped
    Thankfully, road fuel taxes have stabilised and are not likely to change (either increase or decrease) for the next two years

The main issue is the over-supply in the employment market along with the low interest rates, which is resulting in minimal pay increases (and in some cases nil increases)

Many people in the UK have had to cut costs, the first to go are usually the excesses, such as nights out, dining out, and so on...
    M8 INTERNET : Simple and cost effective website hosting from the UK
    M8 INTERNET : Google Ads Account Management

What's the job market like for those who hold university degrees? Is it still rather grim? I would be interested in N. Ireland as most of my family lives there.

The Job market is pretty poor to be honest, we have lots of people with degrees who can't get jobs that are qualified, it depends what the degree is in. Northern Ireland? They are in a worst state than us, they had a huge economy crash not long ago.

I hate the fact that they drive on the other side of the road and that the steering wheel is on the other side of the car, I will not be able to get used to that. I'd choose NA.

The Job market is pretty poor to be honest,
    true, as majority of job agencies advertise the fake jobs, the reason is to collect the personal information as they paid for up-to-date database.

Quote Originally Posted by sprorll View Post
    I hate the fact that they drive on the other side of the road and that the steering wheel is on the other side of the car, I will not be able to get used to that. I'd choose NA.
    Its you that drives on the wrong side of the road not us! :p

Quote Originally Posted by NorthHosts View Post
    Its you that drives on the wrong side of the road not us! :p
    Haha. Considering most of the world drives on the right hand side I think it's you who drive on the wrong side!

And why is it sometimes possible to turn on a red light? Whats that all about!

I wouldn't come to the UK unless you're guaranteed a job or can live comfortably for a year or so without a job. Having a degree doesn't make much of a difference here as many students found out when leaving college and uni.

Driving on the wrong side of the road? We think it's you that drives on the wrong side haha

Quote Originally Posted by NorthHosts View Post
    Northern Ireland? They are in a worst state than us, they had a huge economy crash not long ago.
    Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom
    The economic crash was in the Republic Of Ireland
    Obviously this has affected Nothern Ireland to a certain degree
    Equally, many large companies have started importing to Northern Ireland from the United Kingdom rather than through Ireland

If you are looking to be near relatives in Northern Ireland, then it may be prudent to consider living in the Republic of Ireland
    The houses have seriously devalued although the taxation has increased vastly
    M8 INTERNET : Simple and cost effective website hosting from the UK
    M8 INTERNET : Google Ads Account Management

There's plenty of jobs available In the uk, you just have to find them - they don't find you. But yeah - fuel prices are terrible; I'm going through a full tank every few days now.
    HostUS - Premium Hosting Made Affordable
    TEN Worldwide locations spanning USA, Europe & Asia Pacific
    Own ASN, Own Network, Own IPs - AS7489 & AS25926

Quote Originally Posted by m8internet View Post
    Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom
    The economic crash was in the Republic Of Ireland
    Obviously this has affected Nothern Ireland to a certain degree
    Equally, many large companies have started importing to Northern Ireland from the United Kingdom rather than through Ireland

If you are looking to be near relatives in Northern Ireland, then it may be prudent to consider living in the Republic of Ireland
    The houses have seriously devalued although the taxation has increased vastly
    Interesting. Does anybody know how companies in the UK/Ireland view candidates from North America? Is there any bias towards hiring people born/raised there?

Absolutely no bias whatsoever, an example of this is the polish. We have many (and I mean many) polish workers over here. Its all about capabilities not where your from.

Quote Originally Posted by Corx View Post
    Interesting. Does anybody know how companies in the UK/Ireland view candidates from North America? Is there any bias towards hiring people born/raised there?
    I have a couple of friends who've moved from Canada to the UK - one last year and one a good few years ago - and they managed to get a job without any difficulty. But they also had experience, skills and qualifications to make them attractive to employers. You will be in a competitive field, but your qualifications will matter far more than where you come from.

The only thing I'd add, this is in London which is very much a multicultural environment - I've no idea about the situation in Northern Ireland or indeed the rest of the UK. Only to say that 3 years ago, I decided to move from Scotland to London to get a job (not that I couldn't in Scotland, but there were far more interesting & relevant opportunities in London).
    Alasdair
    Long time ex-host, ex-billing software owner/developer/support staff. Recent lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by Corx View Post
    If you had the choice where would you live? In North America or the UK? What are your reasons?

I'm torn between the two. I'm in Canada now, but have the ability to live in the UK.
    I lived in London for four years...

I want to live in the USA... had a choice to go back, but refused.

Mainly, I like the standard of living in the US... it fits "me". Don't get me wrong, UK is okay and a great place... I like the US better... houses, cars, culture, weather, etc.

I have several friends who live in the UK and Spain who are originally from the US... they like it overseas.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

I think Canada is great. I really don't see a reason why anyone would want to leave here!

I have lived in the UK for about 3-4 years. Apart from the bad weather, i think its a great place to live.

Businesses should not show any bias towards the background demographics of a candidate. The truth is in the UK there is a massive shortage of STEM qualified individuals in the UK, therefore if you can afford in an area where there are a need for people with your skill set then there should be a natural bias towards skills rather than background.

In terms of graduate training programs there will be a minimum expectation of education but this is specific to this.

I would suggest to look at the jobs within your niche and set up phone conferences as first interviews prior to looking to move to see your chances of gaining employment in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by 24*7HostingSupport View Post
    I have lived in the UK for about 3-4 years. Apart from the bad weather, i think its a great place to live.
    Where did you live prior to the UK?