How to fill your knowledge base?

Hi there,
    I am in the process of setting up my billing software and looking to fill my knowledge base and faq section, but how do you get all the information to fill it up as thinking of things people may ask or need to know will take hours.
    Is there any basic resource that gives all the standard questions that will be asked?
    Thanks all for your help.

TrentaHost INC. | 5 Years Operating | DDOS Protected Network | Multiple Locations | 24/7 Support
    DDOS Protected Web/Reseller/Master - DEDICATED IP | WHMCS | CloudFlare | LiteSpeed | CloudLinux
    DDOS Protected KVM Windows & Linux VPS | 7 Locations | 20GBPS DDOS Protection Windows & Linux VPS
    DDOS Protected Dedicated Servers | 20GBPS DDOS Protection | Control Panel | Price Match Guarantee*

Re: How to fill your knowledge base?

Check other hosts' FAQs and see what they have. Also add all questions by your clients to the FAQ if you believe they can be helpful for others.

Quote Originally Posted by TrentaHost View Post
    The last update was on 2010, not something I would recommend to have on your web site, the other one seems more up to date though.
    [DC'S] SINGAPORE. AUSTRALIA. JAPAN. INDIA. CHINA HK. USA. UK. NETHERLANDS. GERMANY. SOUTH AFRICA
    MyCompanyWeb™: Start Your Own Professional Web Hosting Company in 24 Hours
    SkyNetHosting.Net - SEO Hosting. Reseller Hosting. Shared Hosting & VPS - 14 Years in Business!
    Dedicated IP + SSL + WHMCS + Domain Reseller + Master Reseller + 100% SSD + End User Support and More!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by EasyAsPie View Post
    Check other hosts' FAQs and see what they have. Also add all questions by your clients to the FAQ if you believe they can be helpful for others.
    +1 on this. Also every time a customer writes in - if it's a generic enough question, you can use the option to convert your answer, along with the question, to an FAQ entry.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyNetHosting View Post
    The last update was on 2010, not something I would recommend to have on your web site, the other one seems more up to date though.
    Just posted the ones available out there, up to the OP to decide which one he wants to install.
    TrentaHost INC. | 5 Years Operating | DDOS Protected Network | Multiple Locations | 24/7 Support
    DDOS Protected Web/Reseller/Master - DEDICATED IP | WHMCS | CloudFlare | LiteSpeed | CloudLinux
    DDOS Protected KVM Windows & Linux VPS | 7 Locations | 20GBPS DDOS Protection Windows & Linux VPS
    DDOS Protected Dedicated Servers | 20GBPS DDOS Protection | Control Panel | Price Match Guarantee*

Quote Originally Posted by TrentaHost View Post
    Just posted the ones available out there, up to the OP to decide which one he wants to install.
    sure thing! Just wanted to let the OP know its dated. I would not install anything that has no updates for almost 3 years.
    [DC'S] SINGAPORE. AUSTRALIA. JAPAN. INDIA. CHINA HK. USA. UK. NETHERLANDS. GERMANY. SOUTH AFRICA
    MyCompanyWeb™: Start Your Own Professional Web Hosting Company in 24 Hours
    SkyNetHosting.Net - SEO Hosting. Reseller Hosting. Shared Hosting & VPS - 14 Years in Business!
    Dedicated IP + SSL + WHMCS + Domain Reseller + Master Reseller + 100% SSD + End User Support and More!

Quote Originally Posted by coffeenrum View Post
    +1 on this. Also every time a customer writes in - if it's a generic enough question, you can use the option to convert your answer, along with the question, to an FAQ entry.
    +1. This is the best practice. It will take time, but it will be unique, and it will serve both you and your clients perfectly.
    Michael Vlastos
    HostWired.com - Innovative Hosting Solutions since 2005 | cPanel, Softaculous
    Personalized support | No site suspensions | No overloaded servers | Green Hosting
    Multiple Backups | Average Response Time: 20 min | Toll Free: 1-855-ECO-HOST

Quote Originally Posted by EasyAsPie View Post
    Very good suggestion, thank you.
    So I guess it just buils with your customer questions then. Will check some other hosts to get an idea of the genric ones I think.

I've personally made a set of short flash video tutorials that show the answer to most software related (cPanel) questions that I'm going to use . Seemed like the best route to me.

We mostly put questions customers ask us in there, which might be useful for other customers.
    Also tutorials are very useful for customers or explain more complex issues.
    » www.InstantDedicated.com - Online in no time
    » Dedicated Servers in [EU] Netherlands with DAILY support, also on weekends
    » DDOS Protected network - 100% Money Back if it doesn't work for you
    » Streaming / IPTV allowed | Up to 10 Gbit ports | 100% Network Uptime

A lot of people or companies offer knowledge base articles for a decent price. You can buy them or make your own it isn't that hard at all.

For WHMCS there is also http://whmcscollective.com
    cPanel, CloudLinux, Softaculous ℵ Off Site Backups, Redundant DNS

Thank you, BeZazz, for that useful link. I thought we had a pretty robust knowledgebase but we will take a look, it seems that they have 400+ articles. Typically, we take frequently asked questions and turn them into knowledgebse articles.

I think that no matter the updates, one should not use a premade KB list. Reason is the same as to why you should write your own content - uniqueness, with which you gain points with the search engines. Here are a few pointers from me:

- If you decide to use a premade list of articles, take your time and check the list. Choose the articles you feel are most relevant for your service and rewrite them.

- Check your competitors and see which are the most common topics they include in theirs - I've personally taken that route a while ago and I can assure you that you will find patterns pretty quickly.

- Use your own and your staff experience - you are the source of best FAQ's. Each new customer question is a new possibility to fill in additions there.

- Delegate the KB articles to one person - having different writing styles can only confuse people so keep it tidy and well-structured.

- Use your own KB section - there are softwares, like WHMCS, that offer in-built KB with many articles. Even though you can modify them as per your needs, still the user is navigated away from your site in order to reach the KB section. That turns attention away from your main site and the services advertised there.

- Include screenshots when possible - even if you make good, step-by-step explanations, sometimes its faster for the client to just see for themselves what is required. A simple screenshot can minimize the time required to perform a certain action.

Hope those are helpful
    www.WebHostFace.com where Service always comes with a smiling face!
    Contact us for Shared, VPS, Reseller and Dedicated Hosting Solutions.

if you buy them, you will have a google penalty for duplicate content because the same texts will be on a lot of sites

When your customers ask you about something, and you don't have any information on that topic on your website, then write a knowledgebase post on it. Research on topics that people want to read about hosting and write unique posts on them. You don't have to add 10-12 posts in a month for the knowledgebae, focus on creating and publishing 3-4 authentic ones for best results.
    █ MilesWeb.com - Your Hosting, Our Responsibility!
    cPanel Hosting | Reseller Hosting | WordPress Hosting: SSD Storage & One-click Staging
    VPS Hosting - Managed & Unmanaged KVM & OpenVZ VPS | VPS Reseller
    █ Hosting Servers in [India | UK | US | Romania] - 24/7 Support | Instant Setup | Data Migration

You should fill your knowledgebase as you recieve questions, if you think the question asked will be a regular one it would make sense to add that to your knowledgebase.

A well put together KB/FAQ can be very beneficial. When searching for technical queries on Google and such, you'll often find WHMCS KB articles. Takes time to build up something decent. I prefer to make my own articles, rather than use premise ones.

You're going to want to provide information pertaining the specific packages you provide. If you provide shared hosting for example, you can make an article that includes your nameservers.

As you close more support tickets, depending on the frequency of the issue you should create an article for that issue.