Where do you create your websites? in Windows or in a Mac?

Was planning to buy a Mac,
    then this question ran over to my mind.

Can i use my sites files from windows inside my mac?
    Are there any differences creating a site in windows and creating another in a macintosh platform?
    I recall most webhosting companies are running Linux.
    So, does it matter if you use Windows or Mac?

Thx in advance
    :]

I personally use software on linux & windows for my development. You can use a mac, but I don't see the point. Macs are quite expensive for what you get. for the price of the imac lowend hardware you can build yourself quite a nice high end computer.

Re: Where do you create your websites? in Windows or in a Mac?

I sometimes code on Linux and sometimes on Windows. The files (HTML, CSS etc.) coded on those operating systems will work just as well on a Mac too. It doesn't matter which OS you use to create for example a HTML document. You can upload it to both Linux and Windows servers and it will work.

I use windows to program websites. Typically sites are programmed through a notepad type application, so a website programmed in windows could easily be continued to be worked upon on a mac. (with some conversion depending on IDE) This is similar to java.

I'm using Mac, but it doesn't really matter. You can get IDEs and programmer's code editors for any operating system. If you need Adobe's CS/CC like I do you're probably limited to Win/Mac.

Version control lives on the server, and I've not bothered to use local development sites lately.

We do all our website development in Eclipse with PDT.

There are plugins for git/svn that help with version control.

Eclipse will work in Windows/Apple/Linux.

David Man
    www.openitc.co.uk - We create, we host, we connect - Fully Managed VPS & Dedicated Hosting
    www.direvps.com - When nothing but price matters! - Brutal marketing for a brutal market!

I was tempted to call you a major noob for asking this. However I'll play the role of Google and say that : all website files are OS agnostic.

When it comes to companies most use Windows with some design-only companies being Mac fanatics. A Windows terminal can use IDEs from both Adobe and Microsoft giving it an edge when it comes to coding. The open source IDEs like Eclipse can work on most OSes out there. Given the fact that a PC can run both Windows and Linux I say go ahead and buy a good PC.You'll also have the advantage of easy hardware upgrades.

For the OS go with Windows 8.1 - pretty much every dev I know uses it. I only know 3 Mac only devs and they're not exactly what you would call "Top Gun".

I develop my sites on Windows, with NetBeans. But my designers use Mac for design solutions.
    If you need a web developer from Serbia - check: Web design Belgrade
    And check my page for SEO optimisation: SEO Belgrade

It doesn't really matter what your pc or its OS will be, the programing language you use is all that matters.

I use Windows.

I use windows with any webdevelopment platform like Wampserver / XAMPP.
    If your website design files are in PSD / HTML / CSS / Javascript, it is independent of OS. PSD needs Photoshoop, and HTML / JS / CSS just need a browser.

If you do webdesign in PHP / mysql, you will need to install a development platform like XAMPP (available for windows / mac / linux)
    http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html
    YagHost - Pure SSD Hosting | Since 2007 | Average Response Time: 15 min
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Managed VPS Hosting
    99.9% Server Uptime Guarantee | 24/7 Rapid Response Tech Support | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    LopHost.com - Web Hosting Tutorials

I use windows and linux but you can use anything you like. The code will be the same no matter what you use. Lots of web developers use mac.
    Ez Web Hosting providing excellent service since 2000
    Expert Wordpress Hosting & Support
    Web Hosting, ASP Hosting
    VPrivate Servers, VDedicated Servers

Quote Originally Posted by milos87popovic View Post
    I develop my sites on Windows, with NetBeans.
    Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by webson View Post

Was planning to buy a Mac,
    then this question ran over to my mind.

Can i use my sites files from windows inside my mac?
    Are there any differences creating a site in windows and creating another in a macintosh platform?
    I recall most webhosting companies are running Linux.
    So, does it matter if you use Windows or Mac?

Thx in advance
    :]
    Yes you can use Windows site files on a Mac or Linux for that matter. Copy them over in whatever application you use to manage the site (I like Coda 2, Taco HTML, and TextWrangler). Coda 2 and Taco HTML base sites on a starting location folder. I have sites (the same files) setup in both apps (on top of each other, no issues). So I use Coda 2 mostly for managing files and writing pages. But Taco has a few nice Components in their Component Library (a must for image maps), that I use to save time occasionally. I've had TextWrangler for ages and still use it sometimes. I've never been a fan of DreamWeaver, so I use other tools that I like. But occasionally I open up the monster (DW) and I have used DW files from windows DW sites, just fine.

Programming, designing and working on a Mac is a joy! It never, I mean never, crashes. The tools are well engineered and it is a pleasure to work. When I'm forced to work on Windows I get no joy and scream at the machine.

Uploading files to linux environment is the same from either Windows or Mac. Modern apps take care of any transfer protocol encoding issues. But you do have to occasionally know the difference in binary and text file types. To make things happy never, ever us an app like MS Word to edit files. That is when you get into trouble.

I also use Photoshop, Illustrator and Acrobat Pro, all work better on my mac than windows. Color pickers are better, images seem to render better, the interface is sleeker and takes less screen space in Mac versions of those three.

Mac costs more and if I where not only a designer but just a programmer I might not be using the mac. But there isn't anything my mac's don't do.

It doesn't really matter if you're using Windows or MAC. However, I prefer MAC.

also using Windows. In Europe Mac isn't very common...

Re: Where do you create your websites? in Windows or in a Mac?

I create website in Aptana Studio 3 and I've done that on Windows Mac and Linux. These days web development is OS independent.

If you're planning on using Photoshop because you're also a designer, get a mac. Photoshop is optimized better for Mac.
    WebHosting should be easy, it should just work.
    Durb.co Web Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by gdamalena View Post
    In Europe Mac isn't very common...
    Not really.

I agree with kenwebdesign but I prefer Windows. Both platforms work but Windows is less expensive.

I use Windows with dreamweaver & photoshop

Quote Originally Posted by gdamalena View Post
    In Europe Mac isn't very common...
    I live in Europe, and I'd say Mac is quite common. Maybe it's not common in every European country, or every part of this particular European country...

Using Mac with Coda and the development of sites is fast and convenient. And of course Photoshop for editing photos and graphics.
    Last edited by NetworkPanda; 10-30-2013 at 11:01 PM.
    Network Panda :: Web Hosting SSD Powered :: Reseller Hosting
    Instant activation, fast servers, SSD disks, cPanel, Softaculous 1-click apps installer, daily backups, SSL certificates
    Multiple hosting locations: USA, Canada, France, UK, Germany, Italy, Spain, Poland, Finland

windows

I personally use window when I develop a site, because it is very user friendly and I am used to the platform already.

I have two websites and got different types of OS. SO I have experienced both Windows and Mac.

<<signatures to be set up in your profile>>
    Last edited by bear; 10-31-2013 at 09:05 AM.