Becoming Accredited

Hi!~

I'm planning to try to apply for an ICANN accreditation.

To save some time - I know the costs involved and I'm capable of meeting those needs. I'm also capable of meeting the technical requirements. Also - I have considered the other alternatives such as becoming a reseller. They don't work for me.

I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with it that they can share.

Thanks.

What do you want to know?

If you have any experience with it, any details would be helpful.

Tips on what I should/shouldn't include with the application.

I read somewhere there was a very specific insurance policy that you need - would the standard business liability insurance from somewhere like Geico work?

Any recommended consultants? I'd go with logicboxes but I'm not interested in being locked into using using their order system.

etc.

I looked into this and decided against it however there is a consulting company that has worked with firms like HostGator that you may want to check out. It's called LogicBoxes.

I was looking at that, but seemed like they were more interested in clients who after accreditation would be using their system to process/manage orders, so not sure I'd be someone of particular interest to them.

Quote Originally Posted by derp View Post
    If you have any experience with it, any details would be helpful.

Tips on what I should/shouldn't include with the application.
    Include everything that is asked for on the application and be ready to answer additional questions via email. Right now there are some standard questions ICANN seems to ask every applicant, not sure why they are not putting those on the form, too.

The things to include beyond the form are:

• Applicant fee payment
    • Proof of $70,000 working capital (i.e. letter from the bank or the like)
    • Copy of general commercial insurance policy

You can expect the process to take about 2-3 months - it can be done faster, but at this point in time it seems ICANN is processing a number of them and the team working on them is quite small.

Once they start working on your accreditation they will most likely ask about the proposed registration agreement for your customers along with some questions regarding the technical answers given.

Once this process is done (expect some back and forth, even if you have gone through this before), they will start on the background ("due diligence") check, which can take quite a while.

I read somewhere there was a very specific insurance policy that you need - would the standard business liability insurance from somewhere like Geico work?
    For US Entities I usually work with The Hartford. It will have to be a "general commercial liability" insurance. And as already pointed out by Logicboxes in another thread, the registries have their own requirements for this one too.

Any recommended consultants? I'd go with logicboxes but I'm not interested in being locked into using using their order system.

etc.
    Can't really comment on that, I haven't worked with too many of the others.
    DomainCocoon provides technical, development & ICANN accreditation consulting to domain portfolio managers, hosting companies, registrars and resellers.

Thanks for the replies!

I have the capital they're looking for, but does it have to be in the bank account of the applying entity, or could I prove I have it either in my personal assets or in the assets of another entity I own and that it'd be transferred in the case that it is needed? For various reasons I don't want to transfer that capital until it's actually needed. This way, I prove that if I need, I have the money to transfer at a moment's notice.

Also, could you give me examples of things that would delay it, or if anyone can, PM me with your Skype and I'll send a copy of my application and you can give me suggestions? I know it isn't possible to submit the perfect application but I want to minimize the time as much as possible.

Thanks,
    derp

I have the capital they're looking for, but does it have to be in the bank account of the applying entity, or could I prove I have it either in my personal assets or in the assets of another entity I own and that it'd be transferred in the case that it is needed? For various reasons I don't want to transfer that capital until it's actually needed. This way, I prove that if I need, I have the money to transfer at a moment's notice.
    Usually ICANN expects the capital to be available in the name of the entity of the registrar, in order to ensure that it is available there. That being said, I have seen them accept capital that was available to an owner (instead of the company) at least once.

Also, could you give me examples of things that would delay it, or if anyone can, PM me with your Skype and I'll send a copy of my application and you can give me suggestions? I know it isn't possible to submit the perfect application but I want to minimize the time as much as possible.
    I'll send you a PM, but it's hard to provide a list of potential pitfalls/delays without seeing the application.

/FM
    DomainCocoon provides technical, development & ICANN accreditation consulting to domain portfolio managers, hosting companies, registrars and resellers.