Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down Do NOT get a VPS from gigihost / bytesrack

Just a friendly warning to anybody out there interested in getting a VPS:

Do NOT waste your money on a VPS from gigihost (or bytesrack, same company). They offer incredible specs (500GB SSD, 6GB memory, 2CPU for 18.95), I read various bad reviews about it, but for the heck of it, gave it a try. Worst that could happen was that I would lose 19 dollars on something crap.

Boy oh boy was I wrong.

Where on a knownhosts.com RAID10 VPS, a simple dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync test gave me 784MB/sec, the gigihost VPS gave 44MB/sec.

dd if=test of=/dev/null bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync on the knownhosts.com VPS gave me 4.9GB/sec, the same test on the gigihost server gave me 32MB/sec (I am not kidding)

The server took 2 days to be delivered, though it took another 2 days for them to give me access to the control panel where I could reinstall (by default it came with CentOS 6.2, I needed 6.4), so the first two days were wasted.

Then after the fourth day, for about 1,5 days I had a 4kbps SSH transfer to any server I tried.

Then after about a week and a half, gigihost.com was gone. server too.. and with gone, I mean that the gigihost.com domain had expired.. And my server, with that, was also gone for about 5 days or so.. There you go with your 99.99% uptime (I'm laughing as I write this). They VPS control panel was still up though! Not that it did me any good, server was gone..

I've tried to contact gigihost, to no avail, I tried to get my money back through paypal, but since this is about a non-tangible product, they wont return my money.

Then I just forgot about the entire thing, until I just now got an email from gigihost.com, reminding me that I had to renew the VPS! ofcourse, why not, no?

So I went to check the server, to see if it was still there, and if so, I would at least remove all my data from it and to my surprise.. my server was no longer my server.. the root account was no longer accessible, my root SSH key no longer valid, and the password was changed as well.. Up[on entering on my own user name account, I found changes on the server. My files were suddenly all under the root user, meaning that they accessed and modified the server without my consent.

Don't get me wrong, I am not ranting, I knew it would be crap for that amount of money, I know my money is gone, and I don't care about that, its an experiment, and I lost. But its that last bit where they actually modified server contents what really got to me. That really crosses all borders, you stay with your hands off rented servers, unless asked.

So anybody who is looking to rent a cheap VPS, gigihost (and with it, bytesrack) is NOT the way to go. Seriously, don't, your information is NOT safe there

PayPal actually allows you to open dispute for services if I'm not mistaken.
    It doesn't have to be a tangible product.

^ As Xerixe said,

You can dispute the charge on PayPal, funds will be removed from company, and PayPal will review it as the dispute goes along. Most of the time, you'll get your money right away.

Well, immediately when my server was gone, I opened a dispute, and after gigihost.com appeared gone as well, and with no reply from their side, I escalated the dispute to a claim, but this is what paypal told me. They denied my claim, because its a non tangible product. As far as I can see, there is no way for me to object their decision, so what more could I do?

Do you have invoices recording what has happened? Screenshots of tickets, chats with gigihost? If so, show these to PayPal as proof. Other than that, I'm not sure what else you can tell them.

Quote Originally Posted by newPhoenixz View Post
    500GB SSD, 6GB memory, 2CPU for 18.95
    Were you exaggerating here?
    That kind of offer isn't even believable.

Edit: Checked, not SSD, Phew!

Quote Originally Posted by iexo View Post
    Were you exaggerating here?
    That kind of offer isn't even believable.

Edit: Checked, not SSD, Phew!
    It could be SSD Cached though.

Correct, my bad, NOT SSD, mixed that up with another VPS I'm having. Can't seem to edit the original post to fix this though..

SSD or not, they do offer pretty much too-good-to-be-true specs for the money, and the VPS was pretty awful (HD speeds were so low it was nearly unworkable)

But ignore the HW issues, ignore that the server was gone for days... Last time I checked on the server, I could still not delete my files because they took the root account, chown root those files, and removed my user from the sudoers list. that is just unacceptable.

Dear Client

We got a DDoS attack in last week. Now 90 % recovered and our network is up and running smoothly.

Please open a ticket and PM me your ticket ID. we will issue a full refund for you. We apologizing for the inconvenience.

I cannot PM yet, I have created the ticket, and I've sent the ticket # to support@gigihost.com and support@bytesrack.com

Thanks. We will issue a full refund within another 24- 48 hours time. If you don't have a backup please take a backup asap.

Thanks.

I cannot PM yet, I have created the ticket, and I've sent the ticket # to support@gigihost.com and support@bytesrack.com

That's a great resolution.

Next time, do much more research before deciding on a hosting provider. I would recommend NameCheap for a quality / fast Reseller or VPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruler Analytics View Post
    That's a great resolution.
    Yeah, it would be if it were actually true.. I sent the mail, which was promptly replied.. that was 3 days ago, and so far no refund and no other replies from them to my mails...

And yeah, I knew it was a big gamble to take, lets just say that I've payed 19 dollars to be able to warn all of you not to do business with Gigihost or Bytesrack..

Yeah, it would be if it were actually true.. I sent the mail, which was promptly replied.. that was 3 days ago, and so far no refund and no other replies from them to my mails...

And yeah, I knew it was a big gamble to take, lets just say that I've payed 19 dollars to be able to warn all of you not to do business with Gigihost or Bytesrack..
    Good on you for following up here on WebHostingTalk.com

I've seen a few host show a nice public face on the forums. Very polite. Very professional. Clear communication. But off the forums.... Dear God....

So it's good when someone brings this to light and does not just leave this out there.

▲ ▲

WoltLab Dev

While this review sounds interesting, I would like to know why your host took over your vps, when your account was still active and upto date. Or did they take over your VPS after you defaulted on your payement.

Please give some clarification on that.

other than that, I'm glad you might get a refund.

I had payed for 1 month. The access to my VPS was given to me 3 days after it was already available (thereby causing me to lose 3 days already) After 2 weeks my VPS disappeared. the gigihost.com site (and bytesrack.com site) was gone as well, nobody replied to emails, the domain gigihost.com had expired even..

This was when I made a paypal claim that was denied later because the product was intangible.. Still checking what I can do with that. I considered the server a total loss, but then after about 3-5 days, I got a mail from gigihost.com again, requesting the payment for the next month.

I told them that I would not renew. Being curious, I immediately checked if the server was there and lo and behold, it was! Only, my root account had a different password, and no longer my SSH keys..

My own account still worked, so I used that to get in. I tried sudo su -, which failed because my own user no longer was in the sudoers file... wtf.... Then I went to check the /var/www/ directory, which was owned before by apache user (I was a member of apache group), but now it was completely root:root, 0770 access permissions, so I could not remove my own data..

So there you go, my server had changes that I did not make myself,even though I was still well within the first month. Even if the month was over and I had not yet payed, that would NOT give them a blanket permission to just start making changes on my server!

So I've requested the guaranteed 30 days not good money back, which as you can see was also promised here on the forums, but so far, no luck.. I have had no other replies from this company to my emails, so I consider the offer to be a lie just to save face.

Would NOT recommend gigihost and bytesrack to anybody!!!

Thanks for making it clear,

So I guess now we would like the host to respond why they took over/modified your VPS without your consent or know abouts. I'm really shocked by this, that is like some stranger walking into your has and turn your tv off, then cut the power cord so you can't watch Sundays Night football game.

Anyways I wish you best of luck and I'm glad it was more of a experiment and not a production project,

Wish you best of luck =)

500GB RAID storage for $18 that nice deal
    Comcities.com| provide hosting solutions – Since 2002
    Icecast Hosting | Shoutcast Hosting | Mobile Streaming | Live TV Streaming | Live Radio Streaming
    CPanel Hosting Solutions | Dedicated Servers | Wowza Media Dedicated Servers | CDN Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by forumtalk View Post
    500GB RAID storage for $18 that nice deal
    Please show me the sarcasm sign...

Too bad about your experience with Gigihost. Cheers for posting issue, now I know PayPal may not cover webhosting with their buyer protection. If host still hasn't refunded your money, I hope you gather as much tangible evidence as you can then go back to PayPal and retry the dispute process.

Google has a cached page (Oct 12, 2013) which shows Gigihost.com had expired.

Quote Originally Posted by bukzrock View Post
    Thanks. We will issue a full refund within another 24- 48 hours time. If you don't have a backup please take a backup asap.

Thanks.
    Sounds like the customer has not been refunded.

Moved > VPS Hosting.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

Update: After some more angry emails, I got (conveniently at friday, 19:30) a mail that their billing department was closed, but I would surely get the refund monday... Since I still have not heard anything, I have send them another mail today, lets see what happens, I won't hold my breath..

Thumbs down

Well, I got promised a refund within 24 hours, 10 days and about 10 mails from them with "yes yes, asap, within 48 hours, we promise!!" have passed, and no refund yet..

In other words, nice try to publicly claim to give a refund to save face, but either you were lying, or you are to incompetent to actually press the "refund" button in paypal... Wonder which it is..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast