Liquidweb 12 month dedicated server review

Dear all,

I just proudly paid for my 12th month for my dedicated server from Liquidweb. I'll keep this straight to the point:

Pros:

• The best hosting company I have ever used (and I have been through quite a few!)
    • Zero network downtime. I've had downtime due to server crashing, load spikes and DDoS attacks, most of which have been dealt with fairly efficiently.
    • Amazing support, the support really is heroic. Guaranteed a response very quickly. If you tell an engineer to do something, they will have it done precisely to your needs. It's like having a team of employees and you're the boss, it's great. They just turn up with the goods. For example installing an SSL certificate and configuring apache, they will just take care of it for you.
    • Very good pricing - although Liquidweb aren't a cheap provider, for what you get for the amount you pay is a bargain. For the high level of service they offer, they are extremely competitive in the web hosting space.
    • They have an excellent range of added in services like real time backup, firewalls, DDoS protection & their Storm platform. They have me covered for my needs.
    • They recently included a free SSD for their dedicated server range, I was delighted they offered this for free to current customers too.
    • I've also had a free bandwidth upgrade in my time with them too. So they continue to be very competitive - I have no reason to move which is great.

Cons:

• They are excellent and keeping your hardware and network in tact, but some support techs are lacking linux administration skills, particularly diagnosing problems when they happen. For example, one time a tech diagnosed an issue due to a DDoS SYN flood attack, in fact it was just a large amount of genuine traffic hitting the server. I ordered DDoS protection based on what the tech found, then I later found that wasn't the issue. They were happy to cancel the DDoS protection, which I was grateful for.
    • They boast about their sonar monitoring system. It will detect when services go offline almost instantly, but be prepared for your server to be offline for about an hour before anyone does anything about it. And when they finally do, I get the feeling they don't fix the problem with urgency. I never rely on their sonar monitoring, I rely on my own monitoring and if my server goes down I open a ticket straight away. For this reason you cannot rely on Liquidweb to keep you up and running, you will need your own staff to be on the lookout 24/7 or be prepared to be woken up in the night or your holiday rudely interrupted because your server goes offline, just like I have been.

Overall I have a very happy Liquidweb customer and I have no reason to move, I just wish they would make more of an effort when my server goes down. I would always recommend Liquidweb over any company; amazing service for such a great price. I have had problems, but when they happen I get the feeling that Liquidweb actually care about their customers.

Go for it.

That's quite a nice review you have written, good to see they are doing a great job.
    Let's hope they treat you well for the upcoming 12 months and more
    www.InstantDedicated.com - Online in no time
    Dedicated Servers in [EU] Netherlands with DAILY support, also on weekends
    DDOS Protected network - 100% Money Back if it doesn't work for you
    Streaming / IPTV allowed | Up to 10 Gbit ports | 100% Network Uptime

Quote Originally Posted by UberTricep View Post
    • They boast about their sonar monitoring system. It will detect when services go offline almost instantly, but be prepared for your server to be offline for about an hour before anyone does anything about it. And when they finally do, I get the feeling they don't fix the problem with urgency. I never rely on their sonar monitoring, I rely on my own monitoring and if my server goes down I open a ticket straight away. For this reason you cannot rely on Liquidweb to keep you up and running, you will need your own staff to be on the lookout 24/7 or be prepared to be woken up in the night or your holiday rudely interrupted because your server goes offline, just like I have been.
    Sorry that I am gonna talk about another company in your thread, but I just feel I am totally agree with the above cons statement.
    I face similar issue with WiredTree previously when I moved my server from one server to another within WT itself. The downtime was caused by the support staff in the last step (something to do with MySQL), I put faith in them and went to sleep but my forum was made down for almost 12 hours, no one informed me (proactive monitoring wise). That was my worst experience with WT so far and I was so pissed with that staff who handled the last 10% of my migration. This staff is not my preferred staff because he/she always did something that pissed me off, not just this incident. Now when these companies (including 3rd party server management providers) promote their proactive monitoring, I doubt if they are really providing it. I subscribed my own monitoring services after that incident.

Quote Originally Posted by Shyuan View Post
    Sorry that I am gonna talk about another company in your thread, but I just feel I am totally agree with the above cons statement.
    I face similar issue with WiredTree previously when I moved my server from one server to another within WT itself. The downtime was caused by the support staff in the last step (something to do with MySQL), I put faith in them and went to sleep but my forum was made down for almost 12 hours, no one informed me (proactive monitoring wise). That was my worst experience with WT so far and I was so pissed with that staff who handled the last 10% of my migration. This staff is not my preferred staff because he/she always did something that pissed me off, not just this incident. Now when these companies (including 3rd party server management providers) promote their proactive monitoring, I doubt if they are really providing it. I subscribed my own monitoring services after that incident.
    Sorry to hear about your issue Shyuan! I think it is important to point out that service monitoring is not the same as content monitoring. They are similar, but different.

Our service monitoring is to ensure your services are up and running. For example it will detect if Apache is running or not. The monitoring is not designed to load a specific website on your server and then parse your site's code to see if it is returning the content you want. There is no way for the monitoring to know what should be displayed on your page, or even what page or domain you want checked (it checks the main IP of your server). We check if the service is up and running. If it is not, we proactively take action and do what is necessary to get the daemon running again.

I don't know the specifics of your situation (if you would like us to review it please PM me a ticket ID and we would be happy to), but it sounds like your services such as Apache and MySQL were running, however your forum was down because of some kind of configuration issue (PHP configuration, .htaccess, file permissions, or the like) and the content being returned was not what you expected (ie. there was some kind of error). While our technician should have caught that in a manual check after the migration (my apologies that they did not), our monitoring would not alert on this as the services themselves were up and running. You are correct in that if you require content monitoring then you need a 3rd party service. We do plan to offer a service like this in the future though.

Again, sorry to hear about the issue and confusion. Let me know if we can help in any way.
    Zac Cogswell
    WiredTree Fully Managed VPS and Dedicated Hosting | Average Helpdesk Response <15 Minutes, 24x7 Instant Phone Support
    Follow us on Twitter: @WiredTree | Like us on Facebook: facebook.com/WiredTree
    zac @ wiredtree.com | toll-free: 1.866.523.8733 local: +1.312.447.0510

It's okay Zac, it was a past. And while I posting, I started to think what were actually covered by your monitoring service and yes indeed you mentioned those. Anyway, I'll leave this alone since all well now. And again sorry to OP, will stop here.

Dear all,

I just proudly paid for my 12th month for my dedicated server from Liquidweb. I'll keep this straight to the point:

Pros:

• The best hosting company I have ever used (and I have been through quite a few!)
    • Zero network downtime. I've had downtime due to server crashing, load spikes and DDoS attacks, most of which have been dealt with fairly efficiently.
    • Amazing support, the support really is heroic. Guaranteed a response very quickly. If you tell an engineer to do something, they will have it done precisely to your needs. It's like having a team of employees and you're the boss, it's great. They just turn up with the goods. For example installing an SSL certificate and configuring apache, they will just take care of it for you.
    • Very good pricing - although Liquidweb aren't a cheap provider, for what you get for the amount you pay is a bargain. For the high level of service they offer, they are extremely competitive in the web hosting space.
    • They have an excellent range of added in services like real time backup, firewalls, DDoS protection & their Storm platform. They have me covered for my needs.
    • They recently included a free SSD for their dedicated server range, I was delighted they offered this for free to current customers too.
    • I've also had a free bandwidth upgrade in my time with them too. So they continue to be very competitive - I have no reason to move which is great.

Cons:

• They are excellent and keeping your hardware and network in tact, but some support techs are lacking linux administration skills, particularly diagnosing problems when they happen. For example, one time a tech diagnosed an issue due to a DDoS SYN flood attack, in fact it was just a large amount of genuine traffic hitting the server. I ordered DDoS protection based on what the tech found, then I later found that wasn't the issue. They were happy to cancel the DDoS protection, which I was grateful for.

Overall I have a very happy Liquidweb customer and I have no reason to move, I just wish they would make more of an effort when my server goes down. I would always recommend Liquidweb over any company; amazing service for such a great price. I have had problems, but when they happen I get the feeling that Liquidweb actually care about their customers.

Go for it.
    Do you have a fully managed server with them?

Quote Originally Posted by murphyslaw4267 View Post
    Do you have a fully managed server with them?
    from what the op wrote the answer is: Yes.

which dedicated plan do you have from LiquidWeb ?

As far as I see, they are offering 150$ : cPanel , Fully Managed, 2GB RAM Dedicated server plans.
    JetCloud Datacenter Pvt Ltd - Managed VPS / Dedicated Servers India
    AS134325 - Powered by JetSpot Networks
    Shared, Reseller, VPS, Dedicated Servers, Colocation
    Own Dedicated Network Backbone - Core (Juniper) Aggregation (Huawei) Access (Cisco)

Just wanted to pop in and mention that we appreciate the review and the obvious time you took to give some constructive feedback. We'll be using this as we look into ways to improve our service. Thanks again!

Dear all,

Pros:

Cons:

Go for it.