Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why wordpress is preferred over drupal?

Why wordpress is preferred over drupal? I see a lot of websites these days build over wordpress than drupal.

I use wordpress on my blog and other sites, Is there any specific advantage of using drupal.
      0 Not allowed!

Re: Why wordpress is preferred over drupal?

WordPress has a much easier learning curve than drupal, so it has more users. Drupal on the other hand is more extensible and secure than WordPress.
    www.wizardconcepts.com | High quality web design and development agency - India
    Drupal CMS based websites with included hosting & long term support | Awesome Value
      1 Not allowed!

In simple words..wordpress is simple and easy to manage than Drupal...but less secure and come up with less options..of course security depends on how you manage it..with a well maintained and updated wordpress, you will not hit much issues...user base and support - I guess wordpress has an upper hand in this.
      0 Not allowed!

Wordpress is 1000% better than Drupal because wordpress is user friendly and open source. You can find ton of best themes and plugins. Very very easy to use.
      0 Not allowed!

I rather use WP too, but Drupal is — in all fairness — also user friendly, and of course, also open source.

Regards,
    -k0nsl

Quote Originally Posted by Hosthexa View Post
    Wordpress is 1000% better than Drupal because wordpress is user friendly and open source. You can find ton of best themes and plugins. Very very easy to use.
    Follow me on Twitter: k0nsl.
      0 Not allowed!

drupal wastes your time and you loose hair
    wordpress doesn't
      0 Not allowed!

WordPress is more preferred because of the developer community. There are more developers making add-ons and scripts/templates for Wordpress. Drupal has a good following as well but nothing as big.
    My Site : Chi Chi's Floral [Under Construction - Link Coming Soon!]

Hosted by: Myhosting.com - 10 months and counting!
      0 Not allowed!

I use both. Drupal is better-coded (particularly the user-contributed modules), more secure, more advanced, more versatile. Wordpress is easier to use, to the point where you can even give editor access to people who can barely use a computer. Horses for courses.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter
      0 Not allowed!

wordpress simple and beautiful. open source and easy for bloging alot of free plug & theme
      0 Not allowed!

I'd pick WP over Drupal too! WP is easy,no doubt about it.
      0 Not allowed!

WP is preferred because :

- Everyone heard of it
    - Bigger community so more devs to code stuff for it
    - Easier to use
    - Every snake-oil selling "Internet Marketer" uses it and preaches about it
    - Drupal is great if you're a coder otherwise you don't have the skills to really use it
      0 Not allowed!

Wordpress was once a blogging platform. Now it has become a website builder due to the easy customization availability on the platform.

Therefore wp is the most preferred.
      0 Not allowed!

I use both, for different purposes. Wordpress for your website, Drupal for our customer portal.
      0 Not allowed!

WordPress is probably still easier to start with, although Drupal is taking steps to this direction.

Community is one thing. Brand recognition is another - it's just mind boggling that your average customer might actually request a certain CMS. Then there's the huge ecosystem with marketplaces, vendors, premium plugins, etc. Hosts have to support the most common LAMP CMS. All of these make it easier to build sites using WordPress.

However, Drupal is on my list of things to (re-)try when I have the time. I appreciate the way Drupal devs are running their show.
      0 Not allowed!

I have some extremely technologically incompetent friends who have built good looking and popular blogs with Wordpress. It's definitely very user friendly. Of those who tried Drupal, they didn't get very far before giving up and returning to Wordpress.
    ▄▀▄ Brian Harrison, Lead Engineer - Reprise Hosting (AS62838)
    ▄▀▄ Deals on cheap dedicated server hosting. IPMI included! Unmetered bandwidth.
    ▄▀▄ Website migration, 24/7/365 support, basic server setup, 15 day money back.
    ▄▀▄ Looking for DEALS on self-managed cheap VPS hosting? Visit VPSHostingDEAL.com
      0 Not allowed!

WordPress easy to use Easy to customize means user friendly.
    Drupal is not easy to use design or development.

WordPress Cannot load too much database.it,s some time crash.its create for blogger.
    Drupal for advanced and versatile sites; for sites that require complex data organization; for community platform sites with multiple users; for online stores
    Domain Good - Hosting websites since 2007!
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting and Dedicated Servers
    cPanel | Softaculous | 99.9% Uptime | 24/7 Support | US & EU Server!
    Follow us on Twitter @domaingood | Facebook @domaingood | Google+ @domaingood
      0 Not allowed!

I would like to list a few WordPress advantages, instead of comparing the 2 applications, as the core of the query is in fact "In what aspects Wordpress is better?":

- Ease of use
    - Short learning curve
    - User Friendly
    - Great SEO capabilities
    - Loads of free plugins and themes
    - Often updated and worked upon
    - Easy customization

Those are a few more important, from the top of my mind. All in all - if you are a novice user, looking to create and style your web project with minimum efforts and cost - go for WordPress!
    www.WebHostFace.com where Service always comes with a smiling face!
    Contact us for Shared, VPS, Reseller and Dedicated Hosting Solutions.
      0 Not allowed!

Probably a good summary to read along with the comparison:

https://www.udemy.com/blog/drupal-vs...-vs-wordpress/
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by sufia View Post
    WordPress Cannot load too much database.it,s some time crash.its create for blogger.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "cannot load much database". You can use custom post types and meta fields to create new data and document structures like in any other CMS. WordPress was originally created for blogging, but that doesn't mean anything today.

If your site is crashing, you should see if the underlying server has problems or insufficient resources.

Quote Originally Posted by actsupport
    Probably a good summary to read along with the comparison:
    The pros and cons are randomly chosen, and I'm not impressed with the conclusions. WordPress doesn't have ACL at all, but the author is complaining about Joomla's features. Saying that WordPress has "limited design options" is just missing the point of a templating system, but it's also nonsensical given the amount of themes you can easily download. Especially the conclusion on WordPress is weak, and shows quite severe lack of knowledge on the system.

So yeah, it's pretty much like your average forum discussion.

I'm not saying that writing a better comparison is easy. I wouldn't be able to get past superficial feature lists and gut feelings, because I'm not an expert on Joomla and Drupal. Very few people are pros in several content management systems.
      0 Not allowed!

For sure WP is more popular - everyone can start building a site or a blog from a scratch. Regarding drupal - it requires some basic skills to use it, WP doesn't.
      0 Not allowed!

Wordpress is easier to get started with, however in my very subjective opinion, Wordpress is it's own worst enemy as it's a real consumer of server resources. So for any huge traffic website I would look for alternatives, otherwise you may need to spend more money for hosting plan or better VPS.
      0 Not allowed!

Why wordpress is preferred over drupal?

I found WordPress easier to theme for but do agree that larger sites do use a lot of system resources.
    Shapiro Web Design
    shapirowebdesign.com
    affordable custom websites
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by 5freehosting View Post
    Wordpress is easier to get started with, however in my very subjective opinion, Wordpress is it's own worst enemy as it's a real consumer of server resources. So for any huge traffic website I would look for alternatives, otherwise you may need to spend more money for hosting plan or better VPS.
    I've not done any speed comparisons, and not seen any good ones, but modern content management systems tend to have a ton of code and run insane amount of queries. It's not just WordPress, although badly coded plugins and themes don't help.

If your site has huge traffic and PHP-based scripts it's likely that the average shared hosting package isn't a good fit in any case.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexBR1974
    Joomla is the real deal.
    Why? I'd like to hear what you like about it.
      0 Not allowed!

Wordpress is popular because it's simple. It does one thing, and one thing only. Programmers hate it because it's garbage under the hood, but programmers don't decide what's popular.

Joomla and Drupal are not simple. They do everything, and they do most of it exceptionally well. Casual webmasters hate them because they have learning curves.

Casual webmasters, and anyone who thinks that every problem should have an easy push-button answer, and also a never-ending army of paid shills clogging forums with praises sung in broken English, have made Wordpress as popular as it is today. Somehow.

McDonald's: it's bad for you, but a huge fraction of consumers see themselves as disposable, and so they steadfastly refuse to care about what they consume.

Wordpress is the McDonald's of the CMS world.
      0 Not allowed!

Wordpress started out as purely a system for blogs and that is where its strengths are.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by NathanHawks View Post
    Wordpress is the McDonald's of the CMS world.
    Another pointless comparison of nothing in particular. I guess we all know the commonly held views and misconceptions of these systems already?

"Programmers" who hate something because it's "garbage under hood" are the same people who end up coding their own system, and dropping support for it the week after they're done with coding. They usually don't actually know if the system and the current version is garbage, but have heard from a friend that someone said so five years ago.

I've seen devs who didn't want to learn good WordPress development practices, did a very poor job with a site, and still thought it was the system's fault.

WordPress is not a development platform, but you can indeed build very much with WordPress. Custom post types and custom fields are the starting level, kindergarden stuff. Check out plugin development, theme frameworks, and hooks for getting beyond the beginner level.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanHawks
    and also a never-ending army of paid shills clogging forums
    You need to prove that, otherwise it's just a conspiracy theory. If something is commonly used, that doesn't mean the users are shills paid by someone. Also, I've met Automattic staff and I very much doubt they have time for this kind of stuff. They've got WordPress.com to run, you know.

WordPress is fairly easy to use, and inexperienced people are using it. That's democratizing the web publishing, and there's no way I can see that as a bad thing.
    Last edited by nettiapina; 10-19-2013 at 01:51 AM. Reason: Wont let that "paid shills" slide.
      1 Not allowed!

Wordpress is much easier to learn. and so light and easy to manage.. Also it can be really customize. I love it
    RouterHosting
    Cheap Windows VPS | Linux VPS | Dedicated Servers Within Your budget
    Accept Credit Cards, PayPal, Payza, PerfectMoney, Moneybookers, BitCoin and ....
    Instant Windows and Linux VPS Activation
      0 Not allowed!

It has the biggest audience, remember the one with the most attracts the most.
      0 Not allowed!

I tried using Drupal in the past, I gave up. It's not very user friendly. I am a WP lover anyway.
      0 Not allowed!

30. Quote Originally Posted by Hosthexa View Post
    I have experience of using wordpress and it was a very disapponiting experience.I only have issue with the less security because its an open source ,so the chances of being hacked is very much high.All my efforts got wasted whenever my website was hacked.
      0 Not allowed!

wordpress comparing drupal is link and ant comparing elephant Drupal can do much for you
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Rupert Torbus View Post
    I have experience of using wordpress and it was a very disapponiting experience.I only have issue with the less security because its an open source ,so the chances of being hacked is very much high.All my efforts got wasted whenever my website was hacked.
    Indeed the biggest issue of WordPress is and always has been Security. However its not so hard to overcome.

Using proper security plugins and always keeping your WP updated to the latest stable version is the least you can do for starters. Outdated plugins is the most common security breach for your website so don't leave your front doors open Avoid most WP free themes as they are very hack-prone and can be costly in the end. For internal security you need to make sure you have complex enough passwords, change your WP admin username and for further security you can remove the author name from the post URLs (done from the WP dashboard). Limiting login attempts will further enhance the protection against attacks...

So as you can see, WP may be insecure but there is much to be done about it and you can accomplish the desired "hack-free" status
    www.WebHostFace.com where Service always comes with a smiling face!
    Contact us for Shared, VPS, Reseller and Dedicated Hosting Solutions.
      0 Not allowed!

I have a different approach, i agree that WordPress is more easy to learn and that Drupal is much more programmer oriented. Joomla is also a really strong CMS.... so use what you know better.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by bops View Post
    WordPress has a much easier learning curve than drupal, so it has more users. Drupal on the other hand is more extensible and secure than WordPress.
    Indeed, the learning curve for Drupal Is much larger than that of WordPress. I'd still argue that Drupal is a much better CMS for expandability. However the simplicity and usability that WordPress offers is unmatched, and is the biggest reason it's favored over Drupal.

Also, WordPress has many more templates available and thus gives a much broader range of choice.
    DUPLEX HOSTING ^TimD
    | UK BASED HOSTING
    █ | Shared | Reseller | VPS | Dedicated | Colocation
    | cPanel | Cloud Linux | LiteSpeed | Cloudflare Partner | Softaculous |
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Rupert Torbus View Post
    A system is not less secure because it's open source. Actually it may be the opposite: more eyes have seen the code, and everyone can improve it. It's all about the security approach, and that hasn't been strong with WordPress.

Sure, it's annoying to revert back to known good backup, but it's not like all of your efforts can be wasted in a single hack. If that's indeed the case, you're doing it wrong. You need to check the code you've installed, and seriously think about security and backups.
      0 Not allowed!

I prefer joomla. It is a little more dificult than wordpress, but also is better. Joomla wins!
      0 Not allowed!

WordPress is very easy to use even for first timers. That is why.
    Drupal and Joomla's interfaces are somewhat more intimidating.
      0 Not allowed!

Intuative

Wordpress is much more intuiative in design usability, better SEO optimized etc.Plus its much bigger than Drupal, meaning more plugins and themes, especially free ones.
      0 Not allowed!

I prefer joomla because its administration panel is very complete. Besides of this, here another reason: the extension directory. This directory is very clean, friendly, and many extensions are awesome. The directory itself is made with a Mosest Tree, a joomla extension.

http://extensions.joomla.org/
      0 Not allowed!

I prefer Wordpress.

Most of the sites I make for clients need to be intuitive, so that they can update them themselves. Plus, the huge user-base means that virtually every problem has a solution, and the sheer amount of plugins makes it an easy pick for me. As for the security aspect, there's a plugin for that.

I tried Joomla a couple of times, but did not like it at all. Way too complex. To make a menu, I think it was like 4 steps. Drove me nuts.

I never did try Drupal. Maybe I should give it a go, just to check it out.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast