Post Starting an Cloud Business?

Hello,

I have experience running various web hosting aspects of a business. (Such as VPS, Reseller, Shared hosting, and Dedicated servers.)

However, I am new to cloud computing. I am wanting to start off in the market and offer something unique. I don't know what it is yet, but I have to figure out what I'd need in the first place to do this.

What type of software (both front end and back end..), and hardware would you need to start off? And would it be easy to add nodes to a cloud to expand it?

I want to provide a reliable service that people will enjoy using. Something someone would feel they got a great value from.

What extras do people typically include in hosting nowadays? Back when I ran a hosting service, we included free domain with certain packages, etc. I'm starting to see "free month of service" and "upgraded <such and such> for no cost" and stuff.

Any ideas would help, I just want people's opinion and would like to see if it's worth considering the Cloud business.
    Arcanum Services LLC
    "ServerHand" VPS - Dedicated Servers - cPanel Shared Hosting
    Datacenters in NYC & Orlando.

You could use Openstack or OnApp, and for cloud hosting, I would recommend multiple servers, and ideally multiple DC's.

Does the hardware have to be the same? Also, is OnApp & Openstack the backend? Also, you can create a VPS on a cloud environment, right?
    Arcanum Services LLC
    "ServerHand" VPS - Dedicated Servers - cPanel Shared Hosting
    Datacenters in NYC & Orlando.

1. Ideally they should be the same.
    2. OnApp, Openstack, etc are like solusVM, but has cloud technologies built in.
    3. Yes I think so.

5. OnApp is the best option to go with for cloud services.

Onapp is a good choice. Cloud just means redundant from the backend (failover / high availability), it's standard KVM or XEN VPS on the front-end.

Quote Originally Posted by Escaped View Post
    Does the hardware have to be the same? Also, is OnApp & Openstack the backend? Also, you can create a VPS on a cloud environment, right?
    || NetCloud ☁ True Cloud Servers ☁
    || OnApp Cloud ★ Enterprise HA SAN ★ GNAX Atlanta

Caroline Paine
    Commercial Operations Manager @ www.onapp.com
    Inquisitive Foodie @ www.inquisitivefoodie.com

There is no comparison between Onapp and Openstack. Openstack is a big cloud platform built and supported by most of the big guys in the internet industry, a massive project, but there is no way you can start with openstack without extensive customization to make it work for you as a cloud provider.

Onapp, is different player, with a clear target group, but I believe it still lacks in features in comparison to Openstack and especially VMWare.

Software wise, Onapp would be the easiest choice, just add a billing system that integrates with onapp, and you are good to go. Hardware wise, it all depends on your needs and of course your budget.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudm View Post
    There is no comparison between Onapp and Openstack. Openstack is a big cloud platform built and supported by most of the big guys in the internet industry, a massive project, but there is no way you can start with openstack without extensive customization to make it work for you as a cloud provider.

Onapp, is different player, with a clear target group, but I believe it still lacks in features in comparison to Openstack and especially VMWare.

Software wise, Onapp would be the easiest choice, just add a billing system that integrates with onapp, and you are good to go. Hardware wise, it all depends on your needs and of course your budget.
    I think you've just made a comparison

And actually we talk to a lot of companies who have tried openstack then moved to onapp. It's more common than you may think.
    Last edited by Caroline_9429; 10-17-2013 at 11:44 AM.
    Caroline Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline_9429 View Post
    I think you've just made a comparison

And actually we talk to a lot of companies who have tried openstack then moved to onapp. It's more common than you may think.
    Yep - following up on what Caroline said, there about 90 public openstack clouds out there. There's over 2,000 public OnApp installs -- some big, many small, but overall OnApp is aimed at the hosting industry and can be setup in just a few days with a relatively small budget.

Quote Originally Posted by IGobyTerry View Post
    Yep - following up on what Caroline said, there about 90 public openstack clouds out there. There's over 2,000 public OnApp installs -- some big, many small, but overall OnApp is aimed at the hosting industry and can be setup in just a few days with a relatively small budget.
    An Openstack Cloud can have X number of clusters, each cluster with X number of servers. This way, you can hook up different datacenters to a single cloud.

Onapp has installs? Can you have one public cloud/portal managing different installs?

A fair comparison would be the number of onapp cloud providers vs the number of clouds for openstack, since there is no advantage of having different separate openstack clouds.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudm View Post
    An Openstack Cloud can have X number of clusters, each cluster with X number of servers. This way, you can hook up different datacenters to a single cloud.

Onapp has installs? Can you have one public cloud/portal managing different installs?

A fair comparison would be the number of onapp cloud providers vs the number of clouds for openstack, since there is no advantage of having different separate openstack clouds.
    I think you'd still see more than 10 x the OnApp installs. However, if you did the math in number of VM's or cores. Or if you included private clouds, then the picture would be different.

Cloudstack would also have more installs in the service provider space than OpenStack.

D
    Ditlev Bredahl. CEO,
    OnApp.com & SolusVM.com + Cloud.net & CDN.net

Quote Originally Posted by eming View Post
    I think you'd still see more than 10 x the OnApp installs. However, if you did the math in number of VM's or cores. Or if you included private clouds, then the picture would be different.
    Exactly, the definition of install is too vague, and you haven't clarified (yet), so we can make a fair comparison between both

Quote Originally Posted by eming View Post
    Cloudstack would also have more installs in the service provider space than OpenStack.
    Openstack is used by Rackspace, Redhat, IBM, Comcast, Internap, Akamai, Equinix and many more providers both private/public.

To get started with OnApp you need something like this:

2 Hypervisors
    1 Control Server
    1 Backup Server or NAS for OnApp snapshots
    1 Backup Server or NAS for Backup System (like Ideara)
    1 SAN (or shared SAN space) OR
    2 Servers for OnApp Storage

Many data centers will build you a private cloud in an OnApp config and you are looking at about $2000-$3000/mo to start off.
    Laurence Flynn @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK™ ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

Quote Originally Posted by NexDog View Post
    To get started with OnApp you need something like this:

2 Hypervisors
    1 Control Server
    1 Backup Server or NAS for OnApp snapshots
    1 Backup Server or NAS for Backup System (like Ideara)
    1 SAN (or shared SAN space) OR
    2 Servers for OnApp Storage

Many data centers will build you a private cloud in an OnApp config and you are looking at about $2000-$3000/mo to start off.
    Just a quick note here - you do not need separate servers for OnApp Storage - it will utilise the HDDs on the Hypervisor servers. So in your example, you could quote for a SAN or perhaps more Hypervisor servers.

It’s a distributed block storage system using disks across the Hypervisor servers. Basically pooling your local storage into 1 area the creating logical volumes from there. But with all the high availability of a SAN.
    Caroline Paine

Ah yes, totally forgot. Thinking about adding OnApp storage in our next expansion phase. It's a shame we can't distribute across DAS arrays but at least SSD drives are getting bigger each year.

cloud hosting

Is there any free cloud hosting for database?

Starting an Cloud Business?

Quote Originally Posted by NexDog View Post
    Ah yes, totally forgot. Thinking about adding OnApp storage in our next expansion phase. It's a shame we can't distribute across DAS arrays but at least SSD drives are getting bigger each year.
    Depending on the Das there might be more mature options...
    dediserve www.dediserve.com
    Leading provider of enterprise SSD cloud platforms with 15 clouds in 3 regions
    Dublin, London, Amsterdam, Vienna, Frankfurt, New York, Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, Toronto, Singapore, Jakarta, Hong Kong, Sydney

I'm interested to hear those options.

What's the monthly cost for OnApp?

Have 2 new servers in my current data centre to use for cloud hosting.

$10/cloud/mo plus $10/core/mo is retail

Quote Originally Posted by bizwebasia View Post
    What's the monthly cost for OnApp?

Have 2 new servers in my current data centre to use for cloud hosting.
    || NetCloud ☁ True Cloud Servers ☁
    || OnApp Cloud ★ Enterprise HA SAN ★ GNAX Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by NetCloud View Post
    $10/cloud/mo plus $10/core/mo is retail
    They imposed a $500 minimum a few months ago. I'm sure you can work something out
    Andrew Wataszko - [email protected]
    Quartet Service Inc
    Cloud Services | Support Services | Technology Management Programs

Starting an Cloud Business?

Openstack takes some serious configuration and know how to setup. While it is highly customizable it isn't worth the time for a small scale deployment.
    www.twojacksoneport.com
    Managed Dedicated Servers
    HA VPS servers
    24x7 Support

You can try out cloudstack. http://cloudstack.apache.org/

2 hypervisors +
    1 management / NFS server

You can then start out and try it out.

Comes with a full nice gui and complete api's
    Experienced OpenStack Admin For Hire
    regular as admin0 on freenode IRC on #openstack and #openstack-ansible channels

Sounds like a custom private cloud deployment may be a good fit. I would get quoted by a few data center providers for a private cloud and compare the annual cost to setting up your own.

Given the provider's expertise, and how competitive cloud pricing has become, it could be a better choice to just get a private cloud deployment for the first year, while you learn and practice building your own cloud. It'd def be faster to have a provider do it.
    InfoRelay Online Systems, Inc.
    Colocation | Cloud | Data Centers | Bandwidth | Managed Services
    New York / Northern Virginia / Chicago / Dallas / Miami / Los Angeles / San Jose
    www.InfoRelay.com/Services/Data-Centers

You might also give a try to StackOps. You will get almost all features than with OpenStack, but the managment will be much easiert than just OpenStack alone.

It sounds like you are not sure about this, I would recommend researching onapp/openstack, and looking for quotes from datacenters to build you a cloud. If the business doesn't go to plan, you just have your monthly rolling fees to cancel. Whereas with your own hardware/rackspace you'll lose a lot on hardware/rackspace fees, tied into contracts. It is not something to jump into at all, you will also need an L3 sysadmin or sys/network engineer to setup/manage/maintain/monitor/fix if you go with your own hardware, otherwise it would be handled by the DC Techs.

Would definitely go with a pre-built cloud if I were you and move onto your own hardware when you are comfortable and have grown well.
    - Colin Dunn | Systems Administrator
    I think CentOS is a pretty cool guy. eh runs mah server and doesnt afraid of anything...
    ^ That sig/meme is so old, I just don't have the heart to change it. I hope the cool kids around still get it... 2008 was a good year!