Backup based control panels?

Ok, so the providers out there who have dedicated backup boxes, meant to sell shared, protected backup space to their dedicated/colocated users, etc.: What software are you guys running, how do you find it, etc?

Currently we have a few servers running the basics (RSYNC, SSH, FTP, etc.), however no panel for the users. I tossed up FreeNAS on a about to be provisioned backup box to see how it looked, but was disappointed when I realized the panel was admin only (when the admins should really have the least need for a panel).

Has anybody run across a free/cost effective solution that's geared specifically for file storage?

I know CPanel is pushing R1soft product, there's bacula4hosts, etc. but I haven't spotted anything that charges you per backup-host, as opposed to per connecting server (so the guy who just wants a 10GB account for his configs can have it, etc.).

Also, most of the software I ran across want to install agents on the source server, while I expect most customers would be happier having the data extracted without (IE: by remote SSH/RSYNC/etc.).

Suggestions?

Depending on your needs BackupPC may work.

Quote Originally Posted by JTY View Post
    Depending on your needs BackupPC may work.
    I couldn't spot it at a glance, but does it offer an end user type of panel? I'm trying to offer essentially a centralized/management portal for a few dozen users on a backup server.

It's got a limited end user panel. Basically allows a user to start/stop their backups, browse them, and restore from them. But, it doesn't have any way for the user to add new hosts, or remove existing ones.

all backup software that i know charge per connecting server,do you need cheaper software than r1soft?

Quote Originally Posted by JTY View Post
    It's got a limited end user panel. Basically allows a user to start/stop their backups, browse them, and restore from them. But, it doesn't have any way for the user to add new hosts, or remove existing ones.
    Ah darn, not quite enough. The users who buy backups aren't having them fully managed on our end, so the panel has to let 'em add hosts, specify files/intervals/methods/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuguhost View Post
    all backup software that i know charge per connecting server,do you need cheaper software than r1soft?
    Well looking at R1soft's page, and $1495 for a 5 server pack of "Backup Manager SE" (just the first backup product I seem to see there), if that's per connecting server, well then that price is ridiculous.

Their other page referring to "Server Backup Manager", boasts "Affordable—Variety of pricing options and payment plans starting at just $995*", but is that per backup repository server, or what?

[Note: I do notice there is a "free" version, but it appears for a single server, IE: customers might be able to use the free version?]. I assume I'm missing something obvious here?