Business name with "cloud"

Hi all, I was thinking of a business name with the word Cloud in it, how would that work out if you don't sell cloud space, but cloud also means internet as was described before? What thoughts have you on this?

Also using names with some tech spice such as Byte and IO?

Thanks.

The cloud thing seems deceptive if you're not offering cloud. Today it means a very specific thing in the hosting industry.

The others seem unoriginal to me.

Agreed with above. If you are going to use cloud in your name, you should probably offer cloud services.
    HostClearly.com
    HostClearly Web Hosting
    #WeAreYourBussinessPartner
    Shared, Reseller, and VPS Hosting since 2010!

It is fine as long as one wants to have the buzz word "Cloud" as a part of one's brand or company name. I don't like it.
    Host Color Cloud Servers & Dedicated Hosting & European Infrastructure Hosting
    U.S. Data center 90 miles from Chicago
    Network ★ AS46873 Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net, Midwest Peering
    24/7 Support 1-574-367-2393; Skype: HostColor

I guess cloud lost it's other meaning, removing it off the list.

Is it bad idea to incorporate tech terms such as "byte", "ram", "drive", "I/O". Because it implies you offer only that? I've seen companies use names like this where they were not in a niche, ex: volumedrive.

Where as generic names such as "host", "box", "server", "web" are more suitable?

You probably can't go wrong with any name considering the amount of hosts that just mash two words together that usually make no sense at all.
    * GeekStorage.com, LLC - Offering awesome website hosting for over 9 years!
    * Shared Hosting * Reseller Hosting * Pure SSD VPS * Managed Dedicated
    * Powered by Geeks... and SSD's! - You're in good hands, geek hands.
    * Have questions? Send us an e-mail, we'd love to hear from you!

'Cloud hosting' refers to a specific type of implementation, but the term constantly gets misused by marketing folks without a grasp of the technical differences.
    ▄▀▄ Brian Harrison, Lead Engineer - Reprise Hosting (AS62838)
    ▄▀▄ Deals on cheap dedicated server hosting. IPMI included! Unmetered bandwidth.
    ▄▀▄ Website migration, 24/7/365 support, basic server setup, 15 day money back.
    ▄▀▄ Looking for DEALS on self-managed cheap VPS hosting? Visit VPSHostingDEAL.com

I don't really like referring to the internet as a "cloud". It misrepresents what it really is (which is essentially just a bunch of long ethernet cords hooked up to one another) I like referring to it as the web better. So cloud in the company name, in my opinion, is misleading if you aren't offering actual cloud servers.

Cloud

Quote Originally Posted by ChristsLittleFlock View Post
    The cloud thing seems deceptive if you're not offering cloud. Today it means a very specific thing in the hosting industry.

I totally agree with the guy above me.,

There are too many "Cloud" named things out there already.

Switch Cloud to "space", "digital" or "solutions" if you get stuck.

E.g Williams Cloud becomes Williams Digital... Can basically mean anything.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristsLittleFlock View Post

Quote Originally Posted by harrison914 View Post
    Agreed with above. If you are going to use cloud in your name, you should probably offer cloud services.
    With all the hosts offering "cloud" services and not actually having anything close to a real cloud, I'm not sure he would find himself in any trouble.

With that said, I much prefer a name along the lines of "Giant Hamster" or "Purple Elephant" than anything to do with "(inset descriptor here) cloud" this or "(insert color/animal here) hosting" that. Fitting into the crowds in this industry is the exact opposite of what you need to be doing.
    www.BigScoots.com - Experience the Difference, Ride With Us
    Specializing in Premium Shared, Reseller, VPS, Hybrid and Dedicated Hosting
    Fully Managed | 100% Positive Approval Rating! | Server Migrations
    REAL 24/7/365 US Based ~5 Minute Response Times | 100% Network Uptime

if your not offering cloud dont use it before you get your self getting bash by custumer. even that cloud could be anything

You can also think of a creative/unusual name, such as singlehop, arvixe, crucial, uber, etc.

Cloud is OK if your offers are related.

I would also have a look at Crunchbaseh - just to get an idea for other startup's company names.
    8TECH HK - Hong Kong Web Hosting | Managed & Cloud SSD Servers | Domain Names
    Local Presence, Professional Support (English/German), Swiss Management Team
    Secure your server today with SSL -> SSLPOINT - Afforfable SSL Certificates

Also keep in mind that the name doesn't even have to relate to hosting or the internet at all.

Take fatcow.com for example. Their name has nothing to do with hosting yet they're selling hosting.

Chad
    Webmasterbabble.com Webmaster Forum
    Come join us at webmasterbabble.com

Basing a company/brand name on specific hosting technology is bad idea. Like SSD, Cloud, etc. the industry is changing. Names like FastWebHost seems will be actual forever.
    QHoster.com - Web Hosting with DDoS Protection | Shared & Reseller in Europe/North America
    Linux/Windows RDP VPS 13 Locations : UK, US (5 states), Mexico, Canada, Bulgaria, Lithuania,
    Italy, France, Germany,Netherlands, Switzerland, Rissia, Singapore | OpenVPN/PPTP Enabled
    INSTANT | PayPal, Skrill, Payza, Bitcoin, WebMoney, Perfect Money, Ukash, CashU, paysafecard

When it comes to naming your business you may name it anything you want. Having "cloud" in your name is alright and it doesn't mean that you have to offer cloud services.

There are millions of business some who just slap some words together and then say that's their business name. So why can't you do it? Having any type of hosting key word in your domain or business name is good. If you have any high light features or services then you may use that as a keyword in your domain or name for example if you offer Litespeed then you would be able to have your business name as

LitespeedServers or hosting or cPanel.

It really depends on the business own which at this time is you, to come up with a good name. Write all the names you come up with on paper and cross out what you don't want to use.

I would not recommend it, Cloud is a buzz word and when that buzz word dies, so can your marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by voipcube View Post
    There are too many "Cloud" named things out there already.

Could Cloudy Cloud Hosting. Clouded Hosting for your Clouded Files.

Yup, overkill.