Price for Cross Connects in Carrier Hotels

I was wondering what the average price for a cross connect in carrier hotels is? Does anyone have experience with pricing at the Westin Building in Seattle?

It will range anywhere from $275 to $1000+ (per month) depending on the building, management, and which floors you're moving between. Each time another datacenter is involved, each will want a piece of the pie.

I have no experience with Westin specifically.

Depends on which datacenter you are with in the Westin building, Equinix is $650 MRC $1100 NRC for a pair of SMF to the MMR on 19th floor. Zayo(zcolo) is even more expensive ($1K+). Some smaller DCs charge only $100 MRC. So you should ask your DC about it.
    CNSERVERS.COM Portland, Oregon since 2005
    Fully DDoS Protected BGP Network - Hardware Based Automatic Network and Application Level Protection
    IP Transit / Colocation / DDOS-Protected Server / High Bandwidth Server
    Portland, OR / Seattle, WA / Los Angeles, LA / Frankfurt, Germany

As others have said it really depends on the location you're at in there, it can add up quickly.
    Sales/Support - sales @ purevoltage.com / 1-855-787-8658
    PureVoltage.com Premium Colocation, Dedicated & VPS Hosting, along with Remote Hands NY
    Enterprise Hardware with 6 Global Locations - Seattle | Dallas | Chicago | Los Angeles | New York | Amsterdam

Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa Anderson View Post
    I was wondering what the average price for a cross connect in carrier hotels is? Does anyone have experience with pricing at the Westin Building in Seattle?
    As far as I'm aware, the building itself only charges a NRC, so it's really up to your provider how much they want to charge, based on how long it will take to amortize the cost of that NRC. I've seen $75 - $200.

$650 from Equinix and $1,000 from Zayo look like price gouging, considering their costs aren't going to be any higher than anyone else's, but that's par for the course for Equinix.
    ASTUTE HOSTING: Advanced, customized, and scalable solutions with AS54527 Premium Canadian Optimized Network (Level3, PEER1, Shaw, Tinet)
    MicroServers.io: Enterprise Dedicated Hardware with IPMI at VPS-like Prices using AS63213 Affordable Bandwidth (Cogent, HE, Tinet)
    Dedicated Hosting, Colo, Bandwidth, and Fiber out of Vancouver, Seattle, LA, Toronto, NYC, and Miami

In most true carrier hotels, we see around $400 MRC for SMF fiber inside that provider (not crossing Equinix to Telx).
    For crossing Equinix to Telx at 111 8th or 350 E Cermak, we usually use a partner who lights it with DWDM rather than using dark fiber riser.
    Regarding the comment on riser space, usually you have to lease this from the building owner, so there is some justification in charging an MRC, but not the huge premium that is normally charged.

One additional comment, check with your provider you are connecting to, one of our ISP's (a tier 1) has negotiated cross connect pricing with Equinix globally which is half our cost, so we just have the order the cross connect and add it to our bill.

Interxion (many EU DCs) charges by 2 systems:

Old - One time fee for the patchpanel (8 dual port was like 5000EUR) to the central MMR, one time fee for crossconnect (i think around 150-250EUR), no MRC

New - Setup fee for the panel (not sure how much, but less - something around 1000EUR maybe), MRC 50EUR/Month, Setup fee for cabling (150-250EUR).

Most smaller or national DCs (like GTS in HU/CZ/SK, Sitel in CZ/SK, Smaller DCs (often located in a cage with some small own "MMR") in Germany etc.) charge one time 100-500EUR one time and sometimes very small recurring for maintenance (paid yearly at 100EUR or alike))

We were quoted $370/month for 1 and $650/month for 3 by Telx for the 2nd floor MMR at Cermak. Similar pricing from Equinix 5th floor. These are all fiber. NRC was $500 I think.

Just go with Equinix. Telx is a b*t*h to work with.

Prices vary widely across carrier hotels. Variables include whether you are moving between floors or simply between racks on the same floor. All of colo operators or held hostage to the building owners, who tend to try and get as much as they can from limited conduit space. There can also be a lead time, if you have to go from floor-to-floor.

The cheapest way is to find a provider that has proximity to the central meet-me-room, so you aren't going between floors. Then look at your all in cost, including cabs and XCs as a package. Lastly, negotiate a fixed price list if you can for future deals and establish some options in the contract for growth.

Alan Howard << removed >>
    Last edited by writespeak; 11-05-2013 at 01:40 PM.

If I recall correctly, we were quoted between $100 and $300 MRC for cross connects to the 19th floor MMR in the Westin. Depends on the colocation provider.
    RamNode - #1 SSD VPS
    High Performance SSD and SSD-Cached VPS
    NYC - LA - ATL - SEA - NL - 1Gbps - IPv6 - DDoS Protection - AS3842
    Get your super fast VPS today! - www.ramnode.com

Quote Originally Posted by Spudstr View Post
    Zero issues with Telx. They have been great to work with.
    I have been waiting on a power quote for 600 W 7th since June.

Zero issues with Telx. They have been great to work with.
    Then you must be the only one... :-)

We put in an order, wait 5 days for them to tell us something is still in that port (even though we had already ordered a disconnect), wait another 4 days to get the disconnect done, and then 5 days after that to actually get it installed. Over a week isn't uncommon for the entire process of getting a cross connect completed. I don't recall Equinix ever taking more than 24 hours. We have DWDM up to Equinix from our space in 350 E Cermak for a reason. :-)
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

It is absolute nonsense to pay $1,000 for a cross connect, unless a client who wants specific location is happy with such price. Any provider that wants to maintain a well optimized network should probably have 3 - 4 upstreams and would end up paying $4k on cross-connects. It looks like some data center service providers got greedy
    Host Color Cloud Servers & Dedicated Hosting & European Infrastructure Hosting
    U.S. Data center 90 miles from Chicago
    Network ★ AS46873 Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net, Midwest Peering
    24/7 Support 1-574-367-2393; Skype: HostColor

Quote Originally Posted by HostColor View Post
    Any provider that wants to maintain a well optimized network should probably have 3 - 4 upstreams
    Good point. On that note; how come your sig says level3, cogent, internap. But BGP.HE.NET only shows level3 and cogent? http://d.pr/i/o1G9/4luNMRtK

Quote Originally Posted by gordonrp View Post
    Good point. On that note; how come your sig says level3, cogent, internap. But BGP.HE.NET only shows level3 and cogent? http://d.pr/i/o1G9/4luNMRtK
    Hi Gordon,

Good to talk to you. We get the Internap's bandwidth through a partner network. This is not conversation about us or any specific provider, however.
    Host Color Cloud Servers & Dedicated Hosting & European Infrastructure Hosting
    U.S. Data center 90 miles from Chicago
    Network ★ AS46873 Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net, Midwest Peering
    24/7 Support 1-574-367-2393; Skype: HostColor

Quote Originally Posted by KarlZimmer View Post
    Then you must be the only one... :-)

We put in an order, wait 5 days for them to tell us something is still in that port (even though we had already ordered a disconnect), wait another 4 days to get the disconnect done, and then 5 days after that to actually get it installed. Over a week isn't uncommon for the entire process of getting a cross connect completed. I don't recall Equinix ever taking more than 24 hours. We have DWDM up to Equinix from our space in 350 E Cermak for a reason. :-)
    Not sure what tech you have dealt with but the ones we have talked to have been prompt and gotten things done pretty quickly. Or they are just giving us the "new customer" treatment and then are going to go to hell in a hand basket.

I don't blame you for doing dwdm inside the building.. at . what 700 per fiber XC from telx to equinix? You did a smart move.

If they're charging you more than $400 - start asking questions.
    InfoRelay Online Systems, Inc.
    Colocation | Cloud | Data Centers | Bandwidth | Managed Services
    New York / Northern Virginia / Chicago / Dallas / Miami / Los Angeles / San Jose
    www.InfoRelay.com/Services/Data-Centers

Not sure what tech you have dealt with but the ones we have talked to have been prompt and gotten things done pretty quickly. Or they are just giving us the "new customer" treatment and then are going to go to hell in a hand basket.

I don't blame you for doing dwdm inside the building.. at . what 700 per fiber XC from telx to equinix? You did a smart move.
    The local techs haven't been an issue at all, dealing with local techs has been great, the issue is them actually getting the order/approval from NYC which takes days basically every single time, and I have no idea why...

$700 is what it used to be, but that number just keeps going up. Equinix and TelX really don't want to help each other out by letting their customers inter-connect. :-)
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

The local techs haven't been an issue at all, dealing with local techs has been great, the issue is them actually getting the order/approval from NYC which takes days basically every single time, and I have no idea why...

$700 is what it used to be, but that number just keeps going up. Equinix and TelX really don't want to help each other out by letting their customers inter-connect. :-)

Welll I was quoted last week 700 in cermak for such a cross connect... time to bitch at your rep some more.

Welll I was quoted last week 700 in cermak for such a cross connect... time to bitch at your rep some more.
    From TelX or from Equinix? They both charge different rates for it, which is always fun...

From TelX or from Equinix? They both charge different rates for it, which is always fun...
    Yup.. telx to equinix.. from telx. 700 included everything and was not part of any of our "fiber packs" it was a stand alone XC

Want a better contact?
    I'm convinced that the problems at Telx are deep rooted in their culture and would not vary from one rep to the next.

Quote Originally Posted by IRCCo Jeff View Post
    I'm convinced that the problems at Telx are deep rooted in their culture and would not vary from one rep to the next.
    It's a feature, not a problem. They like to charge you. Don't see what's wrong considering there are people willing to pay

They wouldn't survive in the market if it's an actual problem.

Note: I don't like their heavy charges either.
    Hyperconnezion - your fast path to success
    IT management, Cloud and Data Center Services in Asia Pacific

Quote Originally Posted by concerto49 View Post
    It's a feature, not a problem. They like to charge you. Don't see what's wrong considering there are people willing to pay

They wouldn't survive in the market if it's an actual problem.

Note: I don't like their heavy charges either.
    The issue with TelX isn't the rates, it is the service levels... Equinix charges about the same, but delivers cross connects in 24 hours almost every single time. I don't think I've ever had TelX deliver a cross connect in under 24 hours...

I agree but I've seen a lot worse. Telx isn't as bad as some of the managed service providers that don't target tech savvy hosts.
    Hyperconnezion - your fast path to success
    IT management, Cloud and Data Center Services in Asia Pacific

Quote Originally Posted by HostColor View Post
    Hi Gordon,

Good to talk to you. We get the Internap's bandwidth through a partner network. This is not conversation about us or any specific provider, however.
    Maybe you should fix it to reflect who you are directly connected to?
    Redundant.com High Availability and High Performance Solutions
    Dedicated Servers and VMware Cloud Hosting in Dallas and Los Angeles
    Diverse connections to the Internap Performance Optimized Network

Yup.. telx to equinix.. from telx. 700 included everything and was not part of any of our "fiber packs" it was a stand alone XC
    That is the price. It went up for awhile, but it was negotiated back down.

Quote Originally Posted by IRCCo Jeff View Post
    I would disagree, but everyone is allowed their opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by dougisontilt View Post
    I would disagree, but everyone is allowed their opinion.
    Naturally, because this is indeed your employer. If our account management in Los Angeles were to come to the table with some solutions to the issues I brought to their attention months ago I would gladly recant my statement.