Chromebook, a worthy investment?

Hello WHT,

Seeing as I am now getting clients in different parts or the country I will be travelling a lot more, and will need to be able to provide support on the go.

I was looking at a 3G + WiFi Chromebook and planning to put it on an unlimited data plan.

Question is, would it be worthwhile and can it do what is required for a hosting provider?

Jordan
    Jordan D - DeguWeb Ltd
    Shared cPanel hosting ~ Softaculous ~ 24x7x365 Support
    1 hour first response support guarantee, we focus on quality and not being cheap

I think they are. I plan on getting one myself. If internet access or internet related tasks is all you need, then I think its an worthy investment.

The Samsung Chromebook is sold at a very good price, I think it is a worthy investment. I have bought one myself when the price was higher and find it very functional.
    Regards

Wait till November and rumors are that Samsung is coming up with a Quadcore chromebook.

I've a chromebook (the Samsung one) and a Macbook air.

And I prefer chromebook while travelling. Its lighter, has long battery life and does not heat up so you can keep it on your lap and work without issue. Its a real "lap"top in that sense. The mac air heats up a lot that i can't keep it on lap and work. The keyboard is also good. But touch pad is not so good, and performance not so great.

I'm able to use it for all my online stuffs and also remote ssh servers while on the go.
    If you want do some heavy duty compiling or image editing or have lots of offline taks, then this may not be for you.

EDIT : I wouldn't call it an investment, but rather another purchase. And for $250, you can't really go wrong.

Thanks for the advice guys, might pick one up and will give it away to a family member if I don't get along with it.
    Jordan D - DeguWeb Ltd
    1 hour first response support guarantee, we focus on quality and not being cheap

Brother? is that you

That would be very of you. Im sure they will like it.

Hello,

I have one (Acer model) and I'm very happy with it. It's not my day to day machine, but for weekend travel or light work around the data center it's great.
    Umbra Hosting
    cPanel | Softaculous | CloudLinux | R1Soft | Ksplice
    Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers, Colocation
    UmbraHosting.com

Cheers for the advice guys. I see the Chromebook 11, but will get the Samsung one with 3G as I can't seem to find a 3G version of the HP 11.
    Jordan D - DeguWeb Ltd

HP version of Chromebook looks very promising. The price is very affordable, so there's nothing wrong to give it a try
    ElitePixels.net - Web Design / Re-Design Services
    Experts in Web-Hosting Designs
    http://www.twitter.com/elitepixelsnet

This is great for what you need. I used Samsung's version once. For browser based tasks is very good and the battery life is great. You can't don much outside browsing, but that's fair enough, considering the price.
    MochaHost - 11 Years of raising the bar and lowering prices
    Home of the Lifetime Discount Guarantee.

Quote Originally Posted by Alek_MochaHost View Post
    This is great for what you need. I used Samsung's version once. For browser based tasks is very good and the battery life is great. You can't don much outside browsing, but that's fair enough, considering the price.
    How many hours do you realistically get out of the machine with casual web browsing and mid-range monitor brightness?
    ▄▀▄ Brian Harrison, Lead Engineer - Reprise Hosting (AS62838)
    ▄▀▄ Deals on cheap dedicated server hosting. IPMI included! Unmetered bandwidth.
    ▄▀▄ Website migration, 24/7/365 support, basic server setup, 15 day money back.
    ▄▀▄ Looking for DEALS on self-managed cheap VPS hosting? Visit VPSHostingDEAL.com

Just an update guys! I managed to borrow one from a big company for the weekend to try it out. It's the Samsung and I have 4:25 of battery left right now so can't complain! The only issue with it is having to fight the mouse pad from time to time, however this could be my hands being a little sweaty sometimes.

Jordan
    Jordan D - DeguWeb Ltd

Chromebook Pixel has an amazing display and looks like a decent investment if you replace the OS after buying.