Question [Seeking] Windows Web Hosting suggestion

Can someone recommend a windows hosting company (shared hosting)? I run a website called HeroclixWorld.com and I need to leave my existing host due to server instability.

Here's what I need....
    • ASP 4.0 or greater
    • 5GB of Harddrive space
    • 200 GB of bandwidth/month
    • MS SQL Server (2000 or 2008), 200mb
    • Max Concurrent DATABASE Connections of 50 or greater

The last item is the most important piece, as that has been the bottleneck of my site in the past (I migrated to a new host once before). Finding unlimited harddrive and bandwidth is easy, but finding a site with more than 20 max concurrent DB connections has been very challenging.

Note that I am not interesting VPS or a Dedicated Server at this time (and converting to PHP/MySQL is not a viable option). So a shared hosting plan is what I am after.

Does anyone have suggestions?

I recommend you only Dedicated Server, however check www.arvixe.com

Is using persistent connections not possible?

I'd check out http://www.cartika.com/ but not sure if they will allow 50 MSSQL connections.
    Justin Yancey | Northern Virginia & District of Columbia | https://www.linkedin.com/in/justinyancey

50 simultaneous MS SQL connections would be an issue and it will be your best bet to get in touch with prospective hosts one by one to get a confirmation regarding this since it may not be publicly advertised. As you'd have already imagined, you should not be looking to cheaper hosts as this is more of a premium service..

What budget do you possess?

The majority of web hosts use various flavours of UNIX like Linux and FreeBSD. These operating systems are free and reduce the costs of a hosting operation. Windows costs thousands of dollars so some hosts charge extra for Windows accounts if they offer both types.

Be sure to deal with time-tested and trusted windows web host.

You're going to need your own large VPS, several VPS, or a dedicated server.
    I'd look at EuroVPS if you're in the EU, or LiquidWeb for North America.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by TheLe View Post
    Can someone recommend a windows hosting company (shared hosting)? I run a website called HeroclixWorld.com and I need to leave my existing host due to server instability.

Here's what I need....
    • ASP 4.0 or greater
    • 5GB of Harddrive space
    • 200 GB of bandwidth/month
    • MS SQL Server (2000 or 2008), 200mb
    • Max Concurrent DATABASE Connections of 50 or greater

The last item is the most important piece, as that has been the bottleneck of my site in the past (I migrated to a new host once before). Finding unlimited harddrive and bandwidth is easy, but finding a site with more than 20 max concurrent DB connections has been very challenging.

Note that I am not interesting VPS or a Dedicated Server at this time (and converting to PHP/MySQL is not a viable option). So a shared hosting plan is what I am after.

Does anyone have suggestions?

HI

50 concurrent connections on shared hosting for asp.net can use a bit of cpu/ram, a cloud hosting setup may work for you for your web visitors spread over a few IIS Clustered servers. Make sure that your code is well optimised and closes its DB connections once its finished reading the SQL DB to keep you within allowed resources on shared hosting.
    Cyber Host Pro Ltd - over 10 years in the UK hosting industry.
    Website Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Cloud VPS Servers | Dedicated Servers
    ★ WhiteLabel OnAPP Cloud VPS Reseller Program, Failover, 10Gbit SFP+ Dual SAN storage with Cpanel, Plesk & Windows server.
    www.cyberhostpro.com - UK Call Centre + 24x7 Online Chat

Smile Thanks

Thank you for all your help. I have narrowed down my search to 2 Hosting providers:

My-Hosting -- $15/month gets me one 100mb MSSQL datbases, with a $7/month option to add another 100mb. They're max concurrent db connection is 50. However their .NET only goes up to version 3.5, and that's a tiny db size.

asp-host-portal -- This is my primary choice at this time. $23/month gets me ten 1.5GB MSSQL databases, and their max concurrent db connections is greater than 50. They also specialize in only Windows hosting, so my hope is that they know what they're doing.

Other Sites that didn't fit my needs:
    HostGator - 25 max concurrent db connections
    1and1 - 20 max db connections
    Arvixe - They never answered my email inquiries
    ixwebhosting - 30 max db connections
    hostexcellence.com - 40 max db connections, 50 MSSQL DB @ 5GB each. (this would be my third choice)
    Superb.net - Linux only
    HostMonster - Linux Only

Backup plan
    My final option would be to get a 1and1 account -- I used them before and they're service is great but their max db connection is tiny.

My idea would have been to replicate my data across 5 database instances, then my ASP pages would pull data from one of those databases (chosen at random).

With a 20% chance to get any one db server, that should theoretically simulate a higher number of concurrent db connections, avoiding the issue altogether.

Insert/Update/Deleting wouldn't be a problem since I have a custom CMS to handle that, but modifying tables/fields WOULD take longer (since I would need to do that across all 5 db servers).

Still, it would work I think, but it looks like I may not need to take that route.

Responses
    Below are my individual responses to each of your comments. Again, thank you for chiming in.

Quote Originally Posted by Genius Guard View Post
    I recommend you only Dedicated Server, however check www.arvixe.com

Arvixe was the most difficult to get a hold of. I was unable to reach them by phone, and they never returned my email inquiry (4 days ago).

Quote Originally Posted by JustinAY View Post
    Is using persistent connections not possible?
    What exactly does that mean? A persistent connection does not seem possible when it comes to web pages with dozens of people hitting the web page per minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Softsys Hosting View Post
    50 simultaneous MS SQL connections would be an issue and it will be your best bet to get in touch with prospective hosts one by one to get a confirmation regarding this since it may not be publicly advertised. As you'd have already imagined, you should not be looking to cheaper hosts as this is more of a premium service..
    That is exactly what I ended up doing! I have NEVER seen concurrent db connections advertised anywhere at all, yet that is my #1 bottleneck. I was willing to pay for a premium shared hosting up to $40 a month, and it looks like I may have found one (see above).

Quote Originally Posted by cisorg View Post
    What budget do you possess?
    Up to $20-$30/month would be ideal, but I am willing to go no higher than $40/month.

Quote Originally Posted by Henninger1 View Post
    The majority of web hosts use various flavours of UNIX like Linux and FreeBSD. These operating systems are free and reduce the costs of a hosting operation. Windows costs thousands of dollars so some hosts charge extra for Windows accounts if they offer both types. Be sure to deal with time-tested and trusted windows web host.
    Yes, I am aware that Windows costs vendors, which is why I am willing to pay a premium. My top vendor at the moment, asp-host-portal, is a preferred vendor from Microsoft.com with 4 out of 5 rating at microsoft. And since they ONLY do Windows hosting, well, they'd be more focused on single platform.

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    You're going to need your own large VPS, several VPS, or a dedicated server. I'd look at EuroVPS if you're in the EU, or LiquidWeb for North America.
    No need for a VPS, nor am I willing to pay for one.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberHostPro View Post
    HI

50 concurrent connections on shared hosting for asp.net can use a bit of cpu/ram, a cloud hosting setup may work for you for your web visitors spread over a few IIS Clustered servers. Make sure that your code is well optimised and closes its DB connections once its finished reading the SQL DB to keep you within allowed resources on shared hosting.
    I've looked at cloud services, specifically Azure. They were hideously expensive.

Currently I am using Godaddy -- and they technically use something called "grid hosting" now, which I assume is a bunch of clusters, and offers 100 concurrent db connections. But the third party monitoring service I use is reporting that site goes down daily on Godaddy -- which is why I need to leave their service.

I am indeed closing and disposing of all my connections and datareaders on my webpages.

I'll make a final decision in the next week or two, as my godaddy hosting doesn't expire until December (then I start task of transferring all my data to my new host... *shiver*)

-The Le

Arvixe was the most difficult to get a hold of. I was unable to reach them by phone, and they never returned my email inquiry (4 days ago).
    -The Le
    Hello,

Can you help us out by sending you the email address, and phone number used to contact us? I'd like to look into it further to ensure there is no problem on our end. Please send to adam [at] arvixe[dot]com.

Thank you!
    Web Hosting @ Arvixe, LLC
    Product Portfolio: Linux Web Hosting | ASP .NET Web Hosting | Business Web Hosting | E-Commerce Web Hosting | Dedicated Servers
    Freedom of the web at your fingertips!
    adam [at] arvixe.com

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by adam-arvixe View Post
    Hello,Can you help us out by sending you the email address, and phone number used to contact us? I'd like to look into it further to ensure there is no problem on our end. Please send to adam [at] arvixe[dot]com.
    Thank you. I have sent you an email.

-The Le

Your concurrent database connections will get you suspended by shared hosts.

So good luck with that.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Huh?

Your concurrent database connections will get you suspended by shared hosts.

So good luck with that.
    I do not understand your eye rolling, nor do I understand where your conclusion is coming from.

Currently when there are 25 maximum concurrent db connections, if a 26th person tries to hit the database they will receive a 500 error message. That's how every website works today.

There is no suspensions needed, nor does it require attention from the hosting provider, as the "max concurrent db connections" are set at the server level and will automatically halt that additional connection.

By definition that's what a "max concurrent db connection" is - a software setting limit to prevent server abuse/overload.

I do not understand your eye rolling, nor do I understand where your conclusion is coming from.

Currently when there are 25 maximum concurrent db connections, if a 26th person tries to hit the database they will receive a 500 error message. That's how every website works today.

There is no suspensions needed, nor does it require attention from the hosting provider, as the "max concurrent db connections" are set at the server level and will automatically halt that additional connection.

By definition that's what a "max concurrent db connection" is - a software setting limit to prevent server abuse/overload.
    Actually, on shared hosting, you can't have someone hogging 100% of maximum db connections. So a suspension to restore service is likely needed, along with a talk to the customer. It absolutely requires attention from the hosting provider.

Letting someone hog 100% of a resource on a shared server and not disabling their access in some way (usually by suspension and a talk with the customer), is not fair to the other customers.

Usually, though, on MySQL setups you set a lower connection per user limit than the max concurrent connections.
    Justin Yancey | Northern Virginia & District of Columbia | https://www.linkedin.com/in/justinyancey

I'm not sure if MS SQL provides this option (I'm sure it does), but on MySQL we can set a per user connection limit, along with a global limit, so that a single user does not use 100% of maximum concurrent connections (global).

<edit> Forum 503'd on me when I posted the above, didn't think it went through before posting again. </edit>

Smile Followup

Hey folks, I expanded my research a little more, and have whittled it down to 4 choices (note that MyHost has been removed from my list because they only give you one or two 100MB database and charge too much for additional MBs):

ASP_Host_Portal
    •Unlimited Concurrent DB connections
    •Ten Databases (1.5 GB)
    •Disk Space / Bandwidth: Unlimited / Unlimited
    •Cost: $35 (6 mon req)
    •Note: cost reduced to $29 / mo if you pay for 1 year

Phi9
    •100 Concurrent DB connections
    •Unlimited Databases (4 GB)
    •$9.09 / month

winhost
    •150 Concurrent DB connections
    One-Hundred Datbases (2.5 GB)
    •Disk Space / Bandwidth: 10 GB / 500 GB
    •Cost: $20 /month (billed quarterly)

mywindowshosting
    •Unlimited Databases (6 GB)
    •Cost: $7.95 / month

I really like ASP_Host_Portal because they're a Microsoft shop only, but I don't like the paying 6 months at a time, at least not at $35. The price is fine for me if it were monthly, but the 6-month-lock is not pleasing.

I'm very much leaning towards Phi9 right now because their customer service has been amazing. They've been very courteous via email and they immediately gave me some coding ideas for caching and cutting down on database connections.

You'd be surprised at how many knowledgeable tech/sales people I've had to talk to thus far (I keep having to explain that concurrent-db-connections is NOT the same as total visitors).

Winhost is reputable. The others are unknown.
    I'd avoid so-called "unlimited" hosting for this. That's trouble.
    || Need a good host?
    ||

Winhost is reputable. The others are unknown. I'd avoid so-called "unlimited" hosting for this. That's trouble.

I agree -- I recently fired off an email to some of them asking about Unlimited Bandwidth. I'm curious to know if they throttle after a certain amount has been used. In my experience, "unlimited" always has strings attached.

Winhost has become my second choice of late. Still another week before I pull the trigger though, so there's lots of time to gather more info.
    Last edited by TheLe; 10-17-2013 at 02:25 PM.

Arrow

Winhost is reputable. The others are unknown.
    I'd avoid so-called "unlimited" hosting for this. That's trouble.
    I'm very much leaning towards Winhost now -- they don't throttle at all. Once the bandwidth limit is reached, the site becomes inaccessible, which is exactly what I want to happen.

That being said, Winhost says "300 MB Site Memory Allocation" for the higher plan (200 MB for the lower plan).

I've never considered that before -- is that a high, low, or average amount? (I have no idea what my current site is using)

It really just depends. One of my Windows Server sites eats up about 500MB of RAM, and that's for just one site. And even that is "small" compared to sites I've admin'd in the past, which ate up a whole 3GB or more by itself.
    || Need a good host?
    ||

Phi9
    •100 Concurrent DB connections
    •Unlimited Databases (4 GB)
    •$9.09 / month

winhost
    •150 Concurrent DB connections
    One-Hundred Datbases (2.5 GB)
    •Disk Space / Bandwidth: 10 GB / 500 GB
    •Cost: $20 /month (billed quarterly)

mywindowshosting
    •Unlimited Databases (6 GB)
    •Cost: $7.95 / month
    Just a followup.

PHI9 has been removed from consideration. They throttle at 25GB bandwidth, and they have some strangely very restrictive rules.

MyWindowsHosting is also out -- when I told them I need over 100GB/Bandwidth a month and asked if/when they throttle. Their senior tech support said "our share hosting only can support small personal site, so for the performance consider, we suggest you to consider our semi-dedicated plan."

That annoys me. "small personal sites" don't need unlimited everything, so why even offer unlimited? They suggested that they can't "support that much bandwidth", so I am wondering if it is false advertising. And that was all coming from senior staff.

winhost is very likely my choice. Max 500gb bandwidth, but no throttling, and 150 max concurrent db connections. That should easily support me for the next 3-5 years (especially if I can optimize with better asp.net caching).

My final decision is later this week.

Choosing a new web host shouldn't be this time consuming.

That annoys me. "small personal sites" don't need unlimited everything, so why even offer unlimited? They suggested that they can't "support that much bandwidth", so I am wondering if it is false advertising. And that was all coming from senior staff.
    Welcome to "unlimited" hosting. It never is.
    || Need a good host?
    ||

Well, here's a twist. I finally decided to go with WINHOST for their Max or Ultimate plans since they allow 200GB or 500GB bandwidth respectively -- with no throttling.

I literally purchased an account a few days ago... but today I got an email saying that those two plans are now going to be UNLIMITED bandwidth.

That annoys be greatly. I emailed asking if/when they will start throttling. I may have to cancel my account and go elsewhere if they can't give me the originally promised 200GB/500GB no throttling bandwidth.

No response yet.

Bandwidth has reached the point that it should just be unlimited. Your limited by the max port speed is all. I never have problem with this.

Excluding EIG, I highly doubt anybody would throttle bandwidth. At worst, the large hosts throttle FTP, but I don't see Winhost doing this.

I think you're overreacting here.
    || Need a good host?
    ||

I think you're overreacting here.
    Perhaps, but one of my early choices was Phi9, but they throttle bandwidth once you reach 25GB of usage.

I've emailed Winhost and I'm waiting for a response. I suspect all will be okey, but I need to be sure since I was literally planning a final swich over to Winhost for my website next week.

TheLe - so how did this end up? Did you go with winhost?

Agreed, I see they updated their site as well. Let us know how it's going with them.

We used to have a Windows sub forum under Web Hosting. Seems like WHT got rid of that.
    Ryan Kekos GearHost - HostingCon Advisory Board and Speaker
    PaaS Cloud for .NET and PHP Developers
    100% real cloud - all apps/sites live in web farm clusters, all SSD, etc.
    Signup for 100 Domains & 100 Databases - No credit card required

suggestions

Hello,
    Few companies are providing Windows hosting. I can suggest you few companies that I have tried.

1and1, Godaddy, Hostgator.

You can try any company.

Quote Originally Posted by outlanded View Post
    TheLe - so how did this end up? Did you go with winhost?
    I ended up going with Winhost -- they had not "max concurrent database" connection limit. I've been very happy with them for about 8 months now.

There has been some down time here and there (I use a third party monitoring site), but the downtime is fairly minimal (unlike Godaddy that seemed to go down daily).

Also, whenever there is downtime, I get a response from Winhost pretty quickly with details. I love the fact that they are willing to communicate problems with me. At godaddy, that always denied there were any issues.