100Mbps: Cogent or XO at Same Pricing

I'm about to pull the trigger on 100Mbps on gig fiber for three locations for some cheap and dirty backhaul (most data will never leave the carrier's network).

That said, if XO and Cogent are nearly identical in pricing, which is going to provide the better network?

That would be Cogent.

Check all 3 locations, and verify that all 3 are on-net; and that they have a ring topology
    I realize that it sounds basic, but I have been surprised too many times when checking the MMR vs the carrier on-net list.

I would do some searches on here for Cogent and over-subscription, especially in non-primary POPs. That would be my major concern. If they are selling multiple GE on a single GE backhaul, you could run into capacity issues. Not saying that XO doesn't do the same thing, but it's been reported here and other places with Cogent way more frequently.
    [QuickPacket™] [AS46261]
    Located in Atlanta, GA and Los Angeles, CA
    Dedicated Servers, KVM, Xen & OpenVZ VPS, Co-location, R1Soft Data Backup, Shared & Reseller Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by qps View Post
    I would do some searches on here for Cogent and over-subscription, especially in non-primary POPs. That would be my major concern. If they are selling multiple GE on a single GE backhaul, you could run into capacity issues. Not saying that XO doesn't do the same thing, but it's been reported here and other places with Cogent way more frequently.
    Thanks. The only issue where this is a concern is new construction for them (to a building that is currently non-Cogent). So my 100Mbps would be the only traffic on the gig. In both of my other two markets, there is at least 10GbE close by.

But this is all good info (first-time poster).

I have very serious issues with XO as a company, but how could they be better than Cogent? The Cogent we had for a brief period of time earlier this year was barely usable.

Neither, is HE in that location? HE is usually the same price point or cheaper and usually has a better network.

Quote Originally Posted by stablehost View Post
    Neither, is HE in that location? HE is usually the same price point or cheaper and usually has a better network.
    By what standards does HE have a better network?
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Quote Originally Posted by KarlZimmer View Post
    By what standards does HE have a better network?
    Than cogent? Easily. But perhaps I'm biased because Cogent had a major meltdown in Phoenix today that killed a ton of our traffic for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by stablehost View Post
    Than cogent? Easily. But perhaps I'm biased because Cogent had a major meltdown in Phoenix today that killed a ton of our traffic for a while.
    Meaning better than both XO and Cogent. Cogent has definitely had some interesting issues, but have definitely seen some oddities through HE as well. I will say though, much of my analysis of HE is likely dated, but I had seen many congestion issues with them across various points.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Quote Originally Posted by KarlZimmer View Post
    Meaning better than both XO and Cogent. Cogent has definitely had some interesting issues, but have definitely seen some oddities through HE as well. I will say though, much of my analysis of HE is likely dated, but I had seen many congestion issues with them across various points.
    We've had a HE peer for a little over 2 years now and haven't had any known issues.

It's possible they used to suck though, every low-cost transit provider has it's faults.