* Hosting Query - Private SSL and dedicated IP needed?

Hi,

I am new to hosting and web designing. Just getting into it to support my other initiatives.
    I have just bought hostgator(monthly) baby plan for my website to test and learn to use wordpress and other features. I am planning to host other websites as well. These will be light websites(artists... startups... etc.)

I am satisfied with hostgator and will extend to 6 months or 1 year.

My question is... If i continue with the same plan.. i will not get a private SSL and dedicated IP. How important are these things if i want to setup a basic e-commerce page on my website?

Is it possible to run the e-commerce page through an external site like bigcartel and add to my existing page instead of changing my plan to include dedicated ip and private ssl?

Please advice..
    Raul

If you want uniqueness, then go ahead and add SSL and dedicated IP.
    If you just want SSL, then use an external service.

You can install a SSL certificate without the need of a dedicated IP, so, you shouldn't need to upgrade to any other plan.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Nah, he is using Hostgator, the shared SSL uses hostgator's domain.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito View Post
    You can install a SSL certificate without the need of a dedicated IP, so, you shouldn't need to upgrade to any other plan.
    Thanks Jedito...

Can you put some light on how would i be able to install SSL certificate and how much would that cost?

Thanks in advance.

If you want the SSL running on your website for when customers are browsing and/or paying for something then get the Dedicated IP and SSL as this is highly recommended when users are submitting personal information to you. It also informs customers that you care about their privacy and that all information is encrypted when being submitted through the website.

I would highly suggest you upgrade to get the FREE SSL, otherwise you are paying for one.
    Last edited by Midnight_Dan; 10-09-2013 at 08:48 AM.
    ▌Midnight Host | We're taking the UK by STORM
    ▌Shared, Reseller and VPS
    ▌Follow us on Twitter
    www.midnighthost.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by error404loading View Post
    Thanks Jedito...

Can you put some light on how would i be able to install SSL certificate and how much would that cost?

Thanks in advance.
    Since 4-5 months ago, you can install a SSL certificate in a shared IP on Cpanel based host, if I'm not wrong, their baby plan did not allow you to add a dedicated IP, and therefore the limitation, however, they should be able to install the cert now on the shared IP.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Talking Thanks to hostgator sales team..

I have spoken with hostgator support extensively regarding my requirement and they have offered me a discount on upgrading my plan to 1 year(this is a one time initial coupon code which i used already for the first month and cannot be redeemed again, yet they are ready to give me discount again.. wow)

I can get both private ssl and dedicated ip for almost the same price as my current plan thanks to hostgator India sales team (avinash).

Thanks all for your replies.

Quote Originally Posted by error404loading View Post
    I have spoken with hostgator support extensively regarding my requirement and they have offered me a discount on upgrading my plan to 1 year(this is a one time initial coupon code which i used already for the first month and cannot be redeemed again, yet they are ready to give me discount again.. wow)

I can get both private ssl and dedicated ip for almost the same price as my current plan thanks to hostgator India sales team (avinash).

Thanks all for your replies.
    Thats great! , glad you got a deal out of it.
    ▌Midnight Host | We're taking the UK by STORM
    ▌Shared, Reseller and VPS
    ▌Follow us on Twitter
    www.midnighthost.co.uk

you can install SSL Certificate and allow you give dedicated IP with all the information providing to you

It is also important how you will be collecting the payments on the e-commerce page. If you process credit cards via a third parity provider's page then you don't really need own SSL. If you are going to process direct payments on your page then you should get SSL for sure. I must say though that based on some researches, web sites protected via SSL gain 40 % more sales than ones with no SSL. Furthermore there are some good opinions that you will get better SEO ranking if you use dedicated IP address.