Thumbs down My Couple Days With Staminus

I ordered a server from Staminus they were prompt and got it installed within a couple hours on a saturday night. I was grateful for this and give them a A++ for setup, however I was working on setting it up(configuring TCAdmin) the next day when I get a email saying that I was getting a DDOS attack. I made a ticket asking if I was really getting DDOS attacked or if it was because I was downloading from steamcmd. They informed me that it might have been because of me downloading the files and asked me to try again to help track down the cause. Within two minutes my ip was null routed, and 20 mins later I got a response back asking if I could access my server, which I was obviously not able to. I am sure now that it had nothing to do with steamcmd because the attack was still going on while the ip was nullrouted. I asked them for a new ip and they refused saying they do not change primary ips for their servers.

I had just got the server and have nothing on it yet, but I am responsible for the previous user of the IP getting attacked; how is this fair? At this point I asked for either a new ip, or a refund. Staminus responded by posting their TOS, under which they say they gave me a working server. I think it is reasonable to get a new ip on a server you just got from a company if the ip they gave you is already under attack. I would recommend no one to use this company if you don't want to deal with the last clients issues, they will not help you out or work with you.

Screen Shot Below
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails staminus.png  

I remember reading this before. Didn't you already post this somewhere else?

Did you purchase filtering from them?

Francisco
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

Hi Violent,

To solve this issue we can give you a new server that will come with a new primary IP. Simply request this in your ticket and we can start the setup right away.

Unfortunately it is simply not possible for us to provide new never been used IPs for every new client as IPv4 is limited and must be recycled. For the hassle we can provide you with 2 weeks free service. Feel free to send me a direct e-mail if you need any additional help as I want your experience with Staminus to be as positive as possible.

Best Regards,
    Bryant
    Bryant T.
    Staminus Communications, DDoS Protection, Dedicated Servers, and VMs
    @ 200+ Gbps global ddos mitigation network. Local or Remote. Proxy, GRE, and direct cross connects.
    @ Available in Amsterdam, New York, Los Angeles and Orange County. Anycast BGP.

Quote Originally Posted by wswd View Post
    I remember reading this before. Didn't you already post this somewhere else?
    I posted a little bit of it before but I never mentioned who it was, because I wanted to see if I was overreacting about the issue and also hoping that the hosting company would make things right.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaAnime View Post
    Did you purchase filtering from them?

Francisco
    No I do not.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBTown View Post
    Hi Violent,

To solve this issue we can give you a new server that will come with a new primary IP. Simply request this in your ticket and we can start the setup right away.

Unfortunately it is simply not possible for us to provide new never been used IPs for every new client as IPv4 is limited and must be recycled. For the hassle we can provide you with 2 weeks free service. Feel free to send me a direct e-mail if you need any additional help as I want your experience with Staminus to be as positive as possible.

Best Regards,
    Bryant
    My issue is that I had to come to WHT to get this resolved. I shouldn't have had to come here. I prefer a refund, as I really don't think I want to do business with you guys anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by violentcrimes View Post
    My issue is that I had to come to WHT to get this resolved.
    I agree that this is the main issue at hand here.
    The support staff specifically, explicitly and repeatedly ***refused*** to change IPs, well aware of what that meant to the customer. A completely new site, nothing on it, slapped with one null route after the other. Remember my post a while ago, where I asked how the networks of DDoS-Protected Providers are? Looks like my layman's view of receiving impaired service just by being in a heavy-attacked network (with attacked former customers/neighbours) isn't too far off.

When confronted with a cancellation, your staff decided to stick hard to the rules, refused once again, and refused the refund as well, for an apparently lousy service (sorry, but if my service goes down through no fault of my own, that's all I can call it).

Then, a post on WHT. Suddenly, the IP change is no problem at all! The IP can be changed any time! Just holler!

You need to have consistency here. If the option to change IPs exists, and the customer specifically asks for it (and with good reason!), then you should grant the customer that option, no matter of whether WHT exists or the customer has complained on it.

In this situation, any honest customer is stupid.
    I am just considering how I would react in this situation. First, imagine I'd bring my application to you. My application is "clean" in terms of DDoS, haven't gotten one yet. The moment I'd move in with you (assume I would have been violentcrimes here), I'd get notice of a massive attack against my site. Bamm, first null route in my life, extended downtime. That'd be pretty poor service.
    Assume that for some reason, despite the high price that demands a near-instant use, I didn't move anything there yet, so I'd know it's probably not me. So I'd ask for a new IP. If your staff repeatedly tells me that it's not an option, I'd believe that, and assume that's a firm rule. I might or might not post a review on WHT because I couldn't really evaluate your service. And because of that, I would never find out that the IP change is actually an option, I just have to complain on WHT!
    Last edited by sewi; 10-09-2013 at 08:14 AM.

My issue is that I had to come to WHT to get this resolved. I shouldn't have had to come here. I prefer a refund, as I really don't think I want to do business with you guys anymore.
    You are 100% correct. You should not have had to come to WHT to get this resolved. We take everything that comes to this forum very seriously and based on the feedback we receive we take measures so situations like this do not get repeated. Your situation should have been escalated and resolved internally before ever reaching this forum.

I understand that you are frustrated and want to leave, and we will honor that request, but I sincerely hope you stay as we would like the chance to prove that this was an isolated incident. We host some of the largest private game servers in the world and I know you will love our service if we can move past this!
    Bryant T.
    @ 200+ Gbps global ddos mitigation network. Local or Remote. Proxy, GRE, and direct cross connects.

Services have been rendered sir let me file this in the bin for you unless you publicly shame us of course.

I guess the lesson here (other than avoiding Staminus) is never buy non DDoS protected service from a "DDoS protection" provider. The odds of getting a extremely dirty high risk IP are much higher.

Run a mile.

You are 100% correct. You should not have had to come to WHT to get this resolved. We take everything that comes to this forum very seriously and based on the feedback we receive we take measures so situations like this do not get repeated. Your situation should have been escalated and resolved internally before ever reaching this forum.

I understand that you are frustrated and want to leave, and we will honor that request, but I sincerely hope you stay as we would like the chance to prove that this was an isolated incident. We host some of the largest private game servers in the world and I know you will love our service if we can move past this!
    I would prefer the refund. Do I need to make a ticket or email you? Thank you for taking the time to resolve this issue.

I would prefer the refund. Do I need to make a ticket or email you? Thank you for taking the time to resolve this issue.
    Please send me an e-mail and I will personally assist you tomorrow.
    Bryant T.

Update. Staminus gave me a full refund. We did figure out it was most likely not a ddos attack and it was steamcmd downloading. I would like to thank you Bryant for your help with this matter after the original issue.

Unfortunately it is simply not possible for us to provide new never been used IPs for every new client as IPv4 is limited and must be recycled. For the hassle we can provide you with 2 weeks free service.
    Not specific to this customer but when a new customer is reporting that they have not even used the server yet it's receiving attacks then yes you do have a responsibility to provide them a new IP address. The above reasoning of IPV4 shortages doesn't wash, in your line of business you explicitly charge people for the size of attacks they receive. What you are saying ultimately is that you are potentially forcing customers into larger plans when the attacks they are receiving might not even be directed at them and given this situation is going to be from reused IP's the most likely reason to have these are people leaving/cancelling because the service wasn't good enough, the attacks where larger than their plan/budget or you simply couldn't handle their type of attack - yet these are the very IP's you are forcing upon new customers.

I understand this situation is rare and nobody is saying you should never re-use an IP but your staffs handling of this is frankly shocking. It's those types of staff members that give your business a bad name by repeating the same policy line, instead of you know - actually helping the customer, when it may be that the policy is incorrect when they should simply be escalating for someone who can make that decision to make it (Even if it still disagrees with the customer).
    Server Management - AdminGeekZ.com
    Infrastructure Management, Web Application Performance, mySQL DBA. System Automation.
    WordPress/Magento Performance, Apache to Nginx Conversion, Varnish Implimentation, DDoS Protection, Custom Nginx Modules
    Check our wordpress varnish plugin. Contact us for quote: [email protected]

During the time of my first post I was away from work and did not have access to the entire story. The reason why an IP change was not offered for this client was because the client was not receiving any DDoS attacks.

What actually happened was that the client was triggering a null route due to a high speed download which was exceeding his port speed because of a misconfigured port setting. After this port setting was fixed the client downloaded again, but still saw an attack report. Even though an attack report was registered in the logs, this time the server was not null routed and was fully accessible. Sometimes our reports will show high bursts of download traffic, but this does not mean the server is null routed unless our reports explicitly state that it is.

We explained this situation to him, but upon seeing the attack reports he assumed that his server was down. We reassured him that everything was fixed, but he still requested a new IP. We tried explaining to him again that everything was fixed and that an IP change was not necessary. We did not hear back from him until this WHT post.

After talking to violentcrimes I was able to clear everything up with him and offer a refund due to the lack of clear communication that was lacking in his ticket. I also want to mention that I was wrong in my first response where I said we can not change primary IPs. After checking with our network security engineers we will in fact change primary IPs in the rare case that a client is under attack because of a previous client.

Hopefully this clears everything up and I will be happy to answer anymore questions.
    Bryant T.

We explained this situation to him, but upon seeing the attack reports he assumed that his server was down.

I also want to mention that I was wrong in my first response where I said we can not change primary IPs. After checking with our network security engineers we will in fact change primary IPs in the rare case that a client is under attack because of a previous client.

Hopefully this clears everything up and I will be happy to answer anymore questions.
    It's always a problem when someone communicating with a client say a lot of opposite information and does not know the correct information that has to be delivered.

All this just says about excessive ddos attacks on their network and low reason to stay on the compromised to ddos attacks network. Or perhaps they are just running out of IPs.