Thread: New to VPS

New to VPS

Hello everyone

I am completely new to VPS. I have a small hosting company(started as offering all inclusive service for web design customers). For now, I am using reseller account, and I am fine with it.
    My problem is that now, after two years, it is becoming hard to manage all users and fulfill their needs and requests.

I would like to start getting some experience with VPS. I am NOT someone who is lazy, so I am Googling and reading a lot, but I am asking a question here, because I have seen some great advices on this forum.

So, my question is - could you recommend me some smallest(chippest) VPS that is good enough? In future, I am planning to use VPS instead of reseller for my hosting clients, but for now, I just need one to practice. Also, feel free to link me some good articles, where I could learn something useful.

Thank you

As many of us suggest here, LowEndBox is a great place to find cheap VPS servers. You could start with a cheap LEB provider and upgrade your specs as you need more power. A cheap VPS that you can always reinstall in case you mess it up is a good way to start learning Linux and VPS administration.

If you want a cheap server you should look for one with less than 1GB of RAM and OpenVZ virtualization.

don't sacrifice the quality for a really cheap service, and how many websites you have? you might need to have a mid range VPS, so can handle it.
    RouterHosting
    Cheap Windows VPS | Linux VPS | Dedicated Servers Within Your budget
    Accept Credit Cards, PayPal, Payza, PerfectMoney, Moneybookers, BitCoin and ....
    Instant Windows and Linux VPS Activation

VPS

What destination you looking for?

You propably need a good VPS and a billing software like WHMCS.

The VPS would have at least 1GB of RAM, and you need to get lots of things setup, such as installing a control panel (eg cPanel, Plesk), installing a billing solution (eg WHMCS, PBAS), and adding some tweaks, such as cloudlinux.

Not sure if low end and cheap VPS will do the trick for you, especially when you say you don't have experience.
    My advise is to get a mid-range managed VPS with billing tools.
    And you will be able to use it right away.

Thank you for your answers.

Of course, I would never sacrifice quality.
    Believe it or not, I have 100% renewal rate on annual hosting deals, and sacrificing quality is not an option. (I have made websites to all of my clients as a main service, and they are 90% small businesses, so every single customer renewed their hosting for second year)

But at this point I want to learn, so I dont really care about quality or location. I will probably host only websites under construction there, and play with the account, and use it for a few months, so I can experience daily problems on myself, not on my customers.

I have seen many offers these days as cheap as 7-8€ per month (Leaseweb, hetzner), so I will probably go with one of them. I have been looking at LowEndBox, but i am a little scared of those offers

Thanks again for your replies

Do you know what control panel are you currently using with your reseller account? (cPanel, Kloxo, DirecAdmin, etc.)

Kloxo is free, WHM/cPanel is normally about USD$15 / month for a VPS. If you intend to use one or the other for your clients you should start of by installing one of them and getting to know the backend admin stuff.

I think WHM/cPanel has a minimum RAM requirement of 512MB (1GB recommended) and minimum of 10GB disk space.
    Farbyte Ltd [UK] ♦ Professional UK Hosting ♦ Tel: +44 (0)843 532 0744
    cPanelģ web hosting since 2006.
    SSD caching VPS with resilient, redundant replicated storage & IPS
    ♦ Hosting ♦ Domains ♦ SSL Certificates ♦ VPS

I am using CPanel/WHM
    Now, i am wondering if it is a big difference between CPanel and Kloxo(in terms of managing VPS). If it is not a big difference, I would install Kloxo for a few months for free practice, and then, when I am ready to put customers on VPS I would find some high quality VPS and install CPanel/Whm, because in my opinion, CPanel i much better then other control panels

Kloxo does all of the things you need (although its not as well maintained as cpanel)
    Lowest Host/Empire Technology LLC
    Offering Quality Shared, Reseller, VPS servers, and Dedicated Servers
    24x7 Tech Support http://empire-hosting.net
    XEN Servers Now http://xenserversnow.com - Budget XEN VPS /

As stated, Kloxo will do the hosting as you need, but if you plan to use WHM/cPanel for your production server/s then don't bother training with Kloxo. Use WHM/cPanel from the start.

They both offer shared web hosting, but the interfaces and administration tasks are very different, so any training you have with Kloxo will be wasted if you eventually use WHM/cPanel.

There's no point in wanting to learn to drive a car and training on a motorbike Although both effectively do the same job, they are very different things.
    Farbyte Ltd [UK] ♦ Professional UK Hosting ♦ Tel: +44 (0)843 532 0744
    cPanelģ web hosting since 2006.
    SSD caching VPS with resilient, redundant replicated storage & IPS
    ♦ Hosting ♦ Domains ♦ SSL Certificates ♦ VPS

I would prefer cPanel or Plesk.

Go for cPanel in its bareroot form. Easy and secure.

If you want an easy to use control panel then try using the DirectAdmin control panel.

The DirectAdmin user manual is available at http://www.site-helper.com . A demo of DirectAdmin is available at http://www.directadmin.com/demo.html
    ---=== RoseHosting.com Admin ===---
    Linux Cloud Hosting - linuxcloudvps.com
    Linux VPS Hosting - rosehosting.com
    High Quality Linux virtual servers with lots of Guaranteed RAM and HDD space, Impeccable Service.