Question Domain Name related Questions

Hello all,

I know that the domain name attracts annual charges. I just wish to know the following:

1. Does domain name 'belong' to user or webhosting company?
    2. Can domain name be claimed after leaving a webhosting company or they can hold on to it and cause problems?
    3. Is it OK to go for free domain name registration offer by webhosting company?[/*]
    4. Is it advisable to register domain name at inexpensive rates with companies such as Namecheap and host the website with another Webhosting company? Are there any complications?

Thanks and Regards

Hello,

1) If you register the domain under your details then you will own the domain
    2) If you leave the web hosting company you can simply transfer the domain with you
    3) Normally when web hosting company's offer free domain, its only free while you have an active hosting account with them. You would need to check their TOS
    4) Yes, its always good to separate your domain and web host.

Quote Originally Posted by webola View Post
    Does domain name 'belong' to user or webhosting company?
    With most extensions, the domain belongs to the entity listed in the WHOIS information. If you have a web hosting company which has opened a browser window in the last five years, that should be you (but it doesn't hurt to check if you're concerned about this).

Can domain name be claimed after leaving a webhosting company or they can hold on to it and cause problems?
    If the domain is yours, so you should be able to transfer it to a different provider. If the domain is yours and you can't, feel free to submit a complaint to ICANN. If the domain isn't yours, the hosting company is free to hold on to it, of course.

Is it OK to go for free domain name registration offer by webhosting company?
    There are many who recommend you should register your domain with the same company as your hosting provider and there are people who recommend the opposite. Make sure that you can trust the host with your domains.

If you have no problems with that, getting a free domain with your hosting account shouldn't be a problem. Just be sure to check what happens if you cancel your hosting account early, because some hosting companies tend to hold your domain hostage.

Is it advisable to register domain name at inexpensive rates with companies such as Namecheap and host the website with another Webhosting company? Are there any complications?
    As long as the pricing is plausible, price doesn't need to say anything about quality. A .com costs a registrar roughly $8 per year. If they charge less than $8 per year for a .com, you should be worried. But Namecheap charges more than that and, judging by the reviews you can find here, they are a very reliable registrar (which I can confirm personally).

Edited...I guess, you both answered my questions.

Thanks and Regards.
    Last edited by webola; 01-04-2015 at 06:51 AM.

So, it isn't OK to opt for free domain name offer when buying a webhosting package without reading TOS? Does that mean that there is possibility that the webhosting company may not free the domain name if one chooses to discontinue?

Thanks and Regards.

Correct, its always good to read their TOS before opting into anything. As you may find they will allow you to transfer the domain away or they may not. Every company runs different so its always best to check.

@TekHive @i7Grendel Thanks a zillion. Appreciate your efforts.

Hello,

You should always read any Terms Of Service, before clicking the little box that says that you accept the TOS in any company/provider.

- Henrique
    Reseller Hosting || Shared Hosting || Domain Names || Cloud Backup
    Affordable Hosting Provider
    Visit us at WebUp247.biz or WebUp247.net

Its not really yours. The domain is usually registered on the host domain. If you cancel the hosting package or want to transfer the domain away you have to pay a hefty fee.

If you cancel your web hosting then, It can turn into a hostage negotiation with your provider if things go sour. The hostage being your domain in this case.

I suppose you should understand that in the following way:
    as long as you pay for the web hosting services as long they pay for the domain name.

But be sure that domain name belongs to you not to the web hosting company.

It will alway better to get a full control of your own domain like namecheap and godaddy.

You can tell allot about a company over their deals. Better to deal with honest offerings. But that is just my personal opinion. I would not risk a internet business or website over that because domains today are very cheap.

Does domain name 'belong' to user or webhosting company?
    In General : the domain belogns to the user
    but the fact is the domain owned by the web hosting

Can domain name be claimed after leaving a webhosting company or they can hold on to it and cause problems?
    If you have anything prove that the domain you own you'll get your domain , or if the hosting it's reputable will give you the domain but i don't think the scam hosting will do this for you

Is it OK to go for free domain name registration offer by webhosting company?[/*]
    Not at all
    Maybe you'll see great offers you won't pay anything for the domain but you'll pay a hidden $$ for the webhosting to afford the price of domain

Is it advisable to register domain name at inexpensive rates with companies such as Namecheap and host the website with another Webhosting company? Are there any complications?
    you can go with name or godaddy for domains or namecheap you'll see great promo codes for what you looking for

* My advice for you , don't go to any web hosting not specialized in registering domain names you must go with a trusted place can respect what you need

MrCody, you are somewhat confusing the topic-starter.

1. In general domain is usually registered in the name of the user (not the web-hosting company). Never hurts to ask though.
    2. Yes, of course, you just transfer your domain to a new web-hosting provider (if the domain was register in your name p.1).
    3. In general it is usually OK. Web-hosting companies tend to provide one year free domain registration service with annual (and bigger) plans. You don't pay anything hidden. It is the cost that web-hosts absorb.
    4. When you have some clue about the DNS, you will probably take your domains to the registrar. When you are new to all this, I'd rather buy a domain from a web-hosting company because they will setup all the DNS/Host records settings for you. Some might help you with external domains, others won't and will not troubleshoot your DNS issues. So if you want to have full cycle support from your web-host, I'd go for a domain with them.
    www.VMotionHost.com
    Web Hosting, XenServer VPS, Dedicated Servers in Ireland
    24/7 technical support. Professional Service

Q.Does domain name 'belong' to user or webhosting company?
    A. Once you have purchased this domain yourself, then you are the owner. Some hosting companies provides a new domain but there is always a trick behind it.

Q.Can domain name be claimed after leaving a webhosting company or they can hold on to it and cause problems?
    A. Yes, they can be claimed or transfer but always read your hosting TOS before proceeding.

Q.Is it OK to go for free domain name registration offer by webhosting company?[/*]
    A. Your best option is to avoid this as you are most likely locked in for a period of time or have to pay a fee for domain release

Q.Is it advisable to register domain name at inexpensive rates with companies such as Namecheap and host the website with another Webhosting company? Are there any complications?
    A. This is your best option and there are no issues, matter a fact most advance users always take this route.

Hello all,

I know that the domain name attracts annual charges. I just wish to know the following:

1. Does domain name 'belong' to user or webhosting company?
    2. Can domain name be claimed after leaving a webhosting company or they can hold on to it and cause problems?
    3. Is it OK to go for free domain name registration offer by webhosting company?[/*]
    4. Is it advisable to register domain name at inexpensive rates with companies such as Namecheap and host the website with another Webhosting company? Are there any complications?

Thanks and Regards
    1) If the host is honest, the domain you buy from them will be registered under your data;
    2) If it has been registered under you, of course; just ask the new host for a domain transfer. You won't have problems unless the host you bought the domain with is not honest (i.e. they registered the domain under their details instead of yours);
    3) It's ok if you're willing to pay a pretty hefty sum, as most hosts give free domains with yearly, biennal and triennal payments - and the last two are not safe;
    4) No, on the contrary it's the safest way; you have full control over the domain. Just update the domain nameservers whenever you change host, wait the required 24-48 hours propagation and then you're good to go with your new host.
    My "ranking" is kidding.
    I'm just a humble client, here to seek help and guidance from the true experts.

[*]Does domain name 'belong' to user or webhosting company?[*]Can domain name be claimed after leaving a webhosting company or they can hold on to it and cause problems?[*]Is it OK to go for free domain name registration offer by webhosting company?[/*]
    Avoid all those 'complications' and register your domains(s) with an accredited domain registrar who will put it in your name and leave you in control of it.
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

I would also like to know if one can use the WhoIs service offered by an external registrar and not by the web hosting company?

Thanks and Regards

I would also like to know if one can use the WhoIs service offered by an external registrar and not by the web hosting company?

Thanks and Regards
    Of course, it's perfectly safe.
    Personally I use Domaintools.com Whois, I find it reliable enough; I've never used my hosts' Whois services, but for no special reason.
    My "ranking" is kidding.
    I'm just a humble client, here to seek help and guidance from the true experts.