Hawk Host fail - I need a new host

I've been with Hawk Host after a referral from here almost 7 years ago (but I can't find my old wht account info!). Their support has been going down hill over the past year or more, with longer response times online and no phone support. I have not been able to get through by telephone in many months, whereas initially they'd answer immediately, including often Tony B himself.

I have a situation now where I have a domain on my reseller account that's been disabled for almost 3 days, with no response from Hawk Host in over 48 hours. The domain was hacked and spamming, I have no problem with disabling the account, the problem is that for 48 hours they have not responded to my tickets to allow me back in to fix it. Monday morning and I now have 50 users with no email and the only contact with Hawk Host is after submitting a new ticket:

The issue is now handled by our Resource Abuse department and I'm afraid support department doesn't have access to it now.

Updates to the original ticket are ignored.

It's time to see what's out there and what my alternatives are. I have ~100 very low traffic domains, (most are used solely for email), and a few wordpress/joomla sites. I'm not sure if I have the time to mess with a VPS, so I need a reseller account with ~50GB of space, 150 cpanel accounts, WHM and web mail with unlimited POP3 accounts.

Update: finally I'm in and back in business 51 hours after my initial contact.

I'm sorry to hear this. HH are a very reputable provider here on WHT. I'm sure @TonyB will be here to shed some light on the situation shortly as to why this took so long.

Find it strange they didnt get back to you for such a long time, doesnt sound like what i usually hear from them at all. Seems they resolved your issue as well now, abide slow, care to update why it took them so long ?

i.e. was it their abuse department not available in the weekends ? as i can assume they needed to handle the case ?

Sorry to hear you're having a hard time with them, hopefully HH will reply here to shed some light on this.

Hope you get it sorted!
    Clook: Fully Managed UK Based Hosting CloudFlare Optimised Partner!
    Established 12 Years - 24/7/365 Support (<10m Avg. Response Time)
    Shared, Reseller, vServer, Dedicated and Beyond
    0845 867 2550 Sales - Visit our Website

Hello,

I misread your initial reply and thus was awaiting a further update before it was going to be enabled which came today. I would however like to point out this account has violated our terms of service on 3 occasions all of which you were informed about. The most recent one before total suspension was on October 4th which was ignored. We were slow on getting the account enabled. But we had informed you the day before of this problem and it was ignored. So the blame being entirely on us is not exactly fair.

I would advise if you're considering a new host to ask them what their abuse policies are. Do they have a three strikes rule? Do they charge you for administrative time? I know a lot are charging upwards of $200/hr in 1 hour increments for situations like this. So this one account with the 50 email users could end up costing you more than your hosting if they don't get their office spam problem under control.
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and VPS Hosting
    PHP 5.3.x & PHP 5.4.x & PHP 5.5.X & PHP 5.6.X & PHP 7.0.X Support!

Edit:
    TonyB replied to thread, it seems a user issue not a hosting issue.
    ☆☆ AskForHost Web Hosting☆☆
    ►►Buffalo NY USA, Dallas USA, Amsterdam NL EU, London UK EU based Shared and Reseller Web Hosting◄◄
    ►►
    Affordable VPS and Dedicated Server Provider◄◄

They are not responsible to check your client accounts for spam, etc., it's your responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Askforhost-AJ View Post
    Edit:
    TonyB replied to thread, it seems a user issue not a hosting issue.
    We were still slow replying to a ticket. But no ones perfect unfortunately. With just hundred tickets a day and 99.99% success rate you still are going to miss three a month. If it's 99.9% then it's more like 1 a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeambrose3 View Post
    They are not responsible to check your client accounts for spam, etc., it's your responsibility.
    It's difficult for a reseller to do that. A reseller just needs a provider who isn't going to be terminating their reseller for violations. A single account being disabled vs all of them is always the best option.
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and VPS Hosting
    PHP 5.3.x & PHP 5.4.x & PHP 5.5.X & PHP 5.6.X & PHP 7.0.X Support!

As I mentioned, I have no problem with the account being shut down. My problem was with the delayed response in enabling me to do something about it, and being unable to contact anyone via phone, live help or even the support system.

Again, I agree shutting down the account was necessary, I would just like some contact with someone in support in a reasonable time period.

Shutting down an account 3 times over 7 years seems quite reasonable, to be honest, especially if it's on a shared server. That's far from excessive.

Anyways, glad things got worked out for you
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

Quote Originally Posted by tmonkey6 View Post
    As I mentioned, I have no problem with the account being shut down. My problem was with the delayed response in enabling me to do something about it, and being unable to contact anyone via phone, live help or even the support system.

Again, I agree shutting down the account was necessary, I would just like some contact with someone in support in a reasonable time period.
    I wouldn't expect an abuse/resource usage department to be available over the weekends.

It's fairly normal for abuse and other related departments not to be 24/7/365.

Not that it makes you feel any better. The best thing to do is to avoid the issues to begin with if possible.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

If the suspension is 24/7/365 then their response team should be available 24/7/365 for the customer to help them solve the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    I wouldn't expect an abuse/resource usage department to be available over the weekends.

Not that it makes you feel any better. The best thing to do is to avoid the issues to begin with if possible.
    VimHost█ Providing Web Hosting since 2003: 13 Years of Dedication to our customers ~ Premium Hosting in Canada
    Email Hosting | RTMP Hosting | FFMPEG Hosting

It depend upon the company how they create reasonable reseller hosting department

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post

You may do it differently Mike, however, some companies actually incorporate "Support" in to "Abuse" matters, so that they can be addressed accordingly.

Would you not love an "Abuse" case to arrive where a customer is spamming like there is no tomorrow, and have to wait for the weekend to pass before the matter is addressed...? This would allow plenty of time for the server IP to become blacklisted, not something I would like to happen.

What if the data-center also contacted the provider to address an abuse case, the usual time-frame is 24 to 48 hours to address which is 2 days max, what if it came at close of business Friday?

It needs to be addressed and we had done the same incorporated support in to abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by lonea View Post
    If the suspension is 24/7/365 then their response team should be available 24/7/365 for the customer to help them solve the issue.
    I've had the same thought before but it really just depends on the provider and how they do things.

I'm not for/against it in this instance as it's not my place to tell another business how to run but simply pointing out that it's quite possible the reason for the delay was that the issue was outside of their abuse hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow-Sean View Post
    You may do it differently Mike, however, some companies actually incorporate "Support" in to "Abuse" matters, so that they can be addressed accordingly.
    Some companies answer tickets with their toes while standing on their hands - and it is of no more or less matter to me.

Would you not love an "Abuse" case to arrive where a customer is spamming like there is no tomorrow, and have to wait for the weekend to pass before the matter is addressed...? This would allow plenty of time for the server IP to become blacklisted, not something I would like to happen.
    There's a huge difference between monitoring servers for abuse and acting accordingly and having representatives on-hand 24/7 for interacting with customers that have abuse issues.

I don't know any providers that don't monitor 24/7 and that don't respond to those monitors 24/7 but I tend to stay away from the 'world for pennies' crowd.

What if the data-center also contacted the provider to address an abuse case, the usual time-frame is 24 to 48 hours to address which is 2 days max, what if it came at close of business Friday?
    That depends entirely upon the relationship between the facility and the provider using their services and the severity of the issue. I wouldn't want to speculate wildly based upon a hypothetical situation.

It needs to be addressed and we had done the same incorporated support in to abuse.
    Good for you.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/