reviewing of WHMXtra

Hello All friends,

could you give me idea with this software call WHMXtra? anyone use this?

your idea and comment are very important to me because I just start with this software.

Best Regards,
    Steven.
    (2012-Currently), OVH French,SoYouStar self manage hosting.
    (2010-2012), Hosted with ServInt as VPS.
    (2008-2009), Hosted with Mochahost as Reseller and upgrade to VPS.
    (April 2007 - 2008), Hosted with datapacket as windows hosting reseller

I own a license. At first it looked fantastic. Then it was obvious that nothing really works.

Its no longer installed...

What did you find that didn't work? In our testing of it it mostly worked fine.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

In my experience, just about all of the misc plugins had issues upon trying them. The WHMXTRA PLUGINS worked ok. FFMPEG never installed correctly using whmxtra. GD libraries and image magick didn't install correctly either using whmxtra. While I haven't tried everything it has to offer, the things I did try seemed to be a hit-or-miss experience.

They have been busy making it better I hope. But after it singlehandedly rendered a server useless without restore, I retired whmxtra from the lineup of plugins on production servers.

I'll fire it up again when I can get another server that won't immediately go into production mode and see if things have improved.

At one time I was thrilled to have it. It's a great product as long as it saves time instead of costing time to repair and redo failed attempts manually. I'd really test the heck out of the cpanel plugin for end users before using it. It was responsible for a nightmare I had. Partially my user's fault and partially mine for not testing it completely to see what it would do and how to fix what it does.

I found the same thing. I don't use it anymore and have no need to. Reviewing the changelog it seems most the issues / broken functions have now been fixed, though.

When did you last use the product?

Quote Originally Posted by 8inghost View Post
    I own a license. At first it looked fantastic. Then it was obvious that nothing really works.

Its no longer installed...

I bought it but I haven't really installed it. All I know is WHMXtra has their owner or developer changed. Hopefully this software development will stay active.

They are very active in development. If you have not used it in the last few weeks, than I do not feel it is fair at all to say its not working.
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    They are very active in development. If you have not used it in the last few weeks, than I do not feel it is fair at all to say its not working.
    You're absolutely right about that. It has been longer than a few weeks. I will also, with renewed interest, re-install it to obtain a more recent experience.

@8inghost
    "In my experience, just about all of the misc plugins had issues upon trying them."

I would like to remind you we do not make the 3rd party plugins such as Softaculous, WHMSonic etc. We simply run their installation commands provided by them. Therefore we really have nothing to do with whether they work on a server or not. We try and test and point out bugs to them when we can but cannot spend all our time testing and troubleshooting other companies software.

"FFMPEG never installed correctly using whmxtra. GD libraries and image magick didn't install correctly either using whmxtra."

FFMPEG can be hit and miss on some CloudLinux servers. Non CL it works fine on but with CL it only works about 70% of the time (we're working on a new one to up that %) but it's hard to troubleshoot. We've installed 10 times on 10 systems running exactly the same software. But 3 out of 10 times it'll fail for no obvious reason while the other 7 work fine. But as I said, we're working on it. As for GD and Image Magick, cpanel wrote the original scripts those 2 features used so out of our control. However we recently changed the way those two features are installed to use a different method. They are much faster to install and more reliable nowadays. We'll be doing the same to ClamAV shortly.

"They have been busy making it better I hope. But after it singlehandedly rendered a server useless without restore"

Could you please elaborate? Nothing in Xtra will kill a server short of using it's file manager or shell commander to rm -rf root. Everything else in Xtra can be undone or removed, a server restore shouldn't be required due to anything our software can do.

Also as Ethernet Servers mentioned, a lot of things that didn't work correctly have since been fixed. There's a couple minor glitches due to recent cpanel changes (namely our remote control feature) but we're testing updates to that and releasing them soon.

As Shyuan pointed out there have been changes lately. Well not lately, the changes were made over a year ago, just not announced. Not so much a new developer as a minor ownership change. CPSkins used to own half the company while I owned the other half. As of last summer (2012) I now own the whole company and brought in another partner to help take over some of the workload on the business end so the other programmers and I have more time to do more features, fixes and updates.

That is the reason for all the dev updates this past year. William is really busy and didn't have time so I was stuck doing everything, now I have help so I can focus on the coding and organizing new features rather than worrying about running everything myself.
    Tara Roberts
    www.whmxtra.com

I'm a fan of it personally, can't go wrong for the price.
    Really does save a lot of time on new server setups.

Few years ago it wasn't great, but I've seen big improvements.
    Now I'd just like to see more scripts.

Quote Originally Posted by iexo View Post
    Now I'd just like to see more scripts.
    We take requests Just drop a note in the helpdesk and we'll see what we can do. Just for the record current features being release soon are features to review root and users bash history, ssh logins (including failed logins) and our Sub Reseller Module plugin for creating Master/Alpha reseller accounts.

If there's anything specific you need please do let us know. It's much easier for us to code when we know what our users want. It's sometimes hard to get that kind of feedback.
    Tara Roberts
    www.whmxtra.com

Quote Originally Posted by whmxtra View Post
    @8inghost
    "In my experience, just about all of the misc plugins had issues upon trying them."

I would like to remind you we do not make the 3rd party plugins such as Softaculous, WHMSonic etc. We simply run their installation commands provided by them. Therefore we really have nothing to do with whether they work on a server or not. We try and test and point out bugs to them when we can but cannot spend all our time testing and troubleshooting other companies software.

"FFMPEG never installed correctly using whmxtra. GD libraries and image magick didn't install correctly either using whmxtra."

FFMPEG can be hit and miss on some CloudLinux servers. Non CL it works fine on but with CL it only works about 70% of the time (we're working on a new one to up that %) but it's hard to troubleshoot. We've installed 10 times on 10 systems running exactly the same software. But 3 out of 10 times it'll fail for no obvious reason while the other 7 work fine. But as I said, we're working on it. As for GD and Image Magick, cpanel wrote the original scripts those 2 features used so out of our control. However we recently changed the way those two features are installed to use a different method. They are much faster to install and more reliable nowadays. We'll be doing the same to ClamAV shortly.

"They have been busy making it better I hope. But after it singlehandedly rendered a server useless without restore"

Could you please elaborate? Nothing in Xtra will kill a server short of using it's file manager or shell commander to rm -rf root. Everything else in Xtra can be undone or removed, a server restore shouldn't be required due to anything our software can do.

Also as Ethernet Servers mentioned, a lot of things that didn't work correctly have since been fixed. There's a couple minor glitches due to recent cpanel changes (namely our remote control feature) but we're testing updates to that and releasing them soon.

As Shyuan pointed out there have been changes lately. Well not lately, the changes were made over a year ago, just not announced. Not so much a new developer as a minor ownership change. CPSkins used to own half the company while I owned the other half. As of last summer (2012) I now own the whole company and brought in another partner to help take over some of the workload on the business end so the other programmers and I have more time to do more features, fixes and updates.

That is the reason for all the dev updates this past year. William is really busy and didn't have time so I was stuck doing everything, now I have help so I can focus on the coding and organizing new features rather than worrying about running everything myself.
    Very nice to see words from appropriate person, otherwise people would usually blindly take others' opinions and decide themselves whether the software is worth trying or not.

Thanks, another good thing to come from the ownership change is I can actually have a presence on forums like this, never had time before.

8inghost did have some issues, not quite how he described but fair to say he did have some problems. Those very problems are what prompted a total review of our program (which is still in progress) and all the recent fixes etc. We take all customer issues seriously and when he had problems we started looking into everything and re writing where we could to improve things. There's lots more coming this year and beyond and we intend to keep the dev train rolling for many more years on top of the 9 1/2 we've been going already.

It can be difficult sometimes, once in awhile something breaks and nobody bothers to even mention it, so unless we find something by chance it could take a long time to fix it. We've changed the way we do things now (again largely due to the problems 8inghost and a few others had) and we now review existing features more frequently to ensure that anything broken gets fixed as soon as it can be.
    Tara Roberts
    www.whmxtra.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shyuan View Post
    Very nice to see words from appropriate person, otherwise people would usually blindly take others' opinions and decide themselves whether the software is worth trying or not.
    I agree. Negative reviews, especially without dispute, can really hurt. To see an official response is a good sign indeed.

I'm super stoked if everything works as intended. It looked very promising and I learned a lot using it so it certainly wasn't all for naught. I admit, my opinion is a bit dated. It was at least honest. I'm really glad whmxtra is moving along again in a positive direction and looking forward to playing with it again.

Quote Originally Posted by whmxtra View Post
    @8inghost
    "
    FFMPEG can be hit and miss on some CloudLinux servers. Non CL it works fine on but with CL it only works about 70% of the time (we're working on a new one to up that %) but it's hard to troubleshoot. We've installed 10 times on 10 systems running exactly the same software. But 3 out of 10 times it'll fail for no obvious reason while the other 7 work fine. "
    Talk to us (CloudLinux) - but it really sounds like you are hitting memory limits.
    Igor Seletskiy
    CEO @ Cloud Linux Inc
    http://www.cloudlinux.com
    CloudLinux -- The OS that can make your Shared Hosting stable

Thanks, I'll probably email you soon, just finishing up another update for Xtra first. I don't think it's memory limits as all the test servers are exactly the same and it will work on 7 then fail on 3. Then we try again and it'll fail on a different 3 lol. It's a mystery. But will email you with the details later this week.
    Tara Roberts
    www.whmxtra.com

I don't desire to discredit anyone, but my woes did not stem from cloudlinux. I haven't tried cloudlinux yet because of the pricing model. I think its a fantastic product though despite my limited exposure to it. I've been using CSF mainly to limit resource abuse but still salivate at the prospect to use a much better solution for resource control like cloudlinux.

I don't desire to discredit anyone, but my woes did not stem from cloudlinux. I haven't tried cloudlinux yet because of the pricing model. I think its a fantastic product though despite my limited exposure to it. I've been using CSF mainly to limit resource abuse but still salivate at the prospect to use a much better solution for resource control like cloudlinux.
    There is more to salivate over than resource control -- the added security.

For that too! Although there are many ways to accomplish security. There seems to be a limited number of solutions that address resource control. A one stop shop is appealing though. I just prefer to control expenses on a basis that isn't based on time.

This is why I chose to buy whmxtra. An owned license is extremely desirable.

While I must, on occassion, pay on a subscription model, I don't like it and it can sometimes result on my refraining from using certain peices of valuable software.

Putting out enormous amounts of money every month is second to larger capital that can recoup over time.

Although there are many ways to accomplish security.
    Wrong. There is not another solution that does the security aspect that cloudlinux has (cagefs) for cPanel servers. Nothing compares, plain and simple.

Hello All, I'm very thanks for your active discuss about this topic. I think very thing came from the ground. This is what i believe. so WHMXtra they have their own future development also grow up. I will purchase one for trying. If anything new I will update in here.

finally, thanks you all so much for your ideas.

Best Regards,
    Steve.
    (2012-Currently), OVH French,SoYouStar self manage hosting.
    (2010-2012), Hosted with ServInt as VPS.
    (2008-2009), Hosted with Mochahost as Reseller and upgrade to VPS.
    (April 2007 - 2008), Hosted with datapacket as windows hosting reseller