Veteran to hosting - but NEW to Cloud - Looking for advice

Hello all,

I've been around web hosting, and dedicated servers in one way or another since 1997. Back then it was dedicated servers that I would build and co-locate at various budget priced co-location facilities. Once that kind of went out of fashion, it then became renting dedicated machines along with a chunk of bandwidth from various providers.

My need for heavy equipment and bandwidth kind of ended around 2005, and have just been maintaining a shared hosting account for random junk that I still host. So a little budget cPanel provider was all I needed, and that suited me just fine.

Fast forward to today, and my web shared hosting is coming up on renewal, and the host (which will remain nameless) is increasing their price 5x. So needless to say, I don't plan on sticking around.

I have a few new ventures I've been kicking around, which could stand to benefit from something a bit more dedicated, and a Cloud Instance has been on my mind for awhile now. And while having a bunch of experience with dedicated machines and shared hosting, I have ZERO experience with Cloud.

So here are a few quick questions I do have:

1. With a Cloud instance, are you basically just getting interface to a bare "machine" with no operating system?
    2. Assuming #1 is true, do you then just drop an ISO image of your choice and install?
    - My flavor of choice for local testing is http://www.turnkeylinux.org/lampstack -- but any other suggestions are appreciated.
    3. I'm assuming that you do not get WHM or cPanel with almost any of the Cloud hosts?
    4. I have been looking at DigitalOcean - https://www.digitalocean.com/pricing
    - Any personal experience with these guys?

Thanks in advance for any direction, very much appreciated!!

- kgibbons

1.Same as with regular VPS
    2.Same as with regular VPS
    3.Same as with regular VPS
    4.Growing too fast, young and inexperienced, meant for developers, wouldn't run a business with them

most of cloud server in market is just same like vps
    digitalocean seem cant be categoried as cloud, they didnt use san

> I have been looking at DigitalOcean -
    > - Any personal experience with these guys?

While I can't answer your other questions, my 5c about Digitalocean.

As a new user to Digitalocean, I must say they have impressed me so far. It does not seen like they are offering cloud hosting, unless the SDD's they use are on a cloud (also possible), but their VPS's, or droplets as they call them, are lightning fast.

I've had cause for some interaction with the support team regarding a severe issue outside both of their and my control. It's how a support team handles these issues. I'll give them a 10/10 so far.

My other VPS provider ended up on Spamhaus's blacklists for not resolving spam and bot issues with legitimate business emails being blocked. As such I bit the bullet based upon recent experiences at Digitalocean and my previous provider, moved my business website to a droplet at Digitalocean. Their network to NY is about as fast as my ex provider to the UK. I'll be testing the Amsterdam location as soon as they have more capacity there.

Digitalocean does offer the ability to migrate VPS's to different locations, backups at 20% of the VPS's value etc.

Well worthwhile testing/investigating @ $5.00/m

Quote Originally Posted by Desm View Post
    > I have been looking at DigitalOcean -
    > - Any personal experience with these guys?

While I can't answer your other questions, my 5c about Digitalocean.

As a new user to Digitalocean, I must say they have impressed me so far. It does not seen like they are offering cloud hosting, unless the SDD's they use are on a cloud (also possible), but their VPS's, or droplets as they call them, are lightning fast.

I've had cause for some interaction with the support team regarding a severe issue outside both of their and my control. It's how a support team handles these issues. I'll give them a 10/10 so far.

My other VPS provider ended up on Spamhaus's blacklists for not resolving spam and bot issues with legitimate business emails being blocked. As such I bit the bullet based upon recent experiences at Digitalocean and my previous provider, moved my business website to a droplet at Digitalocean. Their network to NY is about as fast as my ex provider to the UK. I'll be testing the Amsterdam location as soon as they have more capacity there.

Digitalocean does offer the ability to migrate VPS's to different locations, backups at 20% of the VPS's value etc.

Well worthwhile testing/investigating @ $5.00/m
    Thanks for the very detailed reply Desm! Before your reply even came in, I signed up for their $5.00 monthly just to give it a shot, and setup a couple of "droplets". First one using CentOS, second one using Ubuntu.

It's funny, I've been away from the world of having to self-admin my own servers, and have gotten very spoiled with cPanel and letting someone else worry about server exploits, constantly keeping software up to date, etc..

I was actually surprised to see that their default CentOS & Ubuntu images really offer no pre-built LAMP stack options. But still easy enough to get Apache/MySQL/PHP installed in a matter of minutes once the droplet was created.

I'm leaning toward shared hosting again, only because I don't feel like dealing with the admin work involved in my own VPS. So I think it's off the the "Web Hosting Offers" forum to see what's out there

Thanks again for the info!