cPanel + WHMCS for FTP only Service

Hi,

I am running an FTP file hosting service. I used cPanel/WHM so I could use WHMCS for the billing software.

I used cPanel because in order to make WHMCS you need to use a control panel.

My Question:
    Is there a way to disable Apache for only user accounts and when a new account is created to only give them an empty user directory?

Thanks!

Hi,

Yes its possible. You'd just set up a custom feature list in WHM, assign that to your FTP only packages (so that clients can only access the required features in cPanel i.e. file manager, ftp accounts etc). You'd also want to set all features other than FTP to 0 to prevent creation of databases, addon domains etc.

If you specify an invalid domain for the accounts then this would prevent the account being used via HTTP.

Maybe there is a better way, but this would achieve what you're asking.
    | Galaxy Web Solutions Ltd
    | cPanel, cPanel Reseller, Master Reseller, Shoutcast/Icecast + Shoutcast/Icecast Reseller Solutions
    | Cheltenham based servers housed in our own private rackspace. Server Colocation & VPS also available!
    | GalaxyWebSolutions.com | 0800 61 24689 | 01454 620 217

That worked perfectly! Just what I was looking for. Now one more question. Is there a way to auto create an empty user directory?

Right now they have Public_HTML / WWW / MAIL in the folders. I want them to be blank. Without access to posting a website.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky-GWS View Post
    Hi,

Yes its possible. You'd just set up a custom feature list in WHM, assign that to your FTP only packages (so that clients can only access the required features in cPanel i.e. file manager, ftp accounts etc). You'd also want to set all features other than FTP to 0 to prevent creation of databases, addon domains etc.

If you specify an invalid domain for the accounts then this would prevent the account being used via HTTP.

Maybe there is a better way, but this would achieve what you're asking.

You would want to create a new reseller user (assuming you have your own vps/dedi), and modify the reseller skel directory to not have a public_html folder.

But the other folders would be needed.

It'd be better using a random domain that they can't access in my opinion, or a subdomain that doesn't resolve to the server the accounts are on.
    | cPanel, cPanel Reseller, Master Reseller, Shoutcast/Icecast + Shoutcast/Icecast Reseller Solutions
    | Cheltenham based servers housed in our own private rackspace. Server Colocation & VPS also available!

I have 3 racks of storage servers at the new Colostore datacenter. Each sub domain points to right server so I will need to keep that. I can remove the public_html folders. Will that stop from being able to host websites under that account?

Thanks Again Man!

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky-GWS View Post
    You would want to create a new reseller user (assuming you have your own vps/dedi), and modify the reseller skel directory to not have a public_html folder.

But the other folders would be needed.

It'd be better using a random domain that they can't access in my opinion, or a subdomain that doesn't resolve to the server the accounts are on.

The only way I am aware of would be to specify invalid domains for the account when its created... or if the servers are only hosting FTP accounts then you can disable HTTP in service manager in WHM.

What about blocking port 80 for only some clients?

Any ideas on that?

Again thanks for the help!