Making a site similar to Myyearbook/Facebook

At the moment using wordpress but not seeing any themes capable of this. Anyways wanting to find something that will make me capable of making a site that is kind of like a community, or at least how it used to be when it was know as "myyearbook.com"

Anyways, if any of you could help me get on the right track of doing this, and do happen to know some premade ones, that would also give me the option to "heavily edit." I would greatly appreciate it.
    Also in case you do not know what those sites are, I'm basically looking to make a site where;

1. People can create their own account.
    2. Tabs where everyone's updated post is displayed so it's easy to communicate and meet others.
    3. Able to post videos, pictures, and music on your page.
    4. Able to add friends, block others, private message, comment on other's status'.

Again, thank you.

I have seen a few scripts around, some between $1k -$5k that are social networking scripts. That said, I still think that you need to allow room in your budget for hiring someone to make it unique, either by adding new features (that arent out of the box) or by having a custom, more unique theme made for you.

There is a script available here: http://www.alstrasoft.com/efriends.htm

(note, that by linking I am not necessarily making a recommendation)

There are a number of free and paid social network scripts at Hotscripts.
    http://www.hotscripts.com/category/s...al-networking/

Quote Originally Posted by Techno View Post
    There are a number of free and paid social network scripts at Hotscripts.
    http://www.hotscripts.com/category/s...al-networking/
    Ok great. So can I add this to wordpress? Or what would I need to do to make these scripts work?
    Last edited by itsterminology; 10-05-2013 at 02:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by itsterminology View Post
    Ok great. So can I add this to wordpress? Or what would I need to do to make these scripts work?
    I believe these will be standalone. If you need it to be integrated into the Wordpress platform it will need some custom work. I don't see a need to though.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneZSolutions View Post
    I believe these will be standalone. If you need it to be integrated into the Wordpress platform it will need some custom work. I don't see a need to though.
    Sorry this may be a noob question but what do you mean when you say standalone? You mean when these people have their own site created, and you really can't edit the code at all or?

http://blueboxphp.net/premium/indexo.php
    Here is a facebook clone I found, around $99-189 which allows you to have ads, or not have ads, etc. But it seems like using this, I will not have the capability of editing the code too much to customize the web to my liking. IE: not making it an exact FB clone.

Sorry this may be a noob question but what do you mean when you say standalone? You mean when these people have their own site created, and you really can't edit the code at all or?

http://blueboxphp.net/premium/indexo.php
    Here is a facebook clone I found, around $99-189 which allows you to have ads, or not have ads, etc. But it seems like using this, I will not have the capability of editing the code too much to customize the web to my liking. IE: not making it an exact FB clone.
    By standalone I mean the "clone script" will likely run on it's own without having any integration into Wordpress required. Is there any particular reason why you may need Wordpress? Unless you're looking for a Wordpress plugin that enables your wordpress site to become a social media type site.

I am sure these scripts can be edited and customized.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneZSolutions View Post
    By standalone I mean the "clone script" will likely run on it's own without having any integration into Wordpress required. Is there any particular reason why you may need Wordpress? Unless you're looking for a Wordpress plugin that enables your wordpress site to become a social media type site.

I am sure these scripts can be edited and customized.
    Ahh ok, and no I don't really require wordpress. The only reason I'm worried that they may not be able to be customized, is because that facebook clone script, had difference price options, where some limited you from adding ads, which makes me assume that you can't really edit the script too much.

Have you look at phpfox, dolphin 7 by boonex, elgg? With wordpress use buddypress

Quote Originally Posted by NoHelpHost View Post
    Have you look at phpfox, dolphin 7 by boonex, elgg? With wordpress use buddypress
    Are those all fully customizable? Meaning could I change the layout completely, choose where ads go, choose the tab location, colors, font or particular layout size etc?

Here's the facebook layout I've seen
    http://www.scriptcopy.com/out/2502/siteurl
    You'll see he has difference prices, but again when I see stuff like this, it makes me think it's not fully customizable.

Yes if you know your html/css should be fine dolphin is open source so you could try it without to purchase it. Here is the script running on my website mtlfinest.com

Re: Making a site similar to Myyearbook/Facebook

Try using buddy press with WordPress, it's better than dolphin, elgg, phpfox etc. For much higher customizability, security and support you could use drupal.
    www.wizardconcepts.com | High quality web design and development agency - India
    Drupal CMS based websites with included hosting & long term support | Awesome Value

So I downloaded buddy press. However I'm having trouble finding themes I can buy that are large like meetme. I was wanting something as I stated above where there's a community such as forum posting, or everyone tab where you can see the latest update on statuses and/or post. Also was wanting to find one where profiles are highly customizable, where you can post statuses, have a picture galary, and upload videos. At themeforest right now browsing around.

Anyways, another question is, if I do happen to purchase a theme from themeforest, would I be able to add on to the code, to have some other features I'd like? Thank you again everyone.

█ █ █

Quote Originally Posted by rits View Post
    Ty that actually looks very nice. I'm assuming I can heavily edit it. For example, change the recent post that shows by friends, to just show everyone who recently post.

Ty that actually looks very nice. I'm assuming I can heavily edit it. For example, change the recent post that shows by friends, to just show everyone who recently post.
    http://www.phpfox.com/faq/
    No, not one bit of it is! The phpFox source code is 100% non-encrypted, giving you the power to customize the script without limitation.

Always a good feature to have
    █ █ █

Quote Originally Posted by rits View Post
    http://www.phpfox.com/faq/
    No, not one bit of it is! The phpFox source code is 100% non-encrypted, giving you the power to customize the script without limitation.

Always a good feature to have
    Tyvm! So is this a theme, or plugin for wordpress? And if it's a plugin does that mean I'll need my own theme?

Here is a handy link to some popular Social Networking apps (that many hosts support as the link is to the popular Installer script Softaculous). The reason I give the link is that it has good info and often demo versions you can conveniently click on. http://www.softaculous.com/apps/socialnetworking

Of course, just installing an app isn't enough. Be sure and have the app hardened by either your host or someone else knowledgeable.

NOTE: I just noticed the Demos are Offline. This happens a few times a week (for several hours) and for a few minutes several times a day (script maintenance and resetting due to folks messing around). So check back later today or tomorrow.
    Last edited by gPowerHost; 10-06-2013 at 12:46 PM. Reason: resource is offline note