Confuse whether you should upgrade to vps or dedi from reseller? Read this first

In this post i will give you a heads up if you are thinking about moving from reseller to vps or dedi... or you are just starting out and confuse whether to go for reseller or vps or dedi...

Before i start please excuse my bad english as i'm not a native speaker..

In todays shared hosting business most of us hosting provider usually have these feature:
    • Cloudflare
    • R1/Jetserver
    • Spam Protection
    • Rvskin + sitebuilder
    • Litespeed
    • Cloudlinux
    • Etc...

Usually when you are at a good hosting provider those features are free when you sign up for reseller package..
    So before moving to vps or dedicated you might want to consider the cost for each and every one of them..
    because in vps or dedi those features are usually come as an addon..

If you are new to this business i would highly recommend that you go with reseller first, but if you think you have enough resource to go big then fire away

Regards,

Andhika
      0 Not allowed!

To be honest I expect a bit more when I see the title of this thread. You could have been a lot more descriptive in pointing out the reason for a reseller to consider a move to VPS or Dedicated box.

The important moment is when the reseller feel his account in the shared server is restricting him from expanding his business to different directions due to the restrictions imposed on the shared environment.

There could be various reasons to give him this feel and you could have explained those too.

I would also say that a reseller account is the best option to start a hosting business if you are not technically a wizard in managing your own server. There are many providers who offer support for your customers and provide you with a lot of freebies and features that would help you to cut down your cost in the initial stages. Finding the better upstream provider to relay on is considered to be the foundation stone for your success.
      3 Not allowed!

Being with a reseller account also has its own disadvantages.

• You cannot control your server
    • You have several limitation upon your own hosting
    • You cannot change the locations of your hosting accounts

I think it is sometimes better to start with VPS, because you don't have the above restrictions.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by HostInspects View Post
    • You cannot change the locations of your hosting accounts
    What exactly do you mean by the above?

Quote Originally Posted by HostInspects View Post
    I think it is sometimes better to start with VPS, because you don't have the above restrictions
    As the OP said, there are additional costs associated when purchasing a VPS and provisioning it for shared hosting purpose. If one has the budget, time and server management skills they can dive directly into what you suggested. Otherwise, starting with a reseller is a good choice.
      0 Not allowed!

One reason why a reseller would want to upgrade to is the root access. It becomes so much of a necessity after you have a decent number of clients that you have no other option but to upgrade.

But yes, you probably want to offer the same features you were offering from your reseller hosting. That becomes a concern in terms of cost. A server itself isn't much costly. But a server with all the features your reseller hosting has is going to cost big compared to that of the reseller hosting.

When you want to install the same software on a VPS with a spec that is required for those software, the difference between the cost of a VPS and the cost of a server becomes nominal. This is why a VPS is never recommended to upgrade to from a reseller. If you feel that you are not getting enough profit to move to a dedi but enough to move to a VPS, then you are not yet ready for an upgrade. Don't rush, the money will come eventually and when you are ready go for it.

One other thing, many tend to migrate the customers from the reseller account to the server when they upgrade from a reseller. Don't do it. There will be hiccups with a server when you are starting new. Let your existing customers be in peace and put only the new ones to the server. After you are confident enough that your server is good and safe, create a two year plan to migrate your reseller hosting clients to the server. You'll have less complain and less issues to deal with.
      1 Not allowed!

Understand your points as addons will increase your price. That's something I haven't seen discussed here.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by BatamWebHosting View Post
    If you are new to this business i would highly recommend that you go with reseller first
    Why do you recommend one should start with reselling first? We can't treat this as if we are a client and want to scale as we need more resources or want to spend more. It isn't nearly that simple. We are service providers and our clients depend on us to manage their account, data, and support as competently, professional, and securely as possible. It is a very difficult industry to get into, and there is no room to be fooling around, or trying to "play hosting company". If you don't have at a minimum, a couple hundred dollars to dish out each month, as well as there being staff that know how to run a server and business, it would be a shame to be a customer for that company.
      0 Not allowed!

We all know vps and dedicated has more functions to manage your server and clients accounts

Reseller is an excellent choice for starters even if it has a limits
      0 Not allowed!

I think the subject here is too broad to have a definitive, right answer, or best solution.
    It all comes down to a million factors:
    - do you have the skills to manage your own VPS or Dedicated
    - have you taken all the costs into consideration
    - is the revenue generated from a VPS/Dedicated setup allows you to maximize your existing margin on Reseller package
    - will the associated costs go up
    - are you simply growing up out of the existing plan, or you are confident about what you are doing and expanding
    - and soo much more.

For many people Reseller hosting is just a way to earn a few extra dollars (dozens, hundreds), without extensive input. Of course, you can dedicate a lot of time to traffic generation and advertisement, but your involvement is still limited, at least from the technical perspective.

The hosting industry is saturated, tough, demanding. So running VPS or Dedicated would also mean support needs to be up to par. As per all the add-ons - sure, it will require additional investment. But again, are we talking about a person trying to get a few more dollars, or a start-up with minimal budgets?

And when we get to SLA then things get really interesting, because whether you want to have one or not, and what you want to to be really affects every other aspect.
      0 Not allowed!