Leaseweb: Anyone had this issue with leaseweb with upgrading /adding HD to server

So I got their quote to add 500Gig drive is 5 euro month plus 49 euro setup.
    Turns out setup is just putting it in and support tells me:

"You can check this by issuing a 'fdisk -l' command on the command line. The new disk is accessed through /dev/sdb. You will need to partition, format and mount the disk before you can write data to it.
    Is this normal practice for hosters? Slap the drive on and tell customer to do the rest? I have other boxes with webair, cavecreek and never had to do that.

Sounds completely reasonable to do it this way. Only you know how would you like to have this HDD partitioned and where to have it mounted?
    To partition / mount it for you, they would need instructions from you and access to your server (i.e. password). Is this a managed server?

Its additional drive to whats already there. I want it same way as everything else to resolve "out of space" issue.
    Server is unmanaged but I figured if they charge 49 euros to set it up it should be ready to go.

Do you know how to partition a drive?

For unmanaged servers like LeaseWeb, yeah, it's quite normal. It'll take you about five minutes to format and mount, a quick Google should turn up countless guides.

I have admin who does it.
    Im not knocking down on leaseweb, just wondering if this is standard for webhosts to do it this way.

I wouldn't like it if they wanted access to my unmanaged server to partition it for me.

The 49 euro setup is for the remote hands to install it. Did you require downtime to replace it? If so then it probably wasn't just hotswappable and they had to go inside of the server. That price for 30mins-1hr of work isn't extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by aeris View Post
    For unmanaged servers like LeaseWeb, yeah, it's quite normal. It'll take you about five minutes to format and mount, a quick Google should turn up countless guides.
    Like I said, I was surprised that installation fee didn't include 5 minute job. I'm not a server guy, so I don't risk touching any configs or formatting drives.
    Right now my admin can't even reach the server because its been down for few hours I hope this is not related to new HD upgrade

Yes it is normal. The hosting provider added the hard drive for you and it is up to you how to partition it and mount the filesystem.
    QHoster.com - Web Hosting with DDoS Protection | Shared & Reseller in Europe/North America
    Linux/Windows RDP VPS 13 Locations : UK, US (5 states), Mexico, Canada, Bulgaria, Lithuania,
    Italy, France, Germany,Netherlands, Switzerland, Rissia, Singapore | OpenVPN/PPTP Enabled
    INSTANT | PayPal, Skrill, Payza, Bitcoin, WebMoney, Perfect Money, Ukash, CashU, paysafecard

Ok, thanks for your replies. Now all I need is get it up and running. looks like its been down since midnight.