Has anyone used Western Digital Red drives in their PowerEdge Servers?

Well just like the title states, I am looking to see if anyone has used Western Digital Red drives, and any comments positive or negative, in their Dell PowerEdge servers. I am looking for anything comparable to a Seagate Constellation drive.

I'm looking at replacing a few drives in some older servers and would like to bump up the capacity if we can find some cheap drives.

Also does this drive have the functionality that will keep it in a Perc raid array and not drop out like some other desktop drives do?

We have two servers that have Seagate Barracuda 1TB drives and I think in almost 2 years one drive has dropped out once, but want to avoid this if possible.

Thanks,
    Nick

WD reds are made for NAS storage, means enterprise level reliability but runs on slower speed 5400 rpm. So you can't expect fast speed like black or REs , however it does have high reliability and low power consumption. I have 2 x wd red in dell server Perc raid 1 .. so far so good for past few weeks till now. I strongly believe they will be ok for years to come. WD give 5 years warranty on it so they are confident and stand by their product, you can trust it a lot more than others who give just 2 to 3 years warranty..

Quote Originally Posted by AsiaServerHost View Post
    WD reds are made for NAS storage, means enterprise level reliability but runs on slower speed 5400 rpm. So you can't expect fast speed like black or REs , however it does have high reliability and low power consumption. I have 2 x wd red in dell server Perc raid 1 .. so far so good for past few weeks till now. I strongly believe they will be ok for years to come. WD give 5 years warranty on it so they are confident and stand by their product, you can trust it a lot more than others who give just 2 to 3 years warranty..
    The RED's actually only have 3 year warranty. The Blacks have 5 years though.

We actually have 2 servers running 8 x 3TB WD RED's that are used as our backup servers. So far its been about a year and have not had 1 drive fail or drop out of our raids. They use something similar to TLER, WD claims its the same as TLER however many on here claim its not quite the same but has the same effects and should still protect you from a drive dropping out. Many compare the drives to WD blue drives but with TLER and 1 year extra warranty but WD claims the drives are built for better reliability and 24/7 usage. All in all, I dont think you would be disappointed going with them. But by all means I wouldn't use them in high intensive servers like VPS nodes or big web servers.
    SolaDrive - Enterprise Managed Solutions
    Specializing in Managed SSD VPS & Dedicated Servers in US & UK
    Rated #1 Provider at Top 20 VPS Providers For Performance
    Visit us at SolaDrive.com

npolite,

We were doing a test with 1TB Red drives running on Perc h310 controllers out of 6 drives two failed immediately out of the box and the other 4 are currently rebuilding on the array. Also, be careful drive actually locked up the array on startup the second one first showed up fine as a non-raid hard drive and when I converted to raid drive it just said error...awesome. So be careful with them we're doing some test on them for backup nodes but so far we're not too thrilled.
    PCLHS | SAS70 Datacenters in New Jersey/Texas
    100TB Dedicated Servers 1U - Full Cab Colocation Complex Hosting Horizontally Scalable Hosting DR/HA Hosting Public and Private Clouds Web Farms Innovative, Reliable, and Responsive
    Contact Us E: mark [at] pclhs.net | W: www.pclhs.net

We use them in our backup systems, and they work great. I can attest to them not being as fast as the RE's or the blacks though.
    Ian Halliday
    nDeviX Corporation
    www.ndevix.com
    Web Development | IT Consulting | Hosted Services | Mobile Apps