High Server Load Daily

Lately our server load has been extremely high but mostly only between 12AM to about 4AM only. When this happens our websites slow down and sometimes can't be reached. I've contacted my host but they couldn't help. Advice would be much appreciated.

Most of the hosts setup Backups of the server on that time because server traffic bit reduced on 12AM to 4AM Time. Or because of Server Time, A lot of crons starts running on server that slow down the server.
    You have to contact your host and ask them what is actually causing the issue.
    ☆☆ RoyalNode Web Hosting☆☆ In Business Since 2018 (3 Years)
    ►►Los Angeles CA USA, Oregon Seattle USA, Canada, Amsterdam NL EU based Shared and Reseller Web Hosting◄◄
    ►►
    Affordable Managed SSD VPS and Managed Dedicated Server Provider◄◄

Quote Originally Posted by Askforhost-AJ View Post
    Most of the hosts setup Backups of the server on that time because server traffic bit reduced on 12AM to 4AM Time. Or because of Server Time, A lot of crons starts running on server that slow down the server.
    You have to contact your host and ask them what is actually causing the issue.
    What's frustrating is I make changes to our websites between 12-3am and lately with the high server loads it's been basically impossible to do any work. This was never a problem before, but now it's become a daily thing and sometimes the server will go offline.

When I contacted my host about the problem this is what they had to say: "please understand that in shared hosting there are many other factors that could go into occasional lags in service and not always related to your own sites and very rarely are attributed to the same root cause. This can range from other sites receiving a spike in traffic or having too many running processes."

The host is not known to over sell on reseller accounts so I'm not sure what else I should do.

You could request to be moved to another machine that is less crowded. As you're a reseller, that will most likely cause you a lot of disruption though.
    ~]# Ethernet Servers Ltd - Est. 2014! - sales @ ethernetservers.com
    ~]# Try out our WordPress speed tests for yourself!
    ~]# NVMe Web Hosting | Unmanaged VPS | Fully Managed VPS | Dedicated Servers | Domain Names
    ~]# Don't settle for any less than the very best - come & join our family today!

the host you are using, do they use cloud linux? If not, it is possible that other sites are having high loads at this time, and as such are directly impacting on your sites.

Cloudlinux isnt a magic cure though, it only reduces the impact that other sites can have on your own.

If you have a few clients already, then it might be worth your time to start to look into migrating to a fully managed, quality VPS.

Quote Originally Posted by webuser8 View Post
    What's frustrating is I make changes to our websites between 12-3am and lately with the high server loads it's been basically impossible to do any work. This was never a problem before, but now it's become a daily thing and sometimes the server will go offline.

When I contacted my host about the problem this is what they had to say: "please understand that in shared hosting there are many other factors that could go into occasional lags in service and not always related to your own sites and very rarely are attributed to the same root cause. This can range from other sites receiving a spike in traffic or having too many running processes."

The host is not known to over sell on reseller accounts so I'm not sure what else I should do.
    As suggested in above post, request them to move your account to any other available less crowded server. If they are well reputable provider they will be able to move your account to any other server without any issues.
    ☆☆ RoyalNode Web Hosting☆☆ In Business Since 2018 (3 Years)
    ►►Los Angeles CA USA, Oregon Seattle USA, Canada, Amsterdam NL EU based Shared and Reseller Web Hosting◄◄
    ►►
    Affordable Managed SSD VPS and Managed Dedicated Server Provider◄◄

Do you have cpanel?
    NetDynamics LLC - One-stop Solution for Hosting Needs
    We love Backups! Backup storage for your server backups

I had some issues on a few of my sites with higher loads and decided to give a free CDN a try. I experimented with Incapsula and CloudFlare and ended up with Incapsula. All of the issues I was having are now gone. According to their control panel they were blocking many "bad bots" from accessing the sites. I don't know a ton about bots but it really seems to have helped.
    Shapiro Web Design
    shapirowebdesign.com
    affordable custom websites

You should consider moving to a better VPS. You can use a CDN like cloudflare it should make a huge improvements. When purchasing the server be very sure to choose the right provider. You'll want someone who has great support and who will look heavily into issues or anything when you aren't satisfied with their services .

Quote Originally Posted by Askforhost-AJ View Post
    As suggested in above post, request them to move your account to any other available less crowded server. If they are well reputable provider they will be able to move your account to any other server without any issues.
    If it's the policy of the hosting company to oversell their servers to the point where they can't take backups without compromising website performance, then honestly the best course of action would be to move to another provider. They might be able to move to on to a less crowded server, but there's no guarantee that server will stay less crowded.
    ▄▀▄ Brian Harrison, Lead Engineer - Reprise Hosting (AS62838)
    ▄▀▄ Deals on cheap dedicated server hosting. IPMI included! Unmetered bandwidth.
    ▄▀▄ Website migration, 24/7/365 support, basic server setup, 15 day money back.
    ▄▀▄ Looking for DEALS on self-managed cheap VPS hosting? Visit VPSHostingDEAL.com

As other suggested, most providers run their during that period of time so it is common to see some increased server loads, but it should not have any drastic effect on your website. Your best bet would be to ask to be moved to a different server.
    Kushal || Host4Geeks || Operating Fully Owned Infrastructure out of 4 Global Datacenters US / UK / India
    Reseller Hosting - Pure SSD | Nginx + LSAPI | Let's Encrypt | WHMCS or Blesta | DDoS Protection| 24x7 Support
    Fully Managed SSD VPS - cPanel /WHM | Softaculous | Let's Encrypt | DDoS Protection | Proactive Monitoring | Server Hardening
    Datacenters - Los Angeles, CA | Lenoir, NC | London, UK |Pune, India

May I ask what the server load you are seeing in WHM is?

In any case, like other have previously stated your best two options, and really your only two options since they are unwilling to determine the exact cause would be to:

A. Ask to be moved to a different server
    or
    B. Move to a different host.

Quote Originally Posted by LuxuryServers View Post
    You should consider moving to a better VPS. You can use a CDN like cloudflare it should make a huge improvements. When purchasing the server be very sure to choose the right provider. You'll want someone who has great support and who will look heavily into issues or anything when you aren't satisfied with their services .
    I have noticed free version of cloudflare will most likely increase the load time due to consumer grade disk they probably use to store your website's static data.
    Mike S.
    NetCloudTrue Cloud Servers
    OnApp Cloud ★ Enterprise HA SAN ★ GNAX Atlanta

If you're seeing load between 12 and 4, that's typically backup, system work as others have suggested. I would advise shifting your work hours if it's that noticable, moving to another server (or provider), or even better, getting a VPS/dedicated for your sites and clients
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

The problem with offering reseller hosting internationally is some customers are different time zone. So the server is backing up for some hours which for some users are at night and for some are in the peak business hours.
    QHoster.com - Web Hosting with DDoS Protection | Shared & Reseller in Europe/North America
    Linux/Windows RDP VPS 13 Locations : UK, US (5 states), Mexico, Canada, Bulgaria, Lithuania,
    Italy, France, Germany,Netherlands, Switzerland, Rissia, Singapore | OpenVPN/PPTP Enabled
    INSTANT | PayPal, Skrill, Payza, Bitcoin, WebMoney, Perfect Money, Ukash, CashU, paysafecard

If you would let us know the load and the specifications of the server that your host has provided you with it would really help us out a lot. Also make sure to ask your host if they are running nightly backups on their server.
    Srvis LLC - Web Solutions
    █ Shared Hosting - VPS Hosting - Logo Design - Metro Detroit
    Email Us: sales@srvis.com or call: (855) 377-2689

It sounds like the server you are on has too many accounts on it. Given the answer you received, it appears that they are not going to do much about it.
    U.S.A. High Resource allocation global cloud hosting serving 310,000 clients since 2008 | Offering both cPanel & DirectAdmin
    WebsitePlex.com | Instant Activation | Alpha, Master, Reseller & Cloud Hosting
    Recurring Affiliate Program Pays 20% of total revenue for life | 30 Day Trial

Thanks to all the people who have replied to my post.

My reseller account is hosted on linux with WHM/Cpanel, no cloudlinux, CentOS 5.9 x86_64 Xenpv and I already have my sites on a CDN.

On Tuesday the server load was at 143.31 (8 CPUs) and brought the server down. I don't really want to move hosts if possible as they normally have great support and up-time, but lately it's just been this issue early in the morning.

The host does daily backup's which I would assume this is when they are being done. I don't want to be upselled to a VPS as I don't need it right now and my sites do not get that much hits for me to justify moving to one.

If you have access to WHM, you can monitor it during the mentioned time period and you can find out useful information of what is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Michael View Post
    If you have access to WHM, you can monitor it during the mentioned time period and you can find out useful information of what is going on.
    What should I be looking for or at? I do have access to WHM but my hosting account is a reseller's, so I don't have full access to all WHM functions.

You are right, sorry. If you could have access to 'daily usage' or 'process manager' for example, it should be fine.

Even with backups going that is an incredibly high load. It sounds like there's more to this than meets the eye.

Many hosts have great uptime and support, such as stablehost, hawkhost, crocweb. All fantastic providers. I personally would move host at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by webuser8 View Post
    Thanks to all the people who have replied to my post.

My reseller account is hosted on linux with WHM/Cpanel, no cloudlinux, CentOS 5.9 x86_64 Xenpv and I already have my sites on a CDN.

On Tuesday the server load was at 143.31 (8 CPUs) and brought the server down. I don't really want to move hosts if possible as they normally have great support and up-time, but lately it's just been this issue early in the morning.

The host does daily backup's which I would assume this is when they are being done. I don't want to be upselled to a VPS as I don't need it right now and my sites do not get that much hits for me to justify moving to one.
    ~]# Ethernet Servers Ltd - Est. 2014! - sales @ ethernetservers.com
    ~]# Try out our WordPress speed tests for yourself!
    ~]# NVMe Web Hosting | Unmanaged VPS | Fully Managed VPS | Dedicated Servers | Domain Names
    ~]# Don't settle for any less than the very best - come & join our family today!

Quote Originally Posted by NetCloud_VM View Post
    I have noticed free version of cloudflare will most likely increase the load time due to consumer grade disk they probably use to store your website's static data.
    I am using Incapsula and have had great results. Definitely worth a try.
    Shapiro Web Design
    shapirowebdesign.com
    affordable custom websites