Curious about Game server hosting..

Yes I am sure you have heard this one before - Except I am not a teen. Maybe a Man-child though heheh. At any rate I am struggling with work lately (as in $$$/hours given thanks to the new obamacare) I have a bit of money saved up and want to decide on if I Should gamble with this or not and do something on my own. I understand everything has it's risks this included. However it is something I LOVE (gaming in general any type of game) I am pretty familiar with computer technical things and don't mind helping people or walking them through things.

Now the meat of the question - Is going into this market worth it? To be clear I am thinking of starting a game server hosting company.

I have about 3k start up funds (and obviously I am aware that it may take some months to start pulling ahead in $$ from losses)

As I see it - If I can get a dedicated server in this example I will use minecraft as it seems to be the "trendy game" all you would need is a control panel (lets say multicraft), A website, A team of people and a form of payment on the website all linked together. Thats good and dandy.

Now As I also see it in this example minecraft - it is a CPU Intensive game (single threaded of course) and maybe an E3-1270v2 is the best cpu for it for the $.

So Let us suppose I went with such a thing and set all of this up. Let me seee if this is about right

Domain: $10
    Web hosting for one year: $200
    Site design: $50
    ONE server: $500
    Multicraft: $50
    New business: $100 or so I think it is $100(sole proprietorship)

So In total we are looking at maybe 1k. (I am rounding very high to be safe here)

+ 500 every month for said dedicated server (Or is this a high # for one machine?)

If I spend 1k What would be my chances of coming out "ok" in the green or is the market really that bad.

Thanks for any honest opinions or people who have been there and done that. I really will take any suggestions to heart and listen. Much appreciated!

-Joe
    Last edited by Joeblowe; 10-03-2013 at 01:38 AM.

Moved > Game Servers .

Re: Curious about Game server hosting..

$500 for a single dedicated server is quite a lot to get started with. One GB of RAM in Minecraft is often sold for $10/mo or less and an average server has about 2GB RAM so you would need ~50GB RAM. Do you believe you could sell all those 25 servers in the very first month of your business? If not, you could start with a cheaper server and buy more or upgrade as the business grows.

You could also save by hosting the website itself on one of those dedicated servers. With that budget you would run out of money in 6 months if you are not lucky to get enough sales and popularity quickly.

So, about the chances of succeeding. I wouldn't suggest to start with that high server costs because it will be hard to earn $500 per month in the beginning. The market is of course huge so in overall that's a good opportunity for new hosts. Minecraft is also a game that is quite easy to pick for the first game for a new GSP.

You seem to have the required skills and money to get started. You just have to invest the money correctly and you will succeed. You will of course need a lot of free time or some extra employees too.

I don't have time to write a longer post right now but there are other important things to consider too, for example your marketing plan.
    Last edited by Jake_K; 10-03-2013 at 02:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EasyAsPie View Post
    $500 for a single dedicated server is quite a lot to get started with. One GB of RAM in Minecraft is often sold for $10/mo or less and an average server has about 2GB RAM so you would need ~50GB RAM. Do you believe you could sell all those 25 servers in the very first month of your business? If not, you could start with a cheaper server and buy more or upgrade as the business grows.

You could also save by hosting the website itself on one of those dedicated servers. With that budget you would run out of money in 6 months if you are not lucky to get enough sales and popularity quickly.

So, about the chances of succeeding. I wouldn't suggest to start with that high server costs because it will be hard to earn $500 per month in the beginning. The market is of course huge so in overall that's a good opportunity for new hosts. Minecraft is also a game that is quite easy to pick for the first game for a new GSP.

You seem to have the required skills and money to get started. You just have to invest the money correctly and you will succeed. You will of course need a lot of free time or some extra employees too.

I don't have time to write a longer post right now but there are other important things to consider too, for example your marketing plan.
    Sounds good, Thanks for the tips so far - My marketing plan is fairly simple but I am pretty sure it would work. Obviously you would have to advertise it on the game's main forum for hosting services or what have you; maybe give a "sponsership" out so someone else could advertise for you in exchange for a piece of the server. If someone requests a server you can tell them what sets it apart from the others. I personally believe that you get what you pay for - if you pay for junk you get junk (after all nothing in this world is free I've learned). I for one when I rented servers in other games have had this happen (when I was a wee-lad and didn't know much about computers) first hand and know what it's like to say hey- that's cheap lets go with them. You have to explain to the clients why yours is better and why they should go with you over the cheapo apartment with cockroaches crawling all over the place of course unless you don't mind cockroaches then go with the cheapo servers I am just thinking all this over for now and again thanks for your tips

Have you hosted any game servers before? Like not professionally? Also why would you pay for web hosting if you have a server?

You should be able to pickup an E3 with at least 16GB's of RAM to start for around $100-$200/mo depending on location/provider and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by saschoen View Post
    Have you hosted any game servers before? Like not professionally? Also why would you pay for web hosting if you have a server?
    It is a great business practice to house your site in a separate environment then shared clients.
    Nick - Velocity Servers Inc.
    Managed cPanel/WHM VPS & Dedicated Servers
    24/7/365 Support | PayPal, Bitcoin & Credit Card
    Hudson Valley Host - ChicagoVPS - Vortex Servers - 123Systems - BlueVM

Quote Originally Posted by VortexServers View Post
    You should be able to pickup an E3 with at least 16GB's of RAM to start for around $100-$200/mo depending on location/provider and so on.

It is a great business practice to house your site in a separate environment then shared clients.
    Right - I checked and found some servers offering 1270v2 with 32gb for 217 $ a month - I figured that was a good buy.

However the problem I am seeing is the profit margin is very small unless you over sell.

If my math is correct and you want to fit in to a market such as minecraft hosting. Hosting for $10 per GB of ram will give you a max of around $290 I will say. When the server itself costs 217$ and its all based monthly you will need quiet a big client base to actually make any real money.

You basically make 70 dollars a month per server is that a correct assumption? And thats if you max out each server.

I would assume with a 1270v2 you would only want to give out 8 servers and seeing as how most people in minecraft buy 2 gb of ram that would leave you with 16 gb sold. So that would be $160 so you'd be losing money unless someone purchased more ram from you then the average 2 gb.

Seems like a verrrrrry risky business if I am looking at this right. Should I be offering more then 8 servers? or is 8 servers a good number due to the number of cores (8 cores)

Any more advise/suggestions/guidance to make something like this work? Thanks!
    Last edited by Joeblowe; 10-03-2013 at 10:55 PM.

Before all of the lovely mod pack's Minecraft used to just love its RAM, now its a bit of a toss up between CPU and RAM however if done right you should have no issues at all fitting more then 8 servers on even an E3-1230 (Save a couple bucks with a year or two old processor compared to the v2's and v3's).

Before all of the lovely mod pack's Minecraft used to just love its RAM, now its a bit of a toss up between CPU and RAM however if done right you should have no issues at all fitting more then 8 servers on even an E3-1230 (Save a couple bucks with a year or two old processor compared to the v2's and v3's).
    Sounds good - Let us say we had 15 people asking for a server each wanting 2 gb of ram. How many could I fit on one server roughly without causing a problem? ( I know you could do all 15 but would that be acceptable CPU wise? ) lets say for your CPU the e3-1230

Well if they are all full and actively going at the same time then you may have an issue on your hands. However if they are all from around the world and play at different times, some are vanilla servers that eat no CPU, some have a ton of mods and eat 5-10% and so on.

Realistically if you had an E3 with 32GB's of RAM you should have no issues holding that number as well, of course that's only if you do not luck out if every single one of those servers loves to run every CPU intensive mod on the net then you may run into a problem.

Well if they are all full and actively going at the same time then you may have an issue on your hands. However if they are all from around the world and play at different times, some are vanilla servers that eat no CPU, some have a ton of mods and eat 5-10% and so on.

Realistically if you had an E3 with 32GB's of RAM you should have no issues holding that number as well, of course that's only if you do not luck out if every single one of those servers loves to run every CPU intensive mod on the net then you may run into a problem.
    Alright so then that would allow you to cap out the ram (maybe save 2 gb for nothing or am I wrong for doing that?)

So we would make $300 a month on a maybe $160 server so profits = 140$ a month

Is that about right?

Turning a 50% profit on a machine like that in this business is not too bad at all, and you can even start out with 16GB's of RAM on the machine and your host should be able to let you upgrade that amount of RAM when you need it instead of having it all there for the first month or two unused.

I agree, its definitely a best practice to put your webhosting on its own server. However starting out, would putting the webhosting on its own vps be bad?

I've looked around at many different hosts - but do you guys know of any preferred good ones that are fair with $$ Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by saschoen View Post
    I agree, its definitely a best practice to put your webhosting on its own server. However starting out, would putting the webhosting on its own vps be bad?
    Nope, but if you are insinuating the VPS being on the dedicated server hosting the game servers then a network attack aimed at a game server (extremely common with minecraft) would cause issues with the site at that point but that would be about the only concern there.

Quote Originally Posted by Joeblowe View Post
    I've looked around at many different hosts - but do you guys know of any preferred good ones that are fair with $$ Thanks again!
    I would recommend going for a provider with good reviews in a location that would appeal to your client base.

Nope, but if you are insinuating the VPS being on the dedicated server hosting the game servers then a network attack aimed at a game server (extremely common with minecraft) would cause issues with the site at that point but that would be about the only concern there.

I would recommend going for a provider with good reviews in a location that would appeal to your client base.
    Obviously

I think I found one But now the next question is (my last one before really considering it)

I suppose I will need a "Control panel" for the dedicated server. Do you recommend any? or do you think I can live without one

You will definitely want a control panel to manage the game servers, I would recommend anything from Multicraft/McMyAdmin (minecraft only) or TCAdmin (supports all other games and Minecraft as well).

You will definitely want a control panel to manage the game servers, I would recommend anything from Multicraft/McMyAdmin (minecraft only) or TCAdmin (supports all other games and Minecraft as well).
    Right I meant a control panel for the dedicated server itself such as Cpanel etc. Or is that not necessary I did plan on Using multicraft though for sure.

Shouldn't need anything like that, depends on the OS you plan on running there.

All these questions really mean you should blow your hard earned $3000, because realistically, you won't see a return since you don't inherently understand the basics.
    Steven Crothers
    No BS cloud engineer and Red Hat architect.

Take it from a recent GSP founder -

This business is expensive. This business is dominated by OVH-reselling $3 per GB / $0.50 per slot hosts. It's a straight-up fact that companies like mine have to accept.

I get the following (very good) deals on my hardware from the providers I work with - All of which are known and located at some of the best data centers we could find.

Main Setup - Xeon E3-1240V3 or E3-1270V3 Quad-Core, 32GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB 7.2k Enterprise HDD + 250GB Samsung 840 Evo SSD, 1Gbps port, Minimum of 10TB outbound transfer. I get these machines ranging from $139 to $159 per month just by talking to the providers and doing buy-downs. I offer game servers at $9.95 per GB or $0.95 per Slot on these setups.

"Budget" Minecraft Setup - Xeon E3-1230V2 Quad-Core, 32Gb DDR3 RAM, 240Gb Intel 330 SSD, 100Mbps port, 5TB outbound transfer. I get this at a flatrate of $99 by doing buy-downs. I offer servers on these at $6.95 per GB. I feel this is very fair pricing because it's still very good hardware (Better than what many companies call 'premium' anymore.)

I currently have all of my servers out of a provider who colocates in Steadfast Networks' 725 S. Wells facility in Chicago. This facility features Level(3), nLayer, Inteliquent, NTT America, Tata Communications, and Cogent connectivity, as well as additional peering to 350 E. cermak and to Verizon, CenturyLink / Savvis, and AboveNet. This is all optimized with InterNAP FCP devices and A+B redundancy on all levels.

Anyway, this is not a cheap business to get into. Don't expect your money back quickly, don't expect worthwhile profit for the first few months.

I have been rather lucky with making my own profits (We filled our first node to our 75% capacity mark in only 19 days.) - But I attribute that heavily to my team of 7 technicians, server admins, and support reps located around the globe.

Anyway, if you do decide to go through with the business, I find it very rewarding, and it's very interesting to watch not only your own services grow, but your clients' servers grow as well.

For the record - I am 17 years old. I believe it is maturity and the ability to do the job that really matters.

Quote Originally Posted by OSTKCabal View Post
    Take it from a recent GSP founder -

This business is expensive. This business is dominated by OVH-reselling $3 per GB / $0.50 per slot hosts. It's a straight-up fact that companies like mine have to accept.

I get the following (very good) deals on my hardware from the providers I work with - All of which are known and located at some of the best data centers we could find.

Main Setup - Xeon E3-1240V3 or E3-1270V3 Quad-Core, 32GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB 7.2k Enterprise HDD + 250GB Samsung 840 Evo SSD, 1Gbps port, Minimum of 10TB outbound transfer. I get these machines ranging from $139 to $159 per month just by talking to the providers and doing buy-downs. I offer game servers at $9.95 per GB or $0.95 per Slot on these setups.

"Budget" Minecraft Setup - Xeon E3-1230V2 Quad-Core, 32Gb DDR3 RAM, 240Gb Intel 330 SSD, 100Mbps port, 5TB outbound transfer. I get this at a flatrate of $99 by doing buy-downs. I offer servers on these at $6.95 per GB. I feel this is very fair pricing because it's still very good hardware (Better than what many companies call 'premium' anymore.)

I currently have all of my servers out of a provider who colocates in Steadfast Networks' 725 S. Wells facility in Chicago. This facility features Level(3), nLayer, Inteliquent, NTT America, Tata Communications, and Cogent connectivity, as well as additional peering to 350 E. cermak and to Verizon, CenturyLink / Savvis, and AboveNet. This is all optimized with InterNAP FCP devices and A+B redundancy on all levels.

Anyway, this is not a cheap business to get into. Don't expect your money back quickly, don't expect worthwhile profit for the first few months.

I have been rather lucky with making my own profits (We filled our first node to our 75% capacity mark in only 19 days.) - But I attribute that heavily to my team of 7 technicians, server admins, and support reps located around the globe.

Anyway, if you do decide to go through with the business, I find it very rewarding, and it's very interesting to watch not only your own services grow, but your clients' servers grow as well.

For the record - I am 17 years old. I believe it is maturity and the ability to do the job that really matters.
    OSTKCabal, I hadn't realized you were that young. (I probably wasn't paying attention before. )

The business is quite expensive that's true, though as I have stated elsewhere, if you own your servers and co-locate servers at a nearby Data Center. You can save SOME money, but only so far as the hardware doesn't fail as you'll have to replace it out of pocket. Some see it as an up and/or a down side, but it needs to be stated. This depends on how good you are with Computers in general as you'll need at least basic build and tear-down experience to even attempt server repair.

I would love to colocate but there aren't any cheap datacenters near DC

I personally would rather just drop like $1500 on a server and own it forever. The cost for upgrades when renting a server really does add up.