Question What resolvers do you use?

I'm having a discussion with my admins about this, and wanted to see what the other company's are using for their resolvers.

Normally we use these three resolvers:

Primary: (
    Secondary: (
    Tertiary: (

However, one of my admins said that using Google DNS (or openDNS) will sometimes result in all mails being tagged as spam, because some RBLs block access to those public resolvers.

To prove his point, he showed that if you click the "help" icon on the cpanel exim configuration page for the RBL: option, it says this:

This option requires the use of a non-public DNS resolver. Public resolvers like Google or OpenDNS will not return correct results.
    What do you think? What do you use for your resolvers?

Last edited by mrzippy; 10-02-2013 at 10:38 PM.
    Want to sell domain names? Sign up today for an reseller account from a trusted eNom ETP provider.
    * We provide support and service to over 3245 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

We generally use one that our datacenter offers but most of the host does use google resolver. I have never heard about getting blacklisted in the RBL because of google resolver. - Offshore Web Hosting Provider. Netherlands/Romania || 24x7 Support
    Shared/Reseller Hosting | Offshare VPS/Dedicated Server. Paypal/Perfectmony/Payza/Bitcoin accepted

US, UK, Europe, ME
    sometimes result in all mails being tagged as spam, because some RBLs block access to those public resolvers.
    That's correct. Spamhaus as an example keeps blocking requests from google's open dns resolvers.

It's not about spam only, Open DNS servers are always being used in ddos attacks/reflection and recursion attacks as well. It's highly recommended to consider using DNSSEC.

What do you think? What do you use for your resolvers?
    Use the private ones you get from your provider. Otherwise, Use the ones provided by google and use dnssec along with it.

we use google and opendns ips
    BD Web Services | Since 2009
    Linux & Windows Hosting | Master Reseller Hosting | Remote Backup | Money Back Guarantee | DDOS Protected | USA & Germany
    Web and SEO Tools cPanel/WHM Proxy, DNS, SEO, GEO, QR Code, Website information AT-A-GLANCE

It is always good to have your own DNS servers due to many reason, that includes better control over your DNS queries /traffic, can enforce caching and can reduce the time for DNS queries from your network. You may find a better response time from google's DNS servers than yours when you test DNS servers with loads of queries ( based on the power of your local DNS servers ). But google DNS servers are built to manage millions of queries and there won't be such a query flood from a medium network normally. What we want to take in consideration is the DNS response time in normal load.

Regarding the false results, what they are mentioning is "NXDOMAIN hijackin". I don't find any official declaration; but I found an article in wikipedia which states google DNS doesn't provide you spoofed results. At least we haven't met with any such issues in the past after using google's DNS servers on hundreds of servers.Another one is availability. We may rely on google's brand name and depend upon their high available services; rather than worrying about the uptime of our local resolver .So if you go for open solutions, google is the best choice in my opinion.

Hope this helps!

I use Google's. Never had any issues with them.

Have used google and one from DC never get any hard issue

Some good ones Norton, Comodo etc. - Web Hosting with DDoS Protection | Shared & Reseller in Europe/North America
    Linux/Windows RDP VPS 13 Locations : UK, US (5 states), Mexico, Canada, Bulgaria, Lithuania,
    Italy, France, Germany,Netherlands, Switzerland, Rissia, Singapore | OpenVPN/PPTP Enabled
    INSTANT | PayPal, Skrill, Payza, Bitcoin, WebMoney, Perfect Money, Ukash, CashU, paysafecard

Top Secret
    google and OpenDNS
    if one fails, the other one won't (usually)
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Linux Problems? WHMCS Issues? +1-866-546-8914 (linux-14) or @whmcsguru on twitter!