New York City

How would this server do for VPS containers and what else is needed.

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1270 Quad Core @ 3.4 GHz/core with Hyperthreading
    Memory: 16 GB
    HDD: 1TB 7200 RPM SATA
    Bandwidth: 30 TB (100 Mbps unmetered) or 10 TB (1 Gbps burstable)
    IP Address: 1
    Operating System: CentOS or Windows

Is that a decent server to start out and offer VPS services? What else like software wise would I have to purchase. Also is this's decent server for reseller and shared hosting with cPanel ??

Many thanks

Over 3,000 posts and so clueless ? Good luck hosting VPS services with one IP address..

I was going to say good luck with more than a couple of VPS's on that single HDD until @softsho011 beat me to it.

Short answer is NO - that server is not a good choice to offer VPS's on - there is insufficient Disk IO with a single HDD - and I would not put ANY clients on a machine with just a single drive, but it is OK to use as a personal dev/test machine for VM's.

At a minimum for offering VPS's, a pair of disks in Raid1, but then, you will still only be able to put a small number (probably 5-10 VM's). Really should be looking at RAID 10 as a minimum.

Now as a shared hosting server, I would still say NO - you should have raid1 as a minimum, and also a 3rd drive for your /backup While you might get away with it for the moment, it is certainly not ideal.

Finally, with the 1 IP you could get away with that for shared hosting, for VPS's you will require at least 1 IP per VPS.
    CPanel Shared and Reseller Hosting, OpenVZ VPS Hosting. West Coast (LA) Servers and Nodes
    Running Linux since 1.0.8 Kernel!
    Providing Internet Services since 1995 and Hosting Since 2004

The server is good enough. Just add at least 1 more drive and raid-1 for redundancy. You can sell like 12-15 good Xen VPSes with this machine. - Web Hosting with DDoS Protection | Shared & Reseller in Europe/North America
    Linux/Windows RDP VPS 13 Locations : UK, US (5 states), Mexico, Canada, Bulgaria, Lithuania,
    Italy, France, Germany,Netherlands, Switzerland, Rissia, Singapore | OpenVPN/PPTP Enabled
    INSTANT | PayPal, Skrill, Payza, Bitcoin, WebMoney, Perfect Money, Ukash, CashU, paysafecard

Wilkes-Barre, PA
    Quote Originally Posted by WebHostDog View Post
    The server is good enough. Just add at least 1 more drive and raid-1 for redundancy. You can sell like 12-15 good Xen VPSes with this machine.
    Raid-1 on two drives would be slow as hell with over 4-5 VPS's (depending on their load/use). The disk IO would be terrible.

And as others mentioned, 1 IP address isn't going to get you very far either.
    NEPA Fiber
    AS 394868 - Wilkes-Barre, PA
    █ Fiber Internet, Dedicated Servers, Colocation, Cloud
    99.99% Uptime Guarantee - 24/7/365 Support

You definitely want to consider 4x HDD'S (Hardware RAID-10) so that you have room to place several containers on this machine and make a decent profit; disk I/O will be your bottle neck on a single or dual drive setup..