Exclamation Emails going into spam/junk.

Hello,

I recently started my hosting business a few months back. Me and my clients have noticed a very peculiar issue with emails going directly into spam/junk.

A workaround is to ask my clients to add my email or contact into their contact list, I do not think I can ask my clients to ask their customers to do the same.

I was wondering if there is a solution/step that I or my providers should perform to eliminate this issue?

I have disabled SPF/DKIM/Spam Assassin on both mine as well as my client's domains, double-checked my SSL certificate, my provider updated DNS and waited for 24 hours for propagation.

I am clueless now and desperately need some help on this matter!

Any help is appreciated!!

TIA,
    findanish

Check if the IP address is in any email blacklists.
    QHoster.com - Web Hosting with DDoS Protection | Shared & Reseller in Europe/North America
    Linux/Windows RDP VPS 13 Locations : UK, US (5 states), Mexico, Canada, Bulgaria, Lithuania,
    Italy, France, Germany,Netherlands, Switzerland, Rissia, Singapore | OpenVPN/PPTP Enabled
    INSTANT | PayPal, Skrill, Payza, Bitcoin, WebMoney, Perfect Money, Ukash, CashU, paysafecard

Are you sending pictures in your e-mail you are sending out?
    l Dedigeeks (Twitter) Shared Reseller Cloud VPS Since 2010
    l Leading AU Hosting Provider Multiple locations - around the globe!
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com Customer Service Rep. Superior Service Guarantee

Disabling SPF/DKIM/SpamAssassin is pretty much the opposite of what you want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by critihost View Post
    Disabling SPF/DKIM/SpamAssassin is pretty much the opposite of what you want to do.
    This. You should definitely have SPF and DKIM enabled.
    Also, try using SMTP instead of phpmail especially for WHMCS.

You could also check if you're being blacklisted via
    http://mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx
    TaleHost | Quality Web Hosting | US / Asia
    LiteSpeed | Pure SSD | Softacolous | Automated Backups

IP address is not blacklisted.

Have enabled DKIM and SpamAssassin, but not sure how SPF works.

No pictures, but just text emails.

Forward and Reverse DNS lookup matches.

My provider is asking me to inform my clients to mark my emails as not spam, agreed that the easy way out, but I simply cannot ask my clients to do the same for their customers. Its just not professional as host.
    Last edited by findanish; 10-03-2013 at 01:16 AM.

Check the full header of the email that delivered to spam box. From there you can track the reason why the mail server marked your email as spam.
    SupportExpertz.com - the name says it all!
    Managed Cloud Servers
    Server Management and Monitoring
    24x7 outsourced customer support

Please see below for the entire header of one of the emails i sent to my personal gmail account.

Code:
    Delivered-To: [email protected]
    Received: by 10.58.2.98 with SMTP id 2csp10362vet;
            Tue, 1 Oct 2013 05:35:45 -0700 (PDT)
    X-Received: by 10.60.62.101 with SMTP id x5mr25318553oer.24.1380630945410;
            Tue, 01 Oct 2013 05:35:45 -0700 (PDT)
    Return-Path: <[email protected]>
    Received: from server2.websiteserverbox.com (server2.websiteserverbox.com. [67.222.131.156])
            by mx.google.com with ESMTPS id fm3si3971118oeb.139.1969.12.31.16.00.00
            (version=TLSv1 cipher=RC4-SHA bits=128/128);
            Tue, 01 Oct 2013 05:35:45 -0700 (PDT)
    Received-SPF: neutral (google.com: 67.222.131.156 is neither permitted nor denied by best guess record for domain of [email protected]) client-ip=67.222.131.156;
    Authentication-Results: mx.google.com;
           spf=neutral (google.com: 67.222.131.156 is neither permitted nor denied by best guess record for domain of [email protected]) [email protected]
    Received: from localhost ([127.0.0.1]:54989 helo=server2.websiteserverbox.com)
    	by server2.websiteserverbox.com with esmtpa (Exim 4.80.1)
    	(envelope-from <[email protected]>)
    	id 1VQzB1-000xtG-J3
    	for [email protected]; Tue, 01 Oct 2013 05:35:43 -0700
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8;
     format=flowed
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
    Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2013 05:35:43 -0700
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: test test famdoas
    Message-ID: <[email protected]>
    X-Sender: [email protected]
    User-Agent: Roundcube Webmail/0.9.3
    X-AntiAbuse: This header was added to track abuse, please include it with any abuse report
    X-AntiAbuse: Primary Hostname - server2.websiteserverbox.com
    X-AntiAbuse: Original Domain - gmail.com
    X-AntiAbuse: Originator/Caller UID/GID - [47 12] / [47 12]
    X-AntiAbuse: Sender Address Domain - bellezadecor.com
    X-Get-Message-Sender-Via: server2.websiteserverbox.com: authenticated_id: [email protected]

Also, Please let us know the explanation shown at the top of each spam messages. Like "Why is this message in spam"
    Managed Cloud Servers

No such explanation to be honest. Just "Why is this message in Spam? It's similar to messages that were detected by our spam filters. Learn more"

When i click on learn more, it basically asks me to add the email to contact list.

Quote Originally Posted by findanish View Post
    spf=neutral
    You still have to set up SPF.
    Last edited by gingir; 10-03-2013 at 07:39 AM.

Can you please have a try to send email after disable ipv6 in Server

If you are using cPanel

you can disable IPv6 for exim, by adding the setting "disable_ipv6" = true in "WHM Home Service Configuration Exim Configuration Manager Advanced Editor".
    Managed Cloud Servers

Quote Originally Posted by supportexpertz View Post
    Can you please have a try to send email after disable ipv6 in Server

If you are using cPanel

you can disable IPv6 for exim, by adding the setting "disable_ipv6" = true in "WHM Home Service Configuration Exim Configuration Manager Advanced Editor".
    Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't see how this would affect the email. I mean it would in certain cases, but I don't see how it affects it this time.

The most probable cause would be SPF not being enabled.
    You can enable it in cPanel > Email Authentication

Is the IP address your messages are sent from, 67.222.131.156, a shared address? You could be feeling the consequences of the bad actions of others who share the server.

The address is not on any of the major blacklists, but Google has their own. They have become quite strict when it comes to spam and do not accept request to have an IP removed from their internal blacklist.

You may ned to get a dedicated IP address. Gmail does offer some tips on how to avoid having your messages end up in their spam folders:

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/1366858?hl=en

Good luck!

-DianaDot

Quote Originally Posted by Xerixe View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't see how this would affect the email. I mean it would in certain cases, but I don't see how it affects it this time.

The most probable cause would be SPF not being enabled.
    You can enable it in cPanel > Email Authentication
    Actually it 100% affects email. I forgot I had to fix that. Exim was sending over IPv6 to a bunch of the hosts and since cPanel doesn't support IPv6 yet my SPF rules were failing due to the email routing over IPv6 which it seems to prefer if you have IPv6 and a DNS lookup provides IPv6. My issue was mostly with Google.

EDIT:

But it would have shown the IPv6 address in the headers.

Quote Originally Posted by critihost View Post
    Actually it 100% affects email. I forgot I had to fix that. Exim was sending over IPv6 to a bunch of the hosts and since cPanel doesn't support IPv6 yet my SPF rules were failing due to the email routing over IPv6 which it seems to prefer if you have IPv6 and a DNS lookup provides IPv6. My issue was mostly with Google.

EDIT:

But it would have shown the IPv6 address in the headers.
    Yes, I'm saying it doesn't apply to this case as the headers were showing the IPv4 address.

Thank you all for the valuable input. It seems my provider fixed the issue from their end. I am pretty sure it had something to do with DNS. I will try to get the specifics of what they exactly did to resolve the issue so that other would benefit from it.

Host4Geeks are indeed very good and know what they do! 3 cheers to them!

It could be that they were using intelligent spam filters that analyze the contents of the message very thoroughly. It's best to avoid using prices, "free", and any other language that could be interpreted as a sales ad. "offer", "special", "act now", "pay now" and similar remarks can also get detected as spam. Likewise if you send a large number of emails to same address. With the spam infestation getting larger and larger, people are getting more paranoid about it.

Me and my clients have noticed a very peculiar issue with emails going directly into spam/junk.
    Your spam filter is not configured properly. I use spamdyke and set the filtering threshold at 8 (on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 tagging the most as spam and 10 letting the most through). A high spamdyke setting assures that good email isn't tagged as spam. Beyond that I set the following:

1. Reject all email from servers with no rDNS set.
    2. Reject all email from blacklisted servers at bl.spamcop.net & zen.spamhaus.org
    3. Monitor the mail & spam folders to train as system spam & ham for a week or so.

Clients might still need to a little spam & ham training, but that will work pretty well.

Host4Geeks are indeed very good and know what they do! 3 cheers to them!
    Thank you! Always a pleasure to help you!
    Kushal || Host4Geeks LLC || Own Network - Hardware - IP Ranges - cPanel & WHMCS Authorized Partners.
    Managed VPS - cPanel - Softaculous - Monitoring - DDoS Protection - Fully Managed - East Coast - West Coast - London
    Reseller Hosting - WHMCS || CloudLinux || SSL || SSD || Daily Backups || LiteSpeed || US / UK || DDoS Protection
    Announcing our Indian Expansion - #LevelUP Your Web Hosting Experience - Subscribe now for Early Access & Discounts!

Emails going into spam/junk.

Good to hear you got it to work. Spam issues can be nasty and time-consuming.

I try to keep a couple of accounts that are using Spammassassin. You can Google for the spam definitions you see in the message header. Gmail doesn't show you much useful information.