My 7-year review with VolumeDrive

Sadly, after almost seven years, my time with VolumeDrive has come to an abrupt end. Over the years I'd been a loyal customer, forgiving of all their misgivings, but ultimately they decided to screw me over in the end without any value placed on my business.

My story begins in January of 2007 when I ordered a dedicated server from VolumeDrive with a rate of $77.50 a month. I'll first say that my time with them was fairly smooth during that time - in the beginning all of my inquiries were handled directly by Josh who was responsive and helpful. Throughout the years I'd only hosted non-mission critical applications, and the average response time of 30minutes and the decent ~99.9% up-time met my minimal needs. Even as VolumeDrive expanded and I had been dealing with new staff and automated emails, the service was fine. But their service has been deteriorating since.

About 2 years ago I asked for a price reduction on my server because of the outdated hardware - Volumedrive was selling the same server with the same specifications for $40 on their site. They would not lower the price for me but said I could configure a new server if I wanted. I decided I wouldn't fight it too much and would eventually look for a new host, but never made the time to do so.

Things took a turn for the worst this August when the infamous VolumeDrive saga occurred without warning - Volumedrive had relocated without telling their customers and my server went black for four weeks. Unfortunately I had already made my payment for all of September a couple of days prior. VolumeDrive sent a public apology and said something to the effect that all customers would be getting that month free. However, I had already paid for September, so I assumed that I would be credited a free month in October. Shockingly, I found this to not be the case.
    VolumeDrive's automated payment system sent me an email reminding me to pay or service would be shutdown. Usually this is followed up by reminder emails until it is paid. However when I did not received reminder emails I assumed the credit was applied. Therefore, when I was in complete shock when I discovered my server was taken offline for non-payment.
    I sent them an email, and the conversation evolved into this:

I'm not understanding the timeline here. I've made all my payments through to September, including paying for the downtime, and received no refund or extension to my knowledge since I had already paid for the month of downtime before it came down. If there was an "extension" then I had already paid for it. Please clarify if I am mistaken. More importantly is it possible to bring my server back online once the 77$ dispute is resolved and continue being a volumedrive customer as I have for the past five years or am I S.O.L.?
    -------
    To which VolumeDrive support robotically responds:
    Also remember that we sent late notices to you to notify you of the impending cancellation.

CL-125 has already been re-provisioned, your data is not recoverable.
    -------
    Their short and harsh reply infuriates me for many reasons. In my email I even tried to remain a loyal customer despite all their misgivings. VolumeDrive bluntly states that their automated response was sufficient notification for cancellation, and upon cancelling a 7-year customer they didn't even take the time to notify me via a phone call or personal, non-automated email in case there was some way this was a mistake or to retain my business.

I summary, I would highly recommend staying away from VolumeDrive. They are highly unreliable and shady, and treat their long-time customers like complete $#!+, charge you for an entire month of downtime, and could one day wipe all your data without any personal notification even when they are ultimately at fault.
    Last edited by ARPHSystems; 10-02-2013 at 12:37 PM.

ARPHSystems,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Please provide your ticket number so we can look into this for you and provide a satisfactory resolution. We have issued a months credit to many of our clients and am seeing no reason why we wouldn't have done so here on your account.

Seeing that you've been a client for several years and satisfactory service has been provided, please be rest assured that we will resolve this for you and take care of the issue at hand.
    Fast SSD Dedicated Servers || 24/7 365 Support || Money-Back Guarantee
    Dedicated Servers || Colocation || IP Transit
    Need to get in touch? Drop us an email at info[at]quadix.co

They are highly unreliable and shady
    ^-- Those two words are the BEST words one could use to describe VolumeDrive as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    ^-- Those two words are the BEST words one could use to describe VolumeDrive as a whole.
    We are trying to assist a client here and provide a solution for the issue they are having; including a refund, credit and or replacement. Comments like this are not contributing to or resolving this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by volumedrive View Post
    We are trying to assist a client here and provide a solution for the issue they are having; including a refund, credit and or replacement. Comments like this are not contributing to or resolving this problem.
    ARPHSystems,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Please provide your ticket number so we can look into this for you and provide a satisfactory resolution. We have issued a months credit to many of our clients and am seeing no reason why we wouldn't have done so here on your account.

Seeing that you've been a client for several years and satisfactory service has been provided, please be rest assured that we will resolve this for you and take care of the issue at hand.
    My ticket number is 651119. But unless my data can be recovered, which from VD's support team it seems it cannot be, then I am not interested in continuing service.

Quote Originally Posted by ARPHSystems View Post
    My ticket number is 651119. But unless my data can be recovered, which from VD's support team it seems it cannot be, then I am not interested in continuing service.

Thank you. We'll be providing you an update on this ticket.

How long was the server down for before it was re-provisioned?
    NEPA Fiber
    AS 394868 - Wilkes-Barre, PA
    █ Fiber Internet, Dedicated Servers, Colocation, Cloud
    100% Uptime SLA - 24/7/365 Support

Quote Originally Posted by Encrypted View Post
    How long was the server down for before it was re-provisioned?
    The server was paid for until the end of September (not including the 1 month credit they should have applied to give me until the end of October), so it was likely taken down yesterday (Oct. 1), although I am not completely sure since I didn't notice until just today.

UPDATE:
    I've spoken to VolumeDrive support since I made this thread, and they cannot recover the data. Furthermore, they placed the blame on me for not "opting in" to receive the credit for the extra month. It is true that I missed their email to opt-in and did not reply, but in my opinion it should've been granted without question to all customers since all customers were affected.

VolumeDrive assumed that because I missed their emails about the opt-in credit that I wished for my server to be cancelled and my data erased. I understand under normal circumstances why they may consider a non-reply + non-payment to be grounds for cancellation. However for VolumeDrive's downtime fiasco and the credit situation, this was anything but normal circumstances, and they should have made the effort (a phone call maybe?) and at least waited for a reply of yes/no before assuming that a non-response meant cancel.

Given the mass confusion and the fact I was a loyal customer, I think I deserved the benefit of the doubt. But when I stated such, they gave me yet another blunt response placing all blame onto me. Bottom line - even after reaching out to them, they concluded that it's all my fault, and I will not get refunded for the month of downtime that I paid for, that they will make no effort to retain me as a customer, and that my data is gone forever.

It is true that I missed their email to opt-in and did not reply, but in my opinion it should've been granted without question to all customers since all customers were affected.
    Couldn't agree more. Most reputable companies will do this automatically. SingleHop, for example (and if I recall correctly), credits all of their customers automatically.

Especially after such a HUGE outage; you'd figure they would do all they can to retain customers. No one wants to jump through hoops to get what they deserve/are owed.
    NEPA Fiber
    AS 394868 - Wilkes-Barre, PA
    █ Fiber Internet, Dedicated Servers, Colocation, Cloud
    100% Uptime SLA - 24/7/365 Support

Quote Originally Posted by Encrypted View Post
    Couldn't agree more. Most reputable companies will do this automatically. SingleHop, for example (and if I recall correctly), credits all of their customers automatically.

Especially after such a HUGE outage; you'd figure they would do all they can to retain customers. No one wants to jump through hoops to get what they deserve/are owed.
    Given the way I was treated I don't think they care much about their existing customer base. When put on the spotlight like on this thread, they are happy to be responsive in order to give the impression to potential customers that they care, but behind the curtains they do not value their customers whatsoever.

Given the way I was treated I don't think they care much about their existing customer base. When put on the spotlight like on this thread, they are happy to be responsive in order to give the impression to potential customers that they care, but behind the curtains they do not value their customers whatsoever.
    Not the case at all. We have been providing updates and working towards a resolution on your issue here.

The server was paid for until the end of September (not including the 1 month credit they should have applied to give me until the end of October), so it was likely taken down yesterday (Oct. 1), although I am not completely sure since I didn't notice until just today.
    According to our records, the billing date for this server has always been the middle of the month, not the end.

UPDATE:
    I've spoken to VolumeDrive support since I made this thread, and they cannot recover the data. Furthermore, they placed the blame on me for not "opting in" to receive the credit for the extra month. It is true that I missed their email to opt-in and did not reply, but in my opinion it should've been granted without question to all customers since all customers were affected.

VolumeDrive assumed that because I missed their emails about the opt-in credit that I wished for my server to be cancelled and my data erased. I understand under normal circumstances why they may consider a non-reply + non-payment to be grounds for cancellation. However for VolumeDrive's downtime fiasco and the credit situation, this was anything but normal circumstances, and they should have made the effort (a phone call maybe?) and at least waited for a reply of yes/no before assuming that a non-response meant cancel.
    The subject line of this particular email read "Late Notice [Urgent]" and was sent on 2013-09-19, several days after the invoice normally would have been due. Between the normal due date and when the server was taken offline, we sent several e-mails trying to determine whether you wanted to continue service. All communication is handled by email and our client portal, and notices were given on both. (We neither ask for phone numbers nor store them in our database). This method of communication seems to have worked okay for several years. We retained the data for this server for 10 days past its due date.

Regardless, we are more than willing to put together a replacement server for you with a month's credit. Just update the ticket, and we'll move forward with this.

Volumedrive also stole over $140 from me. I paid for a server and they never even delivered it after months of trying to get them to. Eventually they just started ignoring me. Here's my original post http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1174943... in fact, maybe I'll just bump it again. Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by multiwebinc View Post
    Volumedrive also stole over $140 from me. I paid for a server and they never even delivered it after months of trying to get them to. Eventually they just started ignoring me. Here's my original post http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1174943... in fact, maybe I'll just bump it again. Why not?
    Turn it in to the Pennsylvania State Attorney General's Office. They have many complaints regarding VD. Add another to the list!

Not sure where you live, but you should also consider a small claims action.

It is entirely your fault that your data is lost. If you have overdue invoices, don't just "assume" that they will magically go away. If you haven't received credit for whatever reason, open a ticket. If your server is due to be terminated in X days or is already overdue, open a ticket.

A lot of providers do not provide automatic credits and a lot of the time you do have to request this.

I agree - the adequate words would be fakes and tricksters. For every horror story that comes out on WHT there are 10 more that never surface. I personally know two people that had their start-ups crushed by using your services and both of them would not know what WHT is if it hit them with a hammer.

If you believe my words to be untrue please let me prove the contrary. Your current signatures states that you have a
    Industry Leading VPS SALE
    Now then it is quite clear that no measurable aspect of your VPS offers are setting an industry record and most certainly that you do not lead the VPS industry in any way of form. Therefore, your false advertising makes you a fake. However do not feel bad most of the people that offer, "Unlimited unlimiting" keep you company.

As for the trickster part well that proven beyond any reasonable doubt by the BurstNET incident in which you tricked them and caused considerable damage to both your providers and your clients.