Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dallas / Vegas and Northern VA

I am looking to expand into a few locations over the next month or so.

Primarily looking to colocate and run game and voice servers, I would like some advice on some reputable providers in these markets that would provide good service and optimal latency.

Thanks in advanced

Two hosts that are active on these boards are LionLink and FastServ for Northern Virginia. You will find both have good reviews here, and as a plus, both owners are active here.
    Justin Yancey | Northern Virginia & District of Columbia | https://www.linkedin.com/in/justinyancey

We have a cabinet with LionLink and are big fans of their network and customer service.

I'm sure you already know this, but you should also make sure that any of the providers you select for your collocation do not have Cogent bandwidth in your mix, otherwise you'll more than likely have several dropped packets and higher than normal latency.

Are you looking for just a couple slots, or are you looking for 1/4 (1/2?) cabinet space?
    Doug Hazard - "retired" Web Hosting Master
    * Full Stack (Web/WP) Dev for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond (160+ sites)
    * Sports Photographer, Media Personality and CFB Historian
    * Tech Admin for several Sports Networks/Sites

try the offer section or the host voice service here at WHT
    http://www.QuoteColo.com - Colocation, Miner Hosting, Dedicated and Cloud Hosting Quotes

Talking

There are a number of providers you can use for partial cabs. I'd recommend QuoteColo or DataCenterMap for a provider-agnostic quote.
    InfoRelay Online Systems, Inc.
    Colocation | Cloud | Data Centers | Bandwidth | Managed Services
    New York / Northern Virginia / Chicago / Dallas / Miami / Los Angeles / San Jose
    www.InfoRelay.com/Services/Data-Centers

yeah, couple slots or partial cab is what I am after. On a good bandwidth blend and no Cogent, preferably no HE either.
    Last edited by oomph; 10-03-2013 at 01:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by oomph View Post
    yeah, couple slots or partial cab is what I am after. On a good bandwidth blend and no Cogent, preferably no HE either.
    Have you looked at Expert Colocation? I know a few people who went with them and haven't had any complaints. http://expertcolocation.com/special-offers.php

Also check out Fiberhub. They have LAS space for a 1/4 cab for $289.
    http://www.fiberhub.com/promotions/?...FYtQOgod_wYAmw
    New York / Northern Virginia / Chicago / Dallas / Miami / Los Angeles / San Jose

Quote Originally Posted by oomph View Post
    I'm sure I'm about to start 'that debate again' but...Gonna be hard to find these days. Cogent is one of the largest networks on the planet and getting harder to pass off. As an example, every provider mentioned and/or posting so far in this thread has cogent and/or HE in the mix.

I'll say it again - the key is intelligent routing, not 'provider x or provider y'. E.g. cogent for routes cogent is good at (cogent customers), and likewise for others.

I'm also a bit sideways about a supposed 'community guide' throwing these kind of statements around especially when their own network has Cogent in it:

http://bgp.he.net/AS14670
    Last edited by FastServ; 10-03-2013 at 10:01 AM.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | DDOS Protected | Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

You should take a look into Incero. Gordon at Incero is a great guy. If your looking into Virginia, I would recommend FastServ.

Quote Originally Posted by CloudComputingLV View Post
    You should take a look into Incero. Gordon at Incero is a great guy. If your looking into Virginia, I would recommend FastServ.
    Bump - Gordon has a very good rep on WHT

Thanks for the advice. Signed up with Incero after a bit of research, apparently they are dropping cogent in November as well. We'll see how it goes.

Scratch Dallas off the list. Will look into Fastserv and other VA providers, as well as Vegas.

There are lots of facilities in NOVA.. just take your pick you'll find selections everywhere.

Dallas.. You can't go wrong with someone inside of informart

Vegas only has one real winner and that is switchnap
    Yellow Fiber Networks
    http://www.yellowfiber.net : Managed Solutions - Colocation - Network Services IPv4/IPv6
    Ashburn/Denver/NYC/Dallas/Chicago Markets Served zak@yellowfiber.net

Want to put a nod out here for RichWeb.com in Ashland, VA. They do not list prices on their site (for a reason), but we've been extremely pleased with them. Running a site on a cluster of servers that gets just as much traffic as WHT does.

CAVEAT: We've only been on their boxes for about 3 weeks, HOWEVER, with as tech savvy as I am and my 13+ years of Hosting industry experience, I will have to say that it takes a LOT to impress me... and these guys have done just that.

Their primary facility is a leased cage at one facility, however, they control their own network, power and IP transit. That facility is about 10 minutes away from their office. They are currently building out their second facility, which is 30 feet behind their office. They will own that one outright, but continue to run and operate out of the first facility. They're working to separate their client markets into two separate facilities, so one market segment goes into their first facility, the other market segment goes into the new buildout (which should be completed in a few weeks).
    Last edited by Douglas; 10-03-2013 at 01:59 PM.
    Doug Hazard - "retired" Web Hosting Master
    * Full Stack (Web/WP) Dev for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond (160+ sites)
    * Sports Photographer, Media Personality and CFB Historian
    * Tech Admin for several Sports Networks/Sites

We use Fast Serv in Ashburn. As you can tell, Randy knows his stuff .
    ~ @PreetamJinka

There a several high quality data centers around the Washington, DC area. If you aren't from the area (as I see you are looking at three geographically diverse locations) make sure your provider has decent Hands & Eyes rates. NoVA can be an expensive area since the Washington, DC market is a large market.
    Doug
    Finance, Operations, and Business Executive

Quote Originally Posted by Spudstr View Post
    There are lots of facilities in NOVA.. just take your pick you'll find selections everywhere.

Dallas.. You can't go wrong with someone inside of informart

Vegas only has one real winner and that is switchnap

SuperNAP is a superior facility. It's the clear definition of Tier 4.

Quote Originally Posted by CloudComputingLV View Post
    SuperNAP is a superior facility. It's the clear definition of Tier 4.
    same thing?
    REDUNDANT.COMEquinix Data Centers Performance Optimized Network
    Managed & Unmanaged
    • Servers • Colocation • Cloud • VEEAM
    sales@redundant.com

Quote Originally Posted by Techy View Post
    There a several high quality data centers around the Washington, DC area. If you aren't from the area (as I see you are looking at three geographically diverse locations) make sure your provider has decent Hands & Eyes rates. NoVA can be an expensive area since the Washington, DC market is a large market.
    Bump. @bigbrain is a great company to colo with as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Techy View Post
    NoVA can indeed be a pricey place. Asking for remote hands/eyes rates would be a good thing to do here, but then again, it should be done for any provider. Some providers are charging ~$250 for an hour of remote hands.

The good thing about the market being so large here is if the rates are unsatisfactory, it would be easy to find a freelancer to provide remote hands/eyes services.
    Justin Yancey | Northern Virginia & District of Columbia | https://www.linkedin.com/in/justinyancey

Quote Originally Posted by FastServ View Post
    I'm sure I'm about to start 'that debate again' but...Gonna be hard to find these days. Cogent is one of the largest networks on the planet and getting harder to pass off. As an example, every provider mentioned and/or posting so far in this thread has cogent and/or HE in the mix.

I'll say it again - the key is intelligent routing, not 'provider x or provider y'. E.g. cogent for routes cogent is good at (cogent customers), and likewise for others.

I'm also a bit sideways about a supposed 'community guide' throwing these kind of statements around especially when their own network has Cogent in it:

Agreed with Randy on this. Not to mention, if you're good at traffic engineering and know how to optimize your network appropriately than any "Cogent issues" aren't a problem. :-)
    LionLink Networks
    Ashburn Data Center Colocation, Infrastructure Solutions, and Premium Optimized Connectivity
    Infrastructure and Colocation Solutions For All Sizes - Managed Services - Dedicated Servers - Data Center Consulting - Now POP'd @ RagingWire! | www.lionlink.net | sales@lionlink.net | (844) DATA-CENTER | Ashburn Colocation

What kind of deployment are we talking here? A couple racks or a couple servers?
    Everett Thompson, CEO - "Largest list of data centers on the planet." Strategy, Design, Brokerage, Finance
    US Data Center List
    International Data Center List

Quote Originally Posted by FastServ View Post

I would agree entirely. Cogent is the 5th largest global carrier, they have a TON of users on their network. If you don't have them in your network, you're missing out.

As FastServ said, the key is having intelligent routing, not someone who simply passes everything off to Cogent because it is the cheapest. With our intelligent routing, Cogent is the best path (based on latency and packet loss) for about 10% of our traffic. Having them in the network improves performance for that 10% of traffic, so why would we NOT have them?

To note, I still feel Cogent is horrid to work with in a business-sense, but this is about the network engineering side.
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

I've had space at CoreXchange's Connection facility in Dallas for almost 3 years now and have had good success with them without any major issues. I recommend giving them a look and see what they can do for you.

In the past almost 3 years, the only issues I've had is with some of their providers in the CoreXchange BGP blend doing some really weird routing with some ISP's. All it took was a support ticket and talking with the network team and the issues got resolved right away.

We went ahead and co-located with Randy at FastServ. We have had his service for 2 weeks now, but so far so good. We had to make a quick move for one of our servers, and he had us up and running in 30 minutes, which was great. Within the first week of having service we experienced a DDOS attack, which he proactively null routed and notified us of the attack. Customer service has been excellent, especially compared to some of the larger providers that we deal with on our other servers. Very pleased thus far, thanks for the recommendation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast