Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking for High Spec dedicated servers with 3-4 nics

Hello,

Are there any reliable providers on the East Coast / Dallas / Chicago here that are able to provide unmanaged servers with 3 x 1Gb NICs OR 1x1Gbps & 1x10GE NIC?

These servers will all be behind a HW Firewall Appliance. The extra 1Gbps NIC or 10GE NIC will be used for our storage network.

So far its seems only Leaseweb does such a configuration and I would like to get a couple more quotes.

To start we are going to need about 5 servers with the following specs:

One (1) x Server for Firewall
    Intel Xeon E3-1270v2
    8GB DDR Ram
    4x1TB SATA2
    1 x 1Gbps (Public)
    1 x 1Gbps (Private)
    10TB Bandwidth

One (1) x Storage Server (8-Bay Chassis)
    Single Xeon E3-1270v2
    16GB Ram
    2x1TB SATA2 RAID 1 (OS)
    6x3TB SATA2 HW RAID 10 with BBU (NFS Storage)
    3x1Gbps OR 1x1Gbps & 1x10GE (All for Private LAN)

Three (3) x Hardware Nodes
    Dual Intel Hexa-Core Xeon E5-2620
    64GB DDR3 RAM
    4x1TB SATA2 with Raid 10
    3x1Gbps OR 1x1Gbps & 1x10GE (All for Private LAN)

I understand that this would be a custom configuration and any prospective provider would want to know that this is not a short term solution hence we are willing to commit to a 12 month contract or even longer provided the price is right!

<<snipped>>

Thanks

Elkabong
    Last edited by Chris_M; 10-01-2013 at 12:11 PM.

What is your budget for this project? Do you have a timeline for how soon you need to get it going?
    GenesisAdaptive.com · IP Transit and Connectivity, Colocation, & Enterprise IT Services
    █ Available in 9 Metros, 3 Continents, 1/10/40/100G Ports.
    Follow us on Twitter @GenesisAdaptive!
    █ Phone: (309) 807-5261 · Email: leec @genesisadaptive.com

What is the bandwidth required? Is it around 10 TB?

What is the bandwidth required? Is it around 10 TB?
    All of my requirements including bandwidth are listed on my post!

I am sure 100tb will be able to do this with very good SLA but the cost will be definitely higher than Leaseweb.

I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions, just some questions.

Why do you say SATA2 for everything? Do you mean at least SATA2?

Why do you have 4 x 1TB for your firewall?

If you were given the 1x1G & 1x10G NICs as opposed to your 3x1G NIC option, would you need a 10G switch or would you provide that? I'm guessing the 3 Nics are so the storage server can be connected to each of the HW nodes? But with only 1x10G you cannot do that.

Could I ask why your servers behind your firewall have larger uplinks than the server that is the firewall?

Surely that's a little counterproductive?

Quote Originally Posted by Flapadar View Post
    Could I ask why your servers behind your firewall have larger uplinks than the server that is the firewall?

Surely that's a little counterproductive?
    As he said its for his storage server backend. Having highspeed links between the NFS server and the nodes.

Quote Originally Posted by HackedServer View Post
    Why do you say SATA2 for everything? Do you mean at least SATA2?
    I am missing your point. Look at what you wrote

Why do you have 4 x 1TB for your firewall?
    Simple, because most of those servers already come with 4x1TB Drives so the difference in cost is negligible

If you were given the 1x1G & 1x10G NICs as opposed to your 3x1G NIC option, would you need a 10G switch or would you provide that? I'm guessing the 3 Nics are so the storage server can be connected to each of the HW nodes? But with only 1x10G you cannot do that.
    That's correct I would need a switch from the provider.

Quote Originally Posted by HackedServer View Post
    As he said its for his storage server backend. Having highspeed links between the NFS server and the nodes.
    HackedServer, that's correct. I am actually building a sort of mini cloud where everything will be behind a firewall like pfSense or some Firewall Appliance.

I know there are plenty of providers out there offering IaaS but after 12 months of hell with a Private Cloud solution from my current Provider I really want to design, build and manage my own so I have more control and I can tweak things how I want and monitor stuff myself.

Any decent sized provider should be able to handle this, your requirements are pretty basic, its just a more advanced setup that normal since you are dealing with 5 years interconnected here. I can understand a local 1G connection between the servers for backups but why 10G? The servers specified cant even produce that much throughput, you would be fine on 1G. I am also confused why you would use a server as a firewall solution, thats just a bad idea.
    SolaDrive - Enterprise Managed Server Solutions
    Specializing in Managed NVMe VPS & Dedicated Servers in US & UK
    Visit us at SolaDrive.com

Hm, sounds like pretty standard configs, really.

Hardware wise pretty much anyone that is willing to do a semi-custom config can do this with HP or Supermicro servers.

Use new Supermicro Dual E5s for Hardware nodes - They have 2x 10G onboard (Broadcom, but it works.).
    For the other nodes a NIC is required, but it is not that expensive.
    A 4port 10G Switch (Netgear for the cheapskates, works great with HPs Broadcom NICs as it is is Broadcom based as well) costs like 1500$.

You might need to invest a bit in a setup fee though, providers to check would be on high budget softlayer (the 10GE Int/Ext networking is an upgrade option on most servers), middle budget like Choopa/Constant.com, Low budget burstnet and very low budget some of the Kansas city providers (wholesale internet, joeys).

Quote Originally Posted by SolaDrive - John View Post
    Any decent sized provider should be able to handle this, your requirements are pretty basic, its just a more advanced setup that normal since you are dealing with 5 years interconnected here.
    It might be a basic setup but nearly every provider that I called told me that they don't support more than two NICs in a server and 10GE was out of the question.

I can understand a local 1G connection between the servers for backups but why 10G? The servers specified cant even produce that much throughput, you would be fine on 1G.
    Every cloud technology that I have research do recommend 10GE for Storage. Also, I expect to increase the initial 3 HW Nodes in the not too distant future.

I am also confused why you would use a server as a firewall solution, thats just a bad idea.
    I agreed its not a great idea and I have explained to providers that if they are able to provide a FW appliance like a SonicWall TZ15 for example that supports SSL VPN I will be happy to replace the pfSense box.

Well most MB's come with 2 nics by default, supermicro's new MB's I think are coming with more now though. But I dont see why they cant use a pci-e nic card?

Yeah for bigger clouds I could see it being necessary and maybe if you are planning to run backups all at the same time.
    SolaDrive - Enterprise Managed Server Solutions
    Specializing in Managed NVMe VPS & Dedicated Servers in US & UK
    Visit us at SolaDrive.com

Well most MB's come with 2 nics by default, supermicro's new MB's I think are coming with more now though. But I dont see why they cant use a pci-e nic card?

Yeah for bigger clouds I could see it being necessary and maybe if you are planning to run backups all at the same time.
    Well the 7 or so providers other than Leaseweb that I have spoken to all been telling me that there standard configuration is with two nics and their network doesn't support multiple nics which is why I had to come here and check the wider community.

We need a good pipe on our private LAN since the cloud is primarily for VoIP applications and we are trying to eliminate as many bottlenecks as possible.

Check out Incero: www.incero.com or sales@incero.com We use them for our Dallas Nodes and they have always been great. More than willing to do 10G
    █ Subnet Labs, LLC | Deploy to Seattle, Dallas or New York City
    Impact VPS | Cloud Servers | Impact Shared | Shared Hosting | Software Development

Quote Originally Posted by elkabong View Post
    Well the 7 or so providers other than Leaseweb that I have spoken to all been telling me that there standard configuration is with two nics and their network doesn't support multiple nics which is why I had to come here and check the wider community.

We need a good pipe on our private LAN since the cloud is primarily for VoIP applications and we are trying to eliminate as many bottlenecks as possible.
    Their network need not support multiple NICs since you only need them for private network. I think any provider should be able to add another NIC and connect it to your private switch. Maybe you should contact them again and specifically ask them if adding one more NIC and connecting it to the private switch is going to be a problem - their regular network will never see the extra NIC.

Also, why do you want 1x1Gbps and 1x10Gbps when both are going to be used for private LAN? Won't 1x10Gbps be enough?

Quote Originally Posted by nikhil500 View Post
    Their network need not support multiple NICs since you only need them for private network. I think any provider should be able to add another NIC and connect it to your private switch. Maybe you should contact them again and specifically ask them if adding one more NIC and connecting it to the private switch is going to be a problem - their regular network will never see the extra NIC.
    Most of those providers told me point blank that they don't offer such custom setups. So far only Leaseweb, PhoenixNAP (SecuredServers) and Carolina Internet seem to offer custom setups.

Quote Originally Posted by nikhil500 View Post
    Also, why do you want 1x1Gbps and 1x10Gbps when both are going to be used for private LAN? Won't 1x10Gbps be enough?
    The 1x1Gbps is for the uplink to the internet via the Firewall and the 1x10Gbps is for the storage network only.

I agreed its not a great idea and I have explained to providers that if they are able to provide a FW appliance like a SonicWall TZ15 for example that supports SSL VPN I will be happy to replace the pfSense box.
    Why do you think it is a bad idea?

Most (not all) of the inexpensive 1u firewalls are nothing more than software based solutions as well. In this case an E3 is going to provide equal or better performance.

There are still some higher end firewalls that are hardware based that can process rules in hardware (asic) with much more scale than a software based solution.

Depending on what you are trying to firewall, your hosting provider should also be able to filter some of the traffic at their network layer for you to reduce the load on your servers.

As far as the config you are asking for, I don't see any issues on there that would make it difficult for you to obtain from multiple hosting providers.
    REDUNDANT.COMEquinix Data Centers Performance Optimized Network
    Managed & Unmanaged
    • Servers • Colocation • Cloud • VEEAM
    sales@redundant.com

All of my requirements including bandwidth are listed on my post!
    This is called signature spam. (I mean the post you are quoting here) Ask some nonsensical question that you already answered just to get their signature in front of you.

On this forum providers are not supposed to contact you about a post such as this. However they can ask questions, provide guidance, etc. In return for providing help they get to display their signature in hopes you will want to contact them.

In this case, I would question why someone would want to contact them for asking such a basic question, that as you said, was already answered.

IMO, a better response would be maybe to draw up a network diagram for you showing the equipment, interconnects and adding some value to your environment. That is just me though.
    Managed & Unmanaged
    sales@redundant.com

I don't think this is an extremely unusual request and there are quite a few providers who should be able to handle this for you however in your post you mentioned: 3x1Gbps OR 1x1Gbps & 1x10GE (All for Private LAN)
    Are you only looking for 3Gbps of connectivity? It would be smart to go for the 3 x 1Gbps vs 1 x 10G (if 3Gbps was sufficient) for redundancy.. Or go with dual 10Gbps, a more expensive solution of course
    My opinions are my own and do not reflect on the company's views unless otherwise stated.

Sad for you but most of the big providers they do not care about your custom configuration to be honest. They have totally standard configs and selling a tons of new servers + 2 more tons in the outlet daily . Your best bet is to buy the equipment and use colocation. Especially if you really plan to pay for 12 months upfront.
    QHoster.com - Web Hosting with DDoS Protection | Shared & Reseller in Europe/North America
    Linux/Windows RDP VPS 13 Locations : UK, US (5 states), Mexico, Canada, Bulgaria, Lithuania,
    Italy, France, Germany,Netherlands, Switzerland, Rissia, Singapore | OpenVPN/PPTP Enabled
    INSTANT | PayPal, Skrill, Payza, Bitcoin, WebMoney, Perfect Money, Ukash, CashU, paysafecard

There seems to be a lot of confusion in this thread, but one question I'm still asking is:

The 10 Gbps links, that's just a private network between the servers right? The public uplink will still be a standard 1 Gbps?

If so, I can't see why this would be a problem, a provider would just need to put 10 Gbps NICs on a riser in a 1U and hook it up to a private 10 Gig switch.
    ReliableSite.Net LLC - Offering Enterprise Grade Dedicated Servers Since 2006 [New York City metro / Miami, FL / Los Angeles, CA]
    Customers are our #1 priority - Read Our Reviews
    Need epic pricing on 1G and 10G unmetered? We have amazing deals and a 10 minute setup time! Click here to view incredible deals.

Quote Originally Posted by RSNET-John View Post
    There seems to be a lot of confusion in this thread, but one question I'm still asking is:

The 10 Gbps links, that's just a private network between the servers right? The public uplink will still be a standard 1 Gbps?

If so, I can't see why this would be a problem, a provider would just need to put 10 Gbps NICs on a riser in a 1U and hook it up to a private 10 Gig switch.
    The extra 1Gbps NIC or 10GE NIC will be used for our storage network.
    How is this confusing? Clearly the OP states that it is for the storage network (i.e. between the storage nodes and the hypervisors)

Now, one thing I am a little unclear on though. What standards are you following for your Tier 4 facility?
    Managed & Unmanaged
    sales@redundant.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ionity View Post
    How is this confusing? Clearly the OP states that it is for the storage network (i.e. between the storage nodes and the hypervisors)
    I'm referring to the comments afterwards. Sounded like a public uplink was required in some responses, just wanted to clear things up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ionity View Post
    Now, one thing I am a little unclear on though. What standards are you following for your Tier 4 facility?
    Completely off topic, and I know what thread you're relating this to, I have removed this from my signature. If you would like to discuss you are more than welcome to private message me.
    ReliableSite.Net LLC - Offering Enterprise Grade Dedicated Servers Since 2006 [New York City metro / Miami, FL / Los Angeles, CA]
    Customers are our #1 priority - Read Our Reviews
    Need epic pricing on 1G and 10G unmetered? We have amazing deals and a 10 minute setup time! Click here to view incredible deals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast