DDoS Policy for dedicated server

I wanted to share some of the hosting provider extreme DDoS policy

I was a customer for more 4 years with easyspeedy. Last few weeks my server was targeted with DDoS and because easyspeedy has automated system were they null-route the targeted IP. At the begging they brought it back within 24 hours but when the attack continued they told me they will enable the IP after a WEEK! Actually the attacker knew this and all they had to do attack few minutes and wait for easyspeedy to null-route they IP. This policy played to the attacker advantage and they brought the whole server down by attacking all IP. I had to terminate my account.

Another provider seflow told me up front before I buy any server they will terminate the account if the server gets DDoS. The funny thing is that they claim they have DDoS protection.

so ? many providers dont want to deal with ddos attacks and customers who get them.

Quote Originally Posted by ICEQA View Post

I was a customer for more 4 years with easyspeedy. Last few weeks my server was targeted with DDoS and because easyspeedy has automated system were they null-route the targeted IP. At the begging they brought it back within 24 hours but when the attack continued they told me they will enable the IP after a WEEK! Actually the attacker knew this and all they had to do attack few minutes and wait for easyspeedy to null-route they IP. This policy played to the attacker advantage and they brought the whole server down by attacking all IP. I had to terminate my account.

Another provider seflow told me up front before I buy any server they will terminate the account if the server gets DDoS. The funny thing is that they claim they have DDoS protection.

Hi,
    are you sure that we said this? We had lot ddos protected dedicated server in our network. All our server come with free 500Mbps DDoS protection so is strange that someone in company say you that we terminate account for DDoS. Most probably we said you that we terminate account if you receive lot DDoS attack other 500Mbps (and you're using free DDoS Protection) and you not accept upgrade to paid protection (that is lot different). If DDoS are less than 500mbps nobody will block you.

Regards
    Matteo Berlonghi - SeFlow s.n.c.
    http://www.seflow.net Dedicated And Cloud DDoS Protected Servers - 4.2Tbps IN-house DDoS Protection Capacity - Are you searching remote proxy or network infrastructure protection? Contact us
    Email Contact: [email protected]

I'm sharing the info. In my view if a provider does not want to deal with a DDoS attack or wants to terminate customer account because they got attacked then this should be communicated up front.

This type of policy is A WEAKNESS!

Nowadays you can rent a botnet to DDoS and launch an attack to any site easily. Hosting companies need to be prepared and put mitigation/policy in place for this type of attacks instead of kicking off their customers or soon they will be out of business.

In reality only a small fraction of customers ever get attacked. So it is normal that providers prefer to let these customers go, instead of increasing the cost for all their customers (and thus making their offers less attractive).
    A nullroute is also a kind of DDoS mitigating - it is kind of self protection for the provider's network.

Quote Originally Posted by MatteoB View Post
    Hi,
    are you sure that we said this?

Regards
    You can check the chat log for sales

There are no provider that protect you for free. DDoS protection (i mean real protection) are costly and require high unused bandwidth avaiability and some really expensive devices.

Is too easy "ehy i receive attack, protect me!"

We receive lot chat a day, can you please send to my mail matteob [at] seflow . net the transcript or the email used?

Thank you
    http://www.seflow.net Dedicated And Cloud DDoS Protected Servers - 4.2Tbps IN-house DDoS Protection Capacity - Are you searching remote proxy or network infrastructure protection? Contact us

Do you know the particular website that was the target of the attack? In the future, it'd be to your benefit to protect that website with a service like Cloudflare. You can use Cloudflare and keep your sites hosted with the less expensive non-DDoS protected providers.
    ▄▀▄ Brian Harrison, Lead Engineer - Reprise Hosting (AS62838)
    ▄▀▄ Deals on cheap dedicated server hosting. IPMI included! Unmetered bandwidth.
    ▄▀▄ Website migration, 24/7/365 support, basic server setup, 15 day money back.
    ▄▀▄ Looking for DEALS on self-managed cheap VPS hosting? Visit VPSHostingDEAL.com

Quote Originally Posted by MatteoB View Post

Is too easy "ehy i receive attack, protect me!"
    Actually I'm not asking for a protection but a more sensible policy/action is to null-route IP until the attack is over.

Terminating an account is extreme
    Last edited by ICEQA; 10-01-2013 at 03:29 AM.

hi,
    i just found the chat, you're right there was a misunderstanding. i talked with my employee, he consider that you read in our website and we're a DDoS protected provider and ask for attack other our server limit (10Gbps) where an automatic 1 hour null route is applied.

I confirm that for attack we not close account even attack are continuously other protection limit and customer don't want upgrade.

Regards

Nowadays you can rent a botnet to DDoS and launch an attack to any site easily.
    Welcome to the reality.

Really, this is old news. Anyone can rent a "booter" or a "stresser" for 5 USD and many give you a free trial. Mitigation exists, and it'll cost 500+. It's not fair, but that's how it is. Have a plan B?

Also look at BuyVM's protected IPs (you can forward traffic to your dedi).

This is normal in hosting business. Nobody will protect you for free and DDO's affecting whole network a lot, so they nullroute, because they need to protect other customers in the same network.

Also providers can't just turn IP on whenever they want. If it is not a first time in short time, they can't turn on in less than 24 hours. There are some network routing rules and it is better NOT to brake them.
    Andrius Petkus, Chief commercial officer @ Bacloud.com data centers.
    Build your cheap dedicated server, Affordable high power Windows SSD VPS
    Payment methods: Bitcoins, Credit cards, PayPal, WebMoney, Perfect Money, Safety Pay, Cashu, Bank transfer.

To avoid such a situation, the OP, it's better to use DDoS protection service from the company which has a narrow specialization like r00t-services.net. They are able to protect your IT business from any DDoS attacks at very reasonable prices.
    I use them personally and like them.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhouse View Post
    so ? many providers dont want to deal with ddos attacks and customers who get them.
    Just get a server from OVH.Right now they are "Sold out" but still selling servers on requests, if interested then contact their support department.They offer upto 480 Gbps of DDOS protection & do not nullroute your IP in case of DDOS

It's normal for hosting providers to nullroute your IP in case an attack is large enough to affect their network, even though 1 week is really a lot of time. Normally it's a few hours up to 24 hours. DDoS mitigation is very expensive, so if every hosting provider would include this for free, the hosting packages/servers would be a lot more expensive. Also, as other people already mentioned, there aren't many people who are actually under DDoS, so it's just not worth it for normal hosting providers.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmiroro View Post
    To avoid such a situation, the OP, it's better to use DDoS protection service from the company which has a narrow specialization like r00t-services.net. They are able to protect your IT business from any DDoS attacks at very reasonable prices.
    I use them personally and like them.
    Thanks for the recommendation.
    Inbound Marketing & real SEO for web hosting providers
    ✎ Get in touch with me: co<at>infinitnet.de

you may try ovh they offer ddos protection for free with any server and as i heard they can handle 100 gbps of ddos with no problem at all
    they use something called VAC mitigation unit they claim this system can handle up to 160 gps of ddos
    Last edited by badboyx; 10-01-2013 at 06:34 AM.

I'm sharing the info. In my view if a provider does not want to deal with a DDoS attack or wants to terminate customer account because they got attacked then this should be communicated up front.

Nowadays you can rent a botnet to DDoS and launch an attack to any site easily. Hosting companies need to be prepared and put mitigation/policy in place for this type of attacks instead of kicking off their customers or soon they will be out of business.
    This echos my sentiment that in the future there will not be hosting providers and DDoS protection providers, only hosting providers who are DDoS protected.